Anyone getting hard hit by absentee land taxes?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by big max, 11th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

And this answers the original question. The absentee land taxes are making people reconsider owning property.

big max likes this.
  2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I have found some clients where it means land tax has almost doubled when the property value has hardly changed.

big max likes this.
  3. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Exactly. It's shocking and a massive theft of the underlying capital base of an investment.

4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

But why would they care? Not everyone buys property to speculate.

5. Paul@PAS

I argue it is a serious impact on the owners revenue. Property (ungeared) with a reasonable yield could now generate a loss. So much for an income producing investment ! Borrowing to pay the surcharge may well be deductible interest and not a Part IVA concern.

A SMSF is exempt ....Of limited benefit.

luckyone, Anthony Brew and big max like this.
  6. big max

Agree. Mind blowing really that they have done this.

Anthony Brew likes this.
  7. big max

Is basically stealing your underlying value, such that over time even though nominal values may be increasing the property owner becomes "poorer" in real terms over time. It's nasty, disingenuous stuff, hitting both owner end users and "speculators" alike.

Laken, Anthony Brew and Perthguy like this.
  8. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

I must have missed the announcement that owners are guaranteed income and that rules never change.

9. Paul@PAS

There is a simple way to avoid the surcharge. And its not even tax advice. Its very simple and almost anyone can meet the test.

Become a citizen. That will show em. Downside is you must vote in elections and also pleby things that are now called surveys.

NZers are mostly protected as a Class 444 visa is generally issued.

The problems seem to arise when someone who was ordinarily resident (who isnt a citizen) departs. I guess they need to reconsider whether they want to pay the surcharge or sell.

There are other concerns too....Like Temp Residents who buy a house to live in. Residential real estate – temporary residents [GN2] – Foreign Investment Review Board
    They can be caught by the surcharge while here AND are forced to sell their home when they depart.

10. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

This does not help in Qld.
    I'm Australian - born, grew up in, and lived in Sydney all my life until going abroad a few years ago and would like to invest in properties for when I come back so that I don't have to live on the pension. Luckily for me I have not purchased in Qld, but for those Australian citizens in a similar situation, they are taking it up the backside from the Qld government. It's absolutely disgusting.

I understand charging more for people who are both not citizens and not residents, but doing this to citizens or residents is not right. It is nothing more than a way to get money from a minority group that can not vote them out.

11. big max

You said it perfectly. And yes it's absolutely shameful and disgusting what the Labor party has done in Queensland.

luckyone and Sick_of_scams like this.
  12. Paul@PAS

Taxes arent meant to be fair. Just fair for some. Or look good in the media.

All the people who blamed foreign buyers for inflating prices who still cant afford a place must be celebrating how many have sold their properties to bring down values....Hang on. That never happended.

Land tax is always a wealth tax.

Perthguy and Anthony Brew like this.
  13. big max

Further the irony is that foreign investment provides jobs for small and medium biz. Tradies, professional services etc. Money will go elsewhere if not welcomed. Also let's remember this tax in Qld also targets Ozzies who are overseas working. It's extremely un-Australian.

Sick_of_scams and Anthony Brew like this.
  14. big max

Read the rely below. For some states, Queensland for example, being a citizen will not help you.

Sick_of_scams likes this.
  15. big max

No such announcement I am afraid. In theory under our political system the government could take all our assets at any time. That is why we need to be nimble, adaptable but also be willing to speak up when we see objectionable conduct taking place or being proposed by those in power.

Sick_of_scams and Anthony Brew like this.
  16. big max

Which by the way is one reason people are moving money into bitcoins (but that's a seperate discussion for a seperate thread...).

17. Laken

Laken Active Member

Im afraid screwing over people is party irrelevant. They just take turns.

18. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

If you "born, grew up in, and lived in Sydney all my life " then you have no right to how QLD sets it's laws. You can vote from overseas.

19. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Do you get this emotional about it when the rules favour investors, which a lot of them do?

20. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

English, please.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia