WA Anyone have thoughts or advice on Modora Bay, near Perth?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by big max, 7th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Don't hold your breath. WA is notoriously slow with infrastructure works even if they are approved.

MTR and Ben Wilkie like this.
  2. Ben Wilkie

Ben Wilkie Member

Sounds good would be nice to meet everyone.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I'll try and organise something for the new year.

Ben Wilkie likes this.
  4. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

Poor little Byford is still waiting for that train station/service that was coming in the early 90s... (and is now seemingly completely off the table!).

5. JohnPropChat

Byford already has a station but the terminus on that line is Armadale so may get it in the future without too much hassle.

6. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm aware it has a station, not much point when it doesn't have the rail (it's single rail from Armadale on) or electrification to actually get trains though.

The point was more that Byford was meant to become the end of the Armadale line back when they were electrifying the whole train system and it still doesn't have a train service 20 years later.

More a word of caution for thinking they will make logical decisions around public transport than anything else. Just because it makes sense isn't a reason to expect a train station :)

Heck just look at how hard it seems to be to build a train line/station to the airport!

JohnPropChat likes this.
  7. Iwantedthatname2

Iwantedthatname2 New Member

Any recent advice on this area? Looking to move to ?anywhere? after 10 years in country WA. Have no family to move near to so trying to find the right area. Don’t want the hassle of Perth but want to be closer to things for my kids. Wife likes this area on a one day visit...Would you recommend this area?

Have 2 girls (7 year olds).

If not here then where? Too many options!!!

Many Thanks

8. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Whats your criteria though? I would have thought with a family there would be at least a bit of a list apart from "outside the hassle of Perth" (which I fully get by the way).

9. Iwantedthatname2

Iwantedthatname2 New Member

Criteria. What most want.
    Lower crime/safe place
    Close to activities/sports/teams
    Wife would prefer beach side of major roads
    Good School (as a teacher I know this is easily manipulated by stats in the media/public eye. What’s important is the potential for a student to do well at said School. Ie they run the right classes.

I’m just hoping to get a general opinion on places as it’s a 9 hour drive to research

Thanks

10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

@Jess Peletier still lives there and probably give a current run down as a family location. If you are moving from the Country then it's probably a good place for getting the ammenities you want but not moving into the suburbs/metro area.

I would say that yes it would have all those things you want. I can't speak to schools but I imagine the primary schools are fine. Not sure what the high school situation/catchments are like or what affordable private schools are there - I do know Frederick Irwin is nearby Home - Frederick Irwin Anglican School

11. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I live in Madora bay and we love it. We were the same as you in that we were in the country before coming back down and wanted to keep the lifestyle but have access to everything, and not have the busyness of Perth suburbs.

In terms of crime, we're in old Madora and have very little trouble - zero in terms of break-in's, more the odd bogan doing a burnout every now and then. If you keep away from Madora Beach Rd, you even avoid that mostly.

Re schools, Freddies has lots of facilities, Mandurah Baptist is across the road from MB and pretty good - my kids go there, I'm not a raving fan, but it's hard to know if it's it school itself or just kids these days. We're happy enough not to move them, and being able to walk there is a massive bonus. If you go public, there's a new primary school opening for Madora Bay called Oakwood. My hubby is the principal of another local Primary school and knows the Oakwood principal, and has good things to say about him. It's only tiny at the moment, I think it opens to all year levels next year from memory.
    The lifestyle is amazing. We're right on the beach pretty much and on good days just walk down with the paddle board. It's pretty magical. :)

12. JohnPropChat

Depends on your budget and personal preferences, I would move a bit more North into Perth.
    Madora Bay is actually Peel (not saying that in a bad way, just for information).

If you never lived in these suburbs, I would even consider renting to start with.

13. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

While I agree in some sense, if I was into coastal living, I would prefer greater Mandurah area over the greater Rockingham area.

In short, it would have to be Cockburn or further north. If its Kwinana or below, I'd way rather Madora Bay and the surrounds over that.

14. JohnPropChat

I like Shoalwater but yeah it's a personal preference thing as well.