Anyone getting hard hit by absentee land taxes?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by big max, 11th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Sick_of_scams

Sick_of_scams Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike, being here for 6 months I am tied up with medical issues firstly, I cannot afford to buy and keep a van etc as when it comes time to sell I am then in a bind holding it until someone buys it or dumping it at a loss. Looking at car sales sites for a while and the movement of vehicles for sale can take months. I don't have the family of friends to store a van afterwards as well. I am medically retired and although want to work it is extremely hard with my issues - currently giving me big issues. I am desperate for money to help pay for the LT&AS from QLD. Not having an income from a steady job sux.

luckyone likes this.
  2. Sick_of_scams

Sick_of_scams Well-Known Member

When you live in places like Thailand first hand as an expat and see through all the misconceptions and opinions based off gossip and sensationalised stories you realise most expats are decent people living there and not involved in any way the seedy sides of life - mostly by tourists instead.
    Plus in terms of Absentees, there are hundreds of countries I am referring to. Taking advantage of a 'tax system'? I'm not.
    All of my taxes are being paid in Australia with my investments and with the LT&AS I am paying well and truly above what I would be paying if I was back in Queensland living there. The Premier's comment that it ensures we make a fair contribution is a complete lie - we pay way more. Her rhetoric on this is baseless spin.

luckyone, Casteller and Dean Collins like this.
  3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I am noting a trend by some offshore clients to strongly consider sale of some property. The CGT issues (ie loss of main residence past exemptions), land tax, duties, surcharges, withholding etc have all combined and with low growth prospects and tough finance conditions for those offshore many are running calcs to determine their way to reduce this.

That was the intention after all. Those with more than one property are facing a unfair burden where sale seems one of the only options. Cashflow square properties are now heavily negative in some cases.

Sick_of_scams likes this.