Anyone heard of this builder before in Victoria?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by kimba88, 29th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kimba88

kimba88 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm trying to do some DD and was wondering whether anyone has heard of H & L Victoria and Escape Homes? I'm trying to build on a small lot and have a floor plan i like, but i just can't seem to find too much information about the builder. Does anyone know a website i could look things up? Or has anyone had any experience with either of these 2 companies?
    hlvictoria
    New Home Builder - Escape Homes
    Any information is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Yep. I've been doing Finance with builders and sales reps for about the last 10 years or so. The last couple of years the sales reps I've been working with www.mycompletepackage.com.au have been using escape homes. No complaints. Good value small builder. Feel free to pm me if you want any more info.

ellejay, Perthguy and kimba88 like this.
  3. Eastcoasta

Eastcoasta New Member

Did you
    Hi, did you go through with your build with these company's? How was your experience?

4. kimba88

Hi, Yes I have. I've had no problems so far and both companies have been quite responsive. The build is still happening, but it is happening very quickly. So I'm pretty happy. Let's just hope the quality is great. :)

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Sophie

Sophie New Member

Hi There,
    Is this the same builder you talking about? - hlvictoria
    I am also wondering as I only get basic info on the website with no review.
    Thanks

6. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

I think the issue here is that escape homes is a builder.

They use marketing agents to sell their home. I don't think you can approach them directly and contract to build, they will refer you to one of their agents.
    That's different from many builders who do the marketing and advertising themselves.

h&l Victoria Coyle be a marketing agent, rather than a builder themselves.

7. kimba88

Yep, it is.. but they aren't the builder.. Escape Homes are. H&L are, like Tobe said, the marketers. Either way, I've had quite a good experience so far.

Correct. Although, i am unsure on whether Escape Homes can be approached for a build.. I never tried.

tobe likes this.
  8. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

I could find out for you but I'm pretty certain they would refer you to their agents. The agents I work with (my complete package) have been doing it a long time. They know how to site a house, how to deal with developer covenants etc and maximise value for money.
    For escape homes it means they don't have to spend any money upfront on marketing, or sales, they don't need to have customer relationship managers etc.

kimba88 likes this.
  9. kimba88

H&L are exactly the same.. i think my complete package and H&L are in direct competition with each other.

tobe likes this.
  10. leo_melb

leo_melb New Member

Escape Homes as they call themselves are not a good builder to use. I built with them and the experience was really awful. First they claim that you receive a "Full Home package" which is crap. They later come up with variation costs that make no sense that you have to pay in seven days.
    The contract is dodgy!!Go through it with a comb and don't let them pressure you claiming that they will increase the contract period...which they will at every opportunity. They charge for you for you to engage your independent inspector even though you are inspecting if they've built according to the contract and not making any changes...I haven't heard of any other builder who does this.

11. Puppypt

Puppypt New Member

Hi I recently built with escape homes. They are not bad with quality. Takes longer than expected. You have to be monitoring and communicating all the time. Because once the contracts signed off they jus think they can do whatever they like. Expect changes to your inclusions, material etc while the building process. One thing really stand outbis They don’t care too much of your need once signed. Reasonable quality though. Also one builder who’s afraid of their work being reviewed by private inspector. Charge the client for this and add extra time to the building process each time you bring in an inspector

12. Danny370z

Danny370z Well-Known Member

I'm Building with them this year, i've seen the quality its not bad, as i have built alot of project homes for lots of different builders its all about managing them. I have friends building a Metricon house in melbourne and they are having the worst build ever with constant issues on $580k build. So paying more doesn't always mean better...

13. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

If your friend is looking for some resolution to their problems I suggest informing Metricon head office of major issues. Head Office will want to resolve any concerns.

Danny370z likes this.
  14. Danny370z

Danny370z Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip, they are currently withholding payment and it has been escalated. As a project manager i know how a job has to be run a clear contract outlining the scope is a start with every build there is issues but it is how those issues are resolved.

15. Julian889

Julian889 New Member

My neighbor is building with Escape Homes based in Ravenhall, Melbourne. Their contractors are very unprofessional. Their construction commenced in August 2018, as of now 13/04/2019 for nine months not complete.

What really annoy me is Escape Homes does not have good supervision on their contractors. Site supervisor Anthony never know what their contractors are doing on site. There are several times these unprofessional Escape Homes contractors invade into my land. These contractors removed my wire fence to gain access doing concrete work on their site and left-over wash concrete, excess soil on my land.

I have contacted Escape Homes head office to resolve this issue. Stephanie and Mariese who work in the head office said they are too busy and have limited visibility managing 100+ contractors.

This matter is now escalated to the Wyndham City council for investigation and remedial action. Also, the landlord of this property is being sent a demand letter to resolve this dispute suggested by DISPUTE SETTLEMENT CENTRE OF VICTORIA.

In my view Escape Homes is considered unprofessional builder because,

1. You might startup with a sour relation with your new neighbor before even move into your new home because the damage done by Escape Homes to your neighbor property.

2. Escape Homes takes too long to complete the house. For instance, my neighbor commenced construction in August 2018 and till now I am experiencing their rookie contractors recently pushed debris into my land in preparation of the driveway work for the site.

3. If you call them, this builder assures you that they will act but in reality, nothing progress.

Therefore, I am sharing this on YouTube for community awareness, where this site supervisor Anthony from Escape Homes had acknowledged the damage done to my vacant land that was cause by their contractors. Unfortunately, till today they did not remove the wash concrete, soil, crush rock mix sitting on my land.

16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

They have left a bit of rubbish, and some tyre tracks etc, and they should definitely clear up the rubbish. The problem with building on small blocks is that access is difficult.

Your block is going to get messy when your build starts. There will be mud, concrete, bricks and tyre tracks everywhere.

The voicemail message shows that the builder is going to fix it up. That’s a good thing isn’t it?

Last edited: 14th Apr, 2019
  17. Julian889

Julian889 New Member

I AM NOT SURE HOW YOU FIND IT IS A GOOD THING. THEY HAVE BEEN SAYING FOR MONTHS THEY WILL REMOVE THE MESS FROM MY LAND. IN REALITY, THEY DONT DELIVER WHAT THEY PROMISE.

UNFORTUNATELY, ESCAPE HOMES, DUMP EVEN MORE RUBBISH TO THE OTHER SIDE OF ADJOINING VACANT LAND. I FEEL SORRY FOR THAT NEIGHBOR, HAS WITH SAME PIPES WITH MATCHING SERIAL NUMBER USED ON THEIR SITE ALLOVER.
    PLEASE NOTE, ILLIGAL RUBBISH DUMPING IS CONSIDERED CRIME IN VICTORIA. AND FOR THIS BUILDER NAME ESCAPE HOMES, DESPITE ACKNOWLEDGE THE FAULT, IT HAS BEEN MONTHS AND DID NOT SEE THEM DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

18. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

exactly,
    pretty common in new subdivision estates. tradies tripping over each other trying to get the job done, parking on the vacant lot next door, dropping that load of bricks on the block next door while they try to figure out how to distribute them around their 400sqm block.

i'm sure most builders will try to minimise their impact to the adjoining lots during construction. and from what i have seen, will hand over the site in a reasonable state with all rubbish removed and ready to move in. that includes any overspill next door.

the same will or would have happened if you house kicked off first. however now a house is built next door and your site will be a little more difficult to access for the trades.

as they say, what goes around comes around

tobe likes this.
  19. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

Bit dramatic, mate

tobe likes this.
  20. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Why is a contractual matter any concern of yours? They may be waiting on the fabrication of gold plated widgets which can't be custom made until the floogel has been installed.

ashish1137 and tobe like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia