Anyone else seeing a drop in listings?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by hammer, 7th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Darwin listings are down 30 percent.

Which is a lot....especially considering the basket case that is our economy up here.

I have a hunch that people just aren't delisting due to covid...but it's just that...a hunch.

What about the rest of the country? Anyone noticed a decrease in the listed housing stock?

2. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

I keep a close eye on the SW parts of Melbourne, I don't see a marked decrease in listing. A mate of mine works at a leading RE agency in Laverton, he's told me today his clients are still listing with the usual fluctuation, he hasn't seen any alarm just yet but there maybe some towards the end of the year.

3. Deakin5

Deakin5 Active Member

There is a clear drop in listings in the higher end market in Melbourne, vendors are favouring off-market campaigns rather than risking spending money on advertising only to be left in a situation where there are no satisfactory offers for their property. I don't have any figures to hand but I would suggest the listings are well below 50% as compared to the same time last year.

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

In Mt Druitt it looks like there’s less properties for sale. No less bogans though lol.

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Seasonal perhaps ?

ta
    rolf

datto likes this.
  6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Correct! Although the bogan ratio has changed a bit, I think. A few less bogans, and a few more immigrants.

datto likes this.
  7. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

For mine things are reminiscent of what happened a couple of years ago when the media put out the old "bricks & slaughter" article and the market had a small drop.

In many areas seeing subdued listing levels, lack of high quality listings, lots of poor quality products sitting on market for a long time, and even more off market stock being traded this time around.

8. Jezzah

Jezzah Well-Known Member

It's been 5 weeks since a property came on the market that fits my desired search criteria in the 3 suburbs I track. There's still plenty of places on the market. However, the rate of new decent listings has slowed to a drip. The few that have come on recently feel like rentals that are being offloaded.

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Perth is currently going nuts. Volume is shrinking and demand is high. Fingers crossed prices will rise

10. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Sutherland shire $1,200,000+ is going very very strong in high quality areas such as the bays.
    Alot of duplexes are sitting longer in less desirable areas.

11. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Nope. I've been charting the Darwin market for years. This is new.

martini likes this.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.