Health & Family Anyone interested in a weight loss comp?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by spludgey, 29th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

I eat meat and not a vegetarian.
    I never got big or anything. It is a mind set - what goes in must come out or else - boom chaka larka - I am overweight. :p

It is not just about protein, carbs, and fat.
    Macro nutrients is very important too. So many people basically know nothing about it.

spludgey likes this.
  2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Inferring statistics from a single sample point doesn't really work, unfortunately. If you could, I'd be skinny! And wear tie-dyed shirts!

Last edited: 11th Jun, 2021
  3. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

It’s quite controversial but there is no evidence that vegetarian or vegans are more likely to be in healthy weight ranges. India has a predominantly vegetarian population and it’s basically the world leader in type 2 diabetes by a wide margin. Most people over the age of 50 in India are type 2 diabetic.

A vegetarian diet is lacking in vitamin b12 (only meats contain vitamin b12) plus simple starchy carbs being the staple mess up insulin resistance leading to type 2 diabetes. This is arguably one reason covid 19 hit india very hard but was felt with a lot less intensity in neighboring countries where there is higher meat consumption and much lower obesity and type 2 diabetes.

I try my hardest to get 5 serving of veggies everyday but vegetables are beneficial to an extent just like other food sources.

4. spludgey

This is showing the opposite, the closer you are to veganism, the lower the BMI, according to this dataset of over 60,000 people.

"Type of Vegetarian Diet, Body Weight, and Prevalence of Type 2 Diabetes" Type of Vegetarian Diet, Body Weight, and Prevalence of Type 2 Diabetes).

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Eggs and dairy products have B12. Marmite has it, but not normal Vegemite. There's a low salt Vegemite which has B12 added.

spludgey likes this.
  6. standtall

It’s because vegetarians or vegans in western countries have much lower intake of ‘processed foods’ compared to overall population.

Large corporate sponsored studies have very little credibility. There are massive studies up until 90s proving cancer wasn’t caused by tobacco or the whole ‘low fat’ stance which is now being reversed gradually.

India is a great example of type 2 diabetes and vegetarianism.

2FAST4U and skater like this.
  7. standtall

Most dairy is reconstituted and if you need to fortify your diet with synthetic vitamins, you are definitely better off taking a diet which is naturally rich in all nutrients.

8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I tend to think Vegetarians and Vegans watch what they eat much more than other people so they tend to be in the healthy weight range. You need to watch that you get the vitamins and minerals too.

Eating and cooking red meats, the fat that comes out of the cooking and then solidifies on the pan... it's rather disgusting really. Then if you eat that, I'm just thinking of all that getting into your bloodstream... feel like it would cause a heart attack.

So, I'm not buying red meats anymore.

Chicken, pork, fish, no worries.
    And some bacon :D

Last edited: 12th Jun, 2021
    standtall and spludgey like this.
  9. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

spludgey likes this.
  10. spludgey

We are in a western county though and I'd assume most of us were talking about how things generally are around us, I certainly was.

11. standtall

Agree but it's then due to fewer processed foods than vegetarianism. Ketogenic diets are almost opposite to vegetarianism and I can't imagine any keto followers having diabetes.

12. standtall

Any fat you consume gets broken down by your bile into tiny small particles which are broken down by bacteria in your gut and any fat soluble vitamins are absorbed. No dietary fat consumed by you ends up in your bloodstream but this is a common misconception.

100% of fat in your bloodstream comes from excess carbs you consume that body can not use immediately. For most people, sugar and simple carbs are about the major culprit.

Here is an excellent youtube channel by someone who goes into extreme trouble to explain how your gut works..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIe2pR6PE0dae9BunJ38F7w

13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm type 2 diabetic and follow a ketogenic diet (most of the time). If I slip up and have carbs, blood sugar spikes. If I stay on keto I don't need any medication at all.

My diet consists of meat, both red & white, mainly green vegetables, eggs, cheese, coconut oil, unsweetened coconut milk. Virtually no carbs, which means no rice, bread, pasta, sugar etc.

Redwing and standtall like this.
  14. standtall

Thats exactly my diet lately and it helped me drop 6kgs in 4-5 weeks.

skater likes this.
  15. spludgey

Not 3.4kg like last week, but down 2.2kg this week to 115.9kg.
    Quite happy with 5.6kg in two weeks, especially given that I threw by back out and haven't been able to exercise for the past three days.

wylie, Gockie and Islay like this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Not interested in a comp (I am so not competitive) - but decided to give up alcohol and chocolate as the weight creeps back on. Hopeful side effect will be a decent night's sleep

spludgey likes this.
  17. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Curious mind here.
    Can I ask why so many posted here have a yo-yo weight? Is it genetic or your relationship with food?
    I would struggle to gain or lose 2-5 kg in a month for entire life.

18. spludgey

Not sure if this is directed at me, but I don't really yoyo that much, I've put a bit of weight on in the last two years, but have never previously given losing a weight a proper go until a couple of weeks ago. Hoping that I'll be able to settle into a new normal once I reach my target weight, but I know that will be a little bit of a challenge.

Millie likes this.
  19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Think you'll find, for most people, it's a relationship for food. Most people overeat for reasons other than hunger - usually emotional or habitual

I struggled for a long time with food as, as a child, I was not allowed to leave the dinner table until my plate was cleared - therefore it took decades to break the habit of "having to clear the plate" even if I was stuffed full. I crave chocolate at certain times of the month ... but also find that drinking alcohol makes me crave sweets, so giving up one has to go with the other.

Best diet tip I ever had was a girlfriend (who has always been slim and healthy) telling me that she didn't eat unless she was hungry - didn't matter if it was "dinner time", if she wasn't hungry then she didn't eat - was rather a lightbulb as most people rarely experience hunger and instead eat for the above reasons. And so logical.

I also blame drive thru takeaway for the rise in obesity. If people had to actually park, get out of their cars, walk into the shop, order and pay to buy their junk food, then sales would plunge. Would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between the two (drive thru proliferation and obesity)

WattleIdo likes this.
  20. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I might have drive thru fast food once a year.

I also don’t religiously have to have “dinner” every night, it might just be a very small meal.

I have chocolate though and can eat quite a lot in one sitting.
    I won’t have soft drinks and rarely fruit juice.
    I still think I eat more than I should, thank goodness I do a fair amount of exercise to help burn it off/turn it into muscle….

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.