Travel & Holidays Anyone flown Business/First Class Flights?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TMNT, 16th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Yeah those articles always say the same things

As for jetstar premium economy. I think its terrrible its bascially the same economy seat thats a different colour. Comes with food drinks etc. And the sear doesnt go flst and is about 1mm wider.

Not worth it for me. However most jetstar flights i catch are shorter so its not a big deal for me

I would like to do full business class on long haul

Sackie likes this.
  2. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Anything less than about 6hrs and the difference between business and economy is minimal imo. Unless it is a red-eye flight which I will avoid at all costs.

I have flown business several times, and I am usually willing to pay for it on individaul legs of long haul flights (eg Amsterdam-Singapore) if I dont have the points to upgrade. This is an overnight flight and about 15hrs. The lie flat beds allow me to get a semi-decent sleep (noting that I have trained myself to sleep in most places, so can sleep in economy if I have to).
    I have been on Emerates first class once. It was nice - but would never pay for it. It is still a flight, not a 5* hotel. Though did enjoy being able to have a shower in the morning.

Whenever I land after a long haul flight I will usually book into the airport hotel (paid either by the hour or in 4hr blocks). Take a good shower and have a sleep for an hour or so before my next flight. Its about $20-$50 depending on the airport but well worth it for me.
    Remembering though that I fly international nearly every month (or every other month at the least). So these small things make a big difference.

Blacky

3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Fly Business class in Singapore airline once. There were issue with the new Airbus and somehow my economy ticket boosted to Business (the business class that I actually have on my vision board, but that another story).

It was a 7 hours flight from Singapore to Sydney and was a terrific experience. The treatment is so different from economy :p Foods are on plate, plated to look like fine dining. Want to sleep, they set up the seat for you and put blanket for you. Wine anytime (but I don't drink so that's wasted)

4. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

Yep, flew business class to Europe with Etihad last year.
    Definitely worth the cost for the sleep, in a full lay flat bed Oh and the champagne, and the amazing food, and the transfers and the fast lane at immigration. :) The list of benefits just keep going. If you have the opportunity do it ...

5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

nice!!!! wow, phone calls in the plane ?? and spa access??? thats all included??

6. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

Phone and Internet services were available on my Abu Dhabi to London leg but we're not included. I can't remember the cost.

The six senses spa was great. I got to Heathrow way early for my flight home and had a terrific neck, back and shoulders massage, and they booked me in for a mini facial when I got to Abu Dhabi.

I would not hesitate to fly Etihad again.

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

We were once upgraded to first class just after we were married in Mexico, on a flight to our honeymoon in Spain (for three days). A flight crew member was the brother of one of my wife's workmates. We kept the bottle of Moët we were given for a special occasion.

8. No Probs

No Probs Well-Known Member

All we got on our flight to our honey moon was a cake - and we were stoked with that haha! I wouldn't have minded an upgrade to first class!

9. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

I always use airline points to redeem Business Class or First Class awards. I mainly fly business or first class for international travel these days. I love the experience of flying on planes on business or first class. I mainly fly Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Air New Zealand, Thai, etc.

It is very easy to earn enough points to fly business or first class internationally if you know and follow the system well.

Domestic I still fly economy as it is such short trip. I do fly Business class from Sydney to Perth though, as domestic business class is fantastic for trans-continental services.

Westminster likes this.
  10. The Social Investor

The Social Investor Active Member

I fly united business regularly mel to lax and I must get the same attendants as you get. I thought that it reflected well on United as they didnt go for the young fresh faces and agree, nothing great

11. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

12. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yeah...I think at that level of first class, they are all about serious professionalism and service..which is fine and necessary, and the the older experienced ones generally fit that more easily/less risk than the young fresh faced ones.
    I'd suspect most airlines that operate first and business class level are the same ie older experienced attendants at that level.

13. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Nice!

looks like with my budget I wont be able to pay for business or first class for a long time or ever,
    on a premium carrier

the only saving grace is that I do have a lot of Qantas Frequent FLyer points, so Im goingto see what Ican do or the best value, ive been told pay for economy and then use points for an upgrade but ive been toldth at the odds of avaiblity with my status (zero/minus) is like winning lottery.

Currently have about 1.8m points

ps is says miles on the article, I assume miles means distance travelled paying full price? so for me who only uses jetstar for asia flights its not much point, and while never using qantas

14. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

wait youve got 1.8m FF points?? just use them to book business class flights. if youre going to europe youll be flying emirates from dubai anyway i believe.

with that many points youve certainly got the ability to fly business

15. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

Agree 1.8m FF points will easily get you 1st class.
    I just a quick look.
    Sydney to London 1st Class will set you back ~1.4M points
    Sydney to London Business Class ~ 1.1M points.
    Now off course if you choose points + pay it will be even less in points.
    Or pay for economy and use the points to upgrade.

16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

yeah been saving 20 years!! only redeemed a few movie tickets when they were about to expire,

im a tight *** but I d rather not blow it all in one shot or get bad value for money,

as moyjos says, pay for economy and points to upgrade, isnt that the best point to value upgrade?

id rather do 6 , pay economy and upgrade to first class instead or whatever it works out to be !

I thought points + pay was just a bad way to do things, ie bad ratios

17. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Did anyone ever fly Concorde?

I always wanted to - to see the curvature of the earth. Alas, only my umbrella made the trip.

Is/has anyone considering a Virgin Galatic trip?

18. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Holy crap
    I've got 300,000 - solely from my credit card (thats one positive of charging over 10,000 a month, i guess...)

19. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Used to fly international business class all the time. Once the novelty wears off its really just a less ****** way to spend 20 hours sitting down.

20. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

There's a story