Sports & Fitness Anyone enjoy Bushwalking / Hiking / Trekking ?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by wombat777, 9th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

WOW

2. Mooze

Mooze Well-Known Member

Another that's into the hiking and 4wding

We did mt warning as part of our wedding celebrations - fastest up was a bit under 40min (was day before, so running gear as opposed to good kit).

Pre kids we did a lot of adventure racing - mainly eastern seaboard, but Borneo, Singapore, US, Thrown in

These days with a toddler and now a ten day old we're limited to short hikes around home.

We got into the cycle touring as well - did the laurentians in Canada with the toddler in June - was great - far easier to tow 16kg than carry him. Off to NZ and Victoria next year for more

3. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

'Secret Falls' on the flanks of Mt Wellington in Hobart. Worth hunting for. Google is your friend in terms of finding it. Many walk straight past it on their way to another waterfall.

image.png

4. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Absolutely. We've been too exhausted from work to go out much at the weekends lately but used to do lots of walking. Walking in the European Alps is hard to beat imo because of the variety of circular walks and the extensive networks which mean you never have to repeat the same walk, or spend hours driving between walks. We've done a bit in NZ and Aus but I'm not keen on multi day walks. I like to get home for dinner :)

5. wombat777

@ellejay, I agree - The European alps are hard to beat. After tour de Blanc I spent 6 days doing day walks in Grindelwald and Zermatt last year. Are there any locations you particularly recommend? I am yet to go to Austria and would like to go to the Pyrenees.

6. ellejay

I made a mess of attaching some photos above but anyway :) Tour de Mt Blanc is amazing, Zermatt is amazing. Yes, you have to do Austria. There are too many areas to recommend but we did the reiter spitz a while ago, which was amazing. Seefeld is a fantastic area to be based. The Dolomites...too many to mention. Don't get me wrong, I love Australia but no contest. No offence intended by the way :)

Last edited: 7th Dec, 2015
  7. ellejay

Another try at posting best walk photos. P1020127.JPG Winter in Scotland.

The Y-man and Doncossack like this.
  8. ellejay

Cedar Breaks Utah IMG_0296.jpg

The Y-man likes this.
  9. ellejay

14092010(35).jpg
    Dolomites, Italy

The Y-man, Vultures and Doncossack like this.
  10. wombat777

@ellejay, wow you certainly have travelled. Thanks for the tips. Will put the European walks on my list. I haven't had an opportunity to do any scenic walking in the US or UK yet.

No offence. I hate the heat too.

ellejay likes this.
  11. wombat777

Back from my holiday. Walked over 400km whilst away. 308km in the Himalayas. Over 40km in Kathmandu and Pokara and then approx 50km in Singapore.

image.jpeg
    Elevation profile - Annapurna circuit. 308km includes acclimatisation walks. Total ascent 12586m. Total descent 12187m.

image.jpeg

Annapurna circuit route. Clockwise from Besisahar.

image.jpeg

The route for the crossing of the Thorong La ( La is Nepali for Pass). Starting at Thorong Pedi at 5:30am ( elevation 4,420m ) ascending 996m to the pass ( elevation 5,416m ) and then the big descent of 1,716m to Muktinath (3,700m ), arriving 5:30pm.

Vultures, jins13, Doncossack and 2 others like this.
  12. Doncossack

Doncossack Active Member

Did a 20-25k hill hike with an expat group this week through the hills on Koh Samui. Lovely view of the island. First two hours were so steep we were nearly on all fours. Walked for 7 hours all up with a stop for a freshly cut coconut to replenish electrolytes.

wombat777 likes this.
  13. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

If it helps Kathmandu are still having sales at the moment. Bought quite a few jackets, socks and other essentials.

14. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Crapmandu...urghh :p

15. wombat777

Kathmandu ( Thamel district ) is a great place to buy knock-off clothing and other gear at a fraction of the prices you pay here. Worth considering / planning for as part of a trip to Nepal. Shop carefully though to find reasonable quality.

16. radson

radson Well-Known Member

@wombat777

Wouldn't mind having a crack at Annapurna IV. Doesnt look too suicidal. Also like Nilgiri :)

Last edited: 10th Jan, 2016
  17. wombat777

The Annapurnas is an amazing range to look at. A pity the dry winter weather and inevitable dust haze hampered the views of the mountains from Pokhara. The views from Poon Hill were spectacular.

Yet to go through the photos from my proper camera but will post a few once done.

One of our Sherpa guides has summited Everest 6 times and also has some records planned for the 2016 season.

I did get these shots of Everest from my return flight from Kathmandu.

image.jpeg

Everest to left of centre

image.jpeg

Everest to right of centre

The Y-man and ellejay like this.
  18. radson

radson Well-Known Member

19. charpj

charpj Well-Known Member

Walked up Mt Fuji two years ago, walk is guided and you sleep 2/3 of the way up to climatise, well well worth getting to the peak to catch the sunrise. wow

The Y-man likes this.
  20. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

When I was super fit (I really mean when I was single) several years ago I completed the Gold Coast Kokoda Challenge when I was bush walking and hitting the gym all the time. It was an amazing challenge to complete in a team of four I will never forget.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.