Anyone invest in the US?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by John Makrylos, 11th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. John Makrylos

John Makrylos Member

Hi,

Just interested to know how many Australians are looking into the US market to diverse their portfolio.

There are areas in the mid-west where the median property prices range from 60k to 120k for a solid 3 bed 2 bath home.

Rent can range from anywhere to $900 - $1400 depending on the type of property such as single family or multi-family.

Let me know your thoughts?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

3. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

@John Makrylos As @The Y-man said there are few topics already open. Maybe you can share your experience? What, where, when, profits and so on so other people can learn from you...I am sure if the deal is there there will be people interested to participate to the discussion.

4. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Hows it looking lately with CV-19, just read the below

Nearly one-third of U.S. apartment renters did not pay any April rent in the first week of the month, according to the National Multifamily Housing Council and a group of real estate data providers.

• For comparison’s sake...19% of tenants did not pay any rent in the first week of March and 18% didn’t in April 2019.
    Zoom out: This is not a case of mass “I left the check on the kitchen table.” The statistic highlights the severe pressure the coronavirus crisis has put on personal finances. Nearly 10 million Americans filed for unemployment in the last two weeks of March alone.

• A few notes about the data, to cover our bases: It does not count single-family homes and excludes public housing and subsidized affordable housing.
    What’s...going to happen?
    Local and state governments across the country have enacted eviction moratoriums to keep people in their homes—for example, in March NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo suspended evictions for 90 days. But this economic crisis will last longer than those moratoriums, so some officials predict a “tidal wave” of evictions in a few months unless they act.

There’s been some action:
    • The $2.2 trillion rescue package from the federal government expands unemployment coverage and gives most Americans a one-time direct payment. That aid should help, though it’s not directly tied to the housing market.
    • One NYC landlord became a folk hero when he waived April rent for his 200 tenants.
    But those stopgap measures aren’t enough on their own, especially because the real estate market has more moving parts than Westworld.

As Bloomberg’s Brian Chappatta writes, if tenants can’t afford to pay rent then property owners may default on mortgage payments. “That could bring the problem squarely onto the balance sheets of large U.S. banks.”

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So many variables and different outcome dependent on State etc

touch wood no problems so far, got all my rents in this month. Have quite a few long term tenants

Stimulus package in US covers 3 months salary for those who lose their jobs and cash incentives

John Makrylos, David_SYD and Redwing like this.