Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Anyone flown their dog?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by ellejay, 1st Aug, 2016.

1. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Do you think it's cruel to fly a dog on a shortish flight, or more cruel to leave them with pet sitters they're not familiar with? I know my dog can be as nervous as anyone would be in new situations. I reckon the sound and sensation that comes with being in an aircraft, without people around could be terrifying though. We probably need to do a couple of months in NZ in the summer to sort some things out. I'd like to take my dog but worried about the potential trauma of the flight.

2. D.T.

D.T. Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

Ours goes to RSPCA boarding when we fly. Given their stance on animals, i trust them to look after her well. She always comes back really happy.

Guess it depends on how long you're talking. If its a matter of months like you say, probably best to take. My only concern would be whether quarantine would be needed?

3. ellejay

I think we'd have to start planning a few months in advance, but we're looking at Dogtainers who seem to take care of the vet stuff and transport at $5k return. For a longer trip I think it would be better for her to be with us. I think I'd ask about sedation maybe, she's a big sleeper so may well sleep through the whole thing whilst I chew all my fingers off.

4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Finance broker and strategist Business Member

We leave our dogs with a kennel. We've been using them for years, the dogs get double the walks we give them and spend most of the day in a communal environment. The vet visits at least once a week, they're very particular about vaccination certificates. Our lab literally bolts in the front door when we drop her off, she's that happy to be there.

For a couple of months in NZ, I'd be tempted to take her with me though. I'd have to weigh up the flight and quarantine periods vs the costs of kennels.

ellejay likes this.
  5. ellejay

Re the costs I'm just thinking she's cheaper than kids, even if we do $5k pa for flights. Plus we love each other and that's priceless ;)

MTR likes this.
  6. Kinnon Bell

Kinnon Bell Finance Broker

I thought about it when we were moving from Melbourne to Cairns but just couldn't do it so we all went on a road trip instead. I'm fairly sure my younger dog would have been ok with it but my older dog has 'issues'. He would not have handled being in a cage so that was pretty much the deciding factor. As it was, the drive was bad enough. It was during a heat wave were the day time temps where 40+° in central NSW. We had the aircon on in the car flat out to the point where I was wearing a jumper. We had frequent toilet and water stops but my older dog refused to drink and the only way we could get him to drink was to feed him ice cubes one by one so every town we went through we went through the maccas drive through and got a couple of cups of ice to keep him happy.

The reading up I did on it was that you need to have your animal to the freight section 90 minutes before the flight and then pick them up 90 minutes after the plane lands. For a 3hr 20min flight from MEL to CNS that would have been a total of over 6 hours in a cage. I spoke to my vet about sedation but she said that anti anxiety meds would be better as the sedation just sedates the animal but they can still feel anxious and being sedated can make the anxiety worse.

Though if I was going anywhere for months at a time and I couldn't leave my dogs with my mum then I would find a way to take them with me.

Last edited: 1st Aug, 2016
    ellejay likes this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member Premium Member

I would probably take them, would miss them too much.

I have has a house sitter/dog sitter this worked well, But it was not 3 months, only 1 month

I won't use kennels, I don't like their set ups

ellejay likes this.
  8. ellejay

That makes a lot of sense. You made me smile talking about taking your dog to maccas. Not a proud mummy moment, but on the road all of us including Cookie have become very partial to the occasional burger. Cookie eats hers like its a rare delicacy.

9. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

If you really need to fly them, try the like of JetPets.. i prefer not to if I can. If only Australia allow dogs in the cabin

10. ellejay

Agree, I'd happily pay for a seat if it was possible. You can have them with you in France, not sure about the rest of Europe but I think that's just toy dogs not big heavy Heelers.

EN710 likes this.
  11. DaveM

DaveM Adelaide Buyers Agent & KFC Strategist Business Member

Flew my pets with dogtainers in dec. cost $1100 door to door same day syd to adl

ellejay likes this.
  12. WattleIdo

WattleIdo renovating Premium Member

We did it years ago when I was a kid - flew the dog to PNG. It was all fine. Yes, sedatives, anti-anxiety and all that. The main problem is the quarantine on return. What is the quarantine like from NZ to Australia? At that time it was 9 months!
    We really should've left him with a neighbour who loved him for the 2 years. Anyway, the flight itself is fine. Though 5K is a lot!
    I did once see a dehydrated (deceased) dog from a smaller flight - this was in PNG and 35 years ago. He was OK when he was taken off the plane but he was kept in the cage and didn't get any water when he arrived at the vet's. I'm sure this wouldn't happen in NZ.

Last edited: 2nd Aug, 2016
  13. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

NZ is category 1 (no rabies) country, there should be no quarantine when bringing back to Australia Category 1: New Zealand

HUGH72, WattleIdo and ellejay like this.
  14. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I've used jetpets when not flying at same time as animal. Was for a bird. Great service and a lot cheaper than quote directly with airline. Worth getting a quote through them. Was about $200, down from $700.

Within Aus I've flown at the same time as my dogs and paid extra baggage for one, then it was more expensive for second. Think it was $50 and $150. My nervous dog was sedated with Valium and fine on 5 hour flight. I guess you can't pay for extra luggage going to NZ?

You'll need to check with airline about crate.

I've found pet sitters great too. Best to meet them in advance and be sure they are the right person with your pets.

ellejay likes this.
  15. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

That was my experience in oz, but it was 20 years ago. They were classed as a piece of luggage and you paid extra, just as you would for xs baggage. Being a Golden Wing member she was free and she loved the trip! They have to be in an approved container.

If you plan on taking the dog with you check the airline - not all accept animals.

16. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Disappointed this thread wasn't about this:

[​IMG]

Nemo30, DaveM, ellejay and 1 other person like this.
  17. ellejay

Mmmm that would save me a fair few $. Can you buy those suits at Aldi?