Anyone invest in wine/Grange?

Discussion in 'Other Asset Classes' started by Truly Exotic, 25th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

Anyone invest in or an expert in wine investment,

I dont expect stellar returns as I am a fan of it, am happy to drink my own stock at some point,

I just dont want to overpay from day 1, and for wines like grange the secondary wine market is surpriginly week

eg the newest grange is $755 at Dan murphys

looking at langtons and wickmans, it seems newly released vintages drop a fair bit after a short period,

am happy to pick up a few of the new ones if it holds the price

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Fixed that for you ;-)

3. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Big on my wines. I prefer a Hill of Grace (HOG) personally.
    Or even keeping with Penfolds St. Henri.

As for Grange, hold off unless it's urgent. Become a member of Dan Murphys reckon there was a special a little while ago for $600-700 for a decent back vintage 2012 from memory.

paulF likes this.
  4. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

St Henri is my favourite wine. Bought a 2012 bottle to celebrate becoming an Aus citizen earlier this year. Superb drinking.

Brady likes this.
  5. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Langtons is the go to... the challenge can be knowing what conditions it has been stored in. The tip I got was to look for lots that are sold in high volume as it is more likely they have been stored in good conditions.

We have some but I wouldn't say we've invested in it as I fully intend the value will have depreciated to $0 in a number of years :p

6. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

A mate of mine sold a Grange bottle in pristine condition back to Penfolds a few months back. Can't recall the year but i think it was a low 80's and he said he got more than 3K for it.
    It was bought back to be put on display apparently.

Putting the investment bit aside, anyone else finds Grange to be overrated as a wine?
    I find that a few 100 dollar mark wines if not less than that tastes much better IMHO

Brady likes this.
  7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I see Grange every now and again at the auctions for Police seized property assets ect..

Those sell for depending on the date from $20.00 up too 150, I saw a entire wall of grange several years ago from a well know high end barrister who had it all stored in a room within his chambers then went through the qld public trustee auction on the floor in wood dated boxes because there was no will in place ,and his understanding of german amg motors..

I do collect the below not to resell just every now and again..imho..

Wynns John Riddoch Cabernet Sauvignon 2012

An iconic Connawarra Cabernet Sauvignon, Wynns John Riddoch Cabernet Sauvignon is named after the local pioneer, pastoralist and parliamentarian, John Riddoch. This red is sourced from the very best of Wynns vast planting in Coonawarra and it is only made in the years that best express Wynns strive for excellence. Arguably richer and more complex from comparable styles in the region, John Riddoch Cabernet is highly sought after and extremely limited.

Last edited: 26th Oct, 2018
    TMNT and paulF like this.
  8. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I have a bottle of Penfolds Grange 1977, being ignorant about such matters, is it worth anything?

9. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

not a big wine drinker, but i generally prefer henschke over penfolds

Brady likes this.
  10. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Wynns Coonawarra Cab Sav is one of my favourite drinking wines. I'm terrible at cellaring so pick up the Dan Murphys Cellar Release bottles when I see them :) A little more pricey, but cheaper than the cost of proper storage! I'll have to give the John Riddoch version a try.

I prefer Cab Sav to Shiraz, so Grange doesn't have massive appeal for me. Penfolds Bin 707 is pretty damn good though.

Cheers,
    Inertia

The Falcon likes this.
  11. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

I'm the opposite to your @inertia not a fan of Cab at all, most grange actually have a blend of some cab in them.
    I don't mind the 707 as far a Cab's go, but feel like it's wasted on me. Probably the same as you with a lot of Shiraz

12. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The black label wynns Coonawarra cab sav,s are very good --the ""Riddock"" is one of those standout's ,I have had some of my best investment ideas after drinking 2 bottles ..

inertia likes this.
  13. Truly Exotic

let me taste it and Ill tell you ;)

14. Truly Exotic

15. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

They say wine is better from drought years - more concentrated. I wonder what this year's harvest will be like.

16. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Dry years are good - but also needs to be consistent.
    Langton's has a chart which is pretty useful - obviously different regions different weather.
    Vintage Chart | Langton's Fine Wines
    For Barossa Shiraz rough guide.... even years are best recently.

17. Buynow

Buynow Well-Known Member

No feasible here - gets drunk too quickly .....

18. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

TWE is just marketing machine producing good (at the top end) but overly expensive wine. I no longer buy any Pennies product as it's now a Luxury brand co and refuse to be a sucker....Grange for example is just a multi-region blend, albeit a pretty good one at that!

For those that are keen on high end Barossa Shiraz at far better value, look for Standish Wine Co's offerings at around $110/bottle if you can find them. "The Standish" which is single vineyard old vine Shiraz is a cracker, finesse and power. I'd also highly rate Barossa Valley Estate's E&E Black Pepper Shiraz, also around at $105/bottle range. I've tasted the 2016 at the Langtons Classification recently and its excellent, will be released to market soon.

Last edited: 29th Oct, 2018
  19. The Falcon

Black Label is a good one to put away for 15+ years I think....good value, but nowhere near its best when its young! I wont open any of them inside 10 years after learning from experience.

willair likes this.
  20. The Falcon

100%. I am leery of auction wine after being stung with cooked vino that must have been in an Adelaide shed in summer!