Anyone else starting to doomsday prep?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by JLC, 7th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I told both of mine the same.

They both laughed and said not even Mum could spend that amount of money in the time we have left :eek:.

I can tell you she is giving it a good shot ;).

Stoffo, Angel, Sackie and 2 others like this.
  2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

And why not? You've worked hard to get where you are, you should enjoy it.

kierank likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I can not understand the attraction with Aldi, very little stock of anything.... perhaps why people save money.... :p

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think there are many parents who grabble with how or what to do to help their kids.

Could be paying for Uni fees, deposit for house, child care etc etc.

I think most important is to have enough money to retire comfortably first before considering helping your kids.

5. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

I believe in Sweden they are prepping due to concerns about Russia. There was a program on Dateline about this.

6. Serveman

There are also people prepping in response to fears about, “The Great Reset”, as discussed at the World Economic Forum “.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

lots of forums? This one any good????

Serveman likes this.
  8. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

I think it is a marketing strategy. People look at the coffins and go jeez, soon I will end up in one of these - think i will now buy that new so and so I've been putting off

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I went to Costco (reluctantly) a couple of months ago. Lots of big people, big trolleys, heaped high with "stuff". Wouldn't bother going back, but perhaps when the kids were small and I would regularly do a $300 shop it would have been handy, but we would have needed a second fridge.

I recall my boys (each of them at various times) opening the fridge door, groaning with food after a $300 shop, packed to the gunnels, stating "there's no FOOD in there". Well, there was not a hot ready to eat hamburger sitting in there, but sheesh, teenagers!

I asked one son to buy something ready to go (family meat pie, hot chicken, whatever he fancied) for the family to eat while I went to a meeting one evening. I waited in the car as I'd exercised and needed a shower. He called me from Coles saying "there's no FOOD in here". I was lost for words.

dmb1978, kierank and skater like this.
  10. Serveman

The World Economic Forum which is chaired by Klaus Schawb is pushing a reset which I don’t think property investors would like - You will own nothing but you will be happy - is one of their initiates. Some political leaders are pushing this as well using terms like - build, back, better etc. Others call it a conspiracy thing.
    Worth a look if you want to find out more what they are up to. They usually meet each year at Davos each year in January but this year they have postponed it to May in Lucerne. Usually attended by Elites, and other people who share their agenda.

11. Serveman

Could the move to the regions be a form of prepper behsviour? In the last 6 months in particular, quite a few people have moved to lower density areas to get away from potential restrictive living directives from various state governments snd the desire to have a more affordable lifestyle.

12. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

I read a (stupid) article recently about the best way to organise the fridge by way of meals. So don’t put veg in crisper, dairy, meat etc on shelves - group together the items that make up a meal.

I agree teenagers are .... ? ... challenged. (Mine included!) but really, organising your fridge by meals. Lordie, what is the world coming to?

Joynz likes this.
  13. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

The funny thing is, people left the regions and moved to city areas to have access to greater choices - whether employment, education, health, shopping, sport.

Regions are Ok if you have primary school aged children, or are closer to retirement, but if you have teens or young adult ages, for me it’s better to have the choices available with higher populations.

Serveman likes this.
  14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Far more likely that people who can work from home have no need to live in the big city, and can choose to live somewhere where the lifestyle is a lot better.

I agree with this bit.

Areas closer to big centres like Wollongong, Newcastle or Geelong can have the choices available with higher populations just a short distance away, while having lifestyle advantages.

Living in Queanbeyan, just outside Canberra, had some great advantages for lifestyle - until the children became teenagers, and found a restricted social life. It was great for raising the children before that.

DoggaPP, George Smiley and Serveman like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Anyone stocking up in Sydney?

16. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I think people are bit more sensible this time round. And there would be dills still working through their toilet paper stockpile from last year's stupidity.

skater, Lizzie, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  17. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

We remember a time when grocery SHOPPING was done once a month :rolleyes:
    Sure there would be a run for bread and milk each week
    The refrigerator changed everything in the 1940's
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjACegQIAxAF&usg=AOvVaw1ktTADH027U-WN5DNkMnrd
    There's not need to go grocery shopping more than once a week these days o_O
    It's called meal prep planning and "ACTUALLY COOKING" people :p
    (*as opposed to quick prep reheating/takeaway crap foods)

18. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Go back one step - grow at least some of your own food :D

The Y-man

Lizzie likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I shop once a week

I tried that frozen stuff after 1 week it's just terrible, its expensive and honestly the frozen veggies reheated ….. like eating rubber tyres

Nothing like cooking fresh clean food, and its healthy.

20. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Nothing like growing it and having your meat walking around past you where you know exactly what it has ingested too....even my eggs come from what I know produced them :)

Veges and salad etc are easy to do yourself in a small area....the supermarket is good for out of season or used up supplies or convenience, last year all my spuds were from my own labour too, pretty easy really, good to know and another thing too learn for those hungry for info :)