Health & Family Anyone interested in a weight loss comp?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by spludgey, 29th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I think @pinkboy ran something like this a couple of years ago.

I've certainly piled on the pounds during covid and am now sitting at 120kg (198cm).

My idea was a weight loss comp until the new year (don't mind if it's absolute or percentage of the bodyweight) and the losers donate $50 to a charity of the winner's choice (proper large charities only, "Spludgey's Awesome Charity" would unfortunately not qualify).

Anyone interested?

@Simon Hampel if I've inadvertently broken forum rules, please delete.

Never giveup likes this.
  2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Spludge, I never knew you were so big and tall. I better show some respect.

3. spludgey

For some reason I'm not holding my breath on that actually happening! :D

datto likes this.
  4. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

I think this is a great initiative and will motivate someone like me....

I want to shred atleast 8Kg and once I did drop 3kg but then again became comfortable. I do have a semi active lifestyle but I love food and craft beer ;)

5. spludgey

Not off to the greatest start, underestimating my starting weight, but we'll get there.

upload_2021-6-1_19-31-0.png

Redwing likes this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'll follow quietly. I'm not a big build, but feel uncomfortable with the extra 4kg I've put on through the past two years, creeping up slowly.

I'm trying very hard to lose just 3 to 4kg and I'm back to weighing and recording what I eat through the Fatsecret website. I find it great. I don't always weigh things, and I do enjoy treats, but I record them and try to stick within my daily calories. I enjoy the challenge, especially when I see results.

Once I get down to a comfortable weight, I think I'll be able to stay there. It is just the actual losing that is really hard once menopause has had its wicked way with me.

I wish I could just be comfortable at my current weight, but I'm not.

Propin and spludgey like this.
  7. spludgey

Please do and keep me honest!
    I'll try to post an updated graph every week.

What I'm doing is intermittent fasting, where I only eat between 3:30pm and 8:30pm, but for example today I finished dinner by 6pm, so it will be a long 21.5 hour fast tomorrow.
    Only week days though.

Plus I'm not buying any sweets until my second son is born (expected early September).

And just because you're losing weight, doesn't mean you have to stave yourself. That was dinner tonight:
    IMG_20210601_172600.jpg
    • Cauliflower
    • Butter vegetables with fresh parsley from the backyard
    • Sauerkraut
    • Meatless balls
    • Air fried zucchini with light cheese

8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I would love to replace all my fat with muscle!

9. spludgey

Careful there, your brain is pretty much all fat! ;)

10. wylie

I've met you @Gockie and seen your aerial photos. I'm not sure you have any fat to lose. :D

Travelbug likes this.
  11. wylie

I'll report in to keep you honest. It will keep me honest too.

I've tried intermittent fasting. It didn't work and when I googled, it seemed women over 50 and/or through menopause were the only ones who seemed to be saying it didn't work.

I'm just recording everything I eat. I have the calories I need to aim for on a day without exercise, and on a day when I do an hour's exercise (carbs, protein and fat ratio) from a dietitian, so I know roughly what to aim for.

But we had a friend for dinner tonight so I've eaten more than I would have. Tomorrow is another day.

spludgey likes this.
  12. Gockie

I think you are quite skinny…

13. wylie

I think for each of us, we have an ideal weight where we feel comfortable. I'm not a big build, but at 159cm I have nowhere much to hide a few extra kilos. In my early 20s I weighed under 50kg, size 8.

I'm fairly comfortable about 55kg but last weekend the scales told me I as 59.5kg. Time to get serious before I hit 60kg.

I'm reluctant to even whine about being "big", but for a short woman with a small frame, four kg is very visible.

freyja likes this.
  14. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

What apps are you using for recording meals/calories?

15. spludgey

Definitely, you wouldn't want to weigh half a me! ;)

None. I have in the past used Myfitnesspal, but given that I do a 20+ hour fast every workday, I just have to watch what I eat somewhat for a maximum of 4 hours.
    I'm not too militant about hitting each weight loss waypoint exactly, as long as I get down to the total weight loss at the end, it's all good.

16. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Short term, maybe; long term, doubtful.

Comparison of dietary macronutrient patterns of 14 popular named dietary programmes for weight and cardiovascular risk factor reduction in adults: systematic review and network meta-analysis of randomised trials - PubMed

Conclusions: Moderate certainty evidence shows that most macronutrient diets, over six months, result in modest weight loss and substantial improvements in cardiovascular risk factors, particularly blood pressure. At 12 months the effects on weight reduction and improvements in cardiovascular risk factors largely disappear.

spludgey likes this.
  17. Gockie

My body this morning. Not bad but could be better. There's some muffin top above the jeans. 20210602_083106.jpg

wylie and moridog like this.
  18. monk

monk Well-Known Member

Perhaps next time have a smaller 'friend for dinner', then you might not eat so much :D.

Curious2019, wylie and Gockie like this.
  19. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I will follow as well, I lost about 9 kilos on the five and two diet a few years ago, and I've put five of them back on, some of my work scrubs are showing signs of some, ah, tension about the seams of the bum, I need to sort it. Most of my calories are from wine, making them doubly bad calories.
    Gockie if that's a muffin top I have the rest of the bakers dozen.

Lizzie, skater and wylie like this.
  20. spludgey

Prior to Covid, I intermittently fasted (nearly) every workday for around 7 years, after watching Micheal Moresley's Eat, Fast, Live Longer and I agree with you, I lost a few kilos and then my weight plateaued and didn't really change for a long time. But for me the driver wasn't the weight loss, but rather the potential (and there definitely isn't a conclusive answer on this yet) increase in lifespan and it's just cheaper and easier for me. I don't have to worry about breakfast before work, I don't go out and spend money on takeaway food in my lunch break.
    And while I agree that IF doesn't in itself make you lose weight, for me personally, it does make losing weight easier, as I've got a much more restricted timeframe where I have to be careful what I eat (I don't consider the fasting time, as that's set in stone in my mind).