Anyone else re-thinking overseas travel?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by wylie, 6th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Just arrived back in Australia now
    They ask everyone to sign an isolation declaration which says, on point 2, that it is voluntary.
    A few people wearing masks looking at people in the queue but I did not see a heat camera.
    Virtually not checking being implemented at all.

Thailand had more stringent checks to get inside the terminal.

wylie and The Y-man like this.
  2. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Well done and welcome home;)

Still in the UK with an Emirates return ticket for April. I see they are no longer flying to Adelaide - so possibly Brisbane next.

Terry_w likes this.
  3. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Welcome back, you must be relieved!
    Cant believe the Airport is so relaxed. But why? Is this democracy? This got me worried really....

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I should have stayed I think. Would be safer overseas!

Jess Peletier likes this.
  5. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

When they showed the heat camera on the news a few weeks , it wasn't obvious , was scanning people walking down corridor and hey didn't realise it .

Cliff

Terry_w likes this.
  6. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

We got back a week ago from overseas having managed to complete the treks to Poon Hill in Nepal and Mount Kinabalu in Sabah. Our overseas flights with Emirates and Thai Airway were comfortable with about 10% seats filled, but the Qantas flight was packed when returning to Australia. Qantas must have cancelled many flights and pool passengers to ensure a good haulage.

We had affordable hotel accommodations, but the Australian currency was devaluing during the time we were overseas.

I noticed that we came back just before the commencement of the mandatory fortnight self isolation of returnees.

It is a surreal situation to see a ban on international flights in force and social distancing has put many businesses in the hospitality sector in jeopardy.

7. Empire

Empire Well-Known Member

I've succumbed to the fact I'll probably be canceling my wedding in Bali this July.

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I hope you put yourself in isolation for two weeks regardless - what will be surreal is when people are dying in corridors because hospitals are overwhelmed - when doctors have to chose between saving the 65 year old in good health and the 34 year old with asthma because there aren't enough respirators.

What people need to understand is that this is a HEALTH crisis - not an economic crisis. Do not mistake the stockmarket for the underlying economy. And if the government lets this situation get out of hand (ie Italy) then it will take a much longer time for the economy to bounce back when we pop out the other side.

Granted - I will not be financially impacted, but banks area already holidaying loan repayments, overseas governments are giving households a weekly boost when a workers is no longer earning ... we need to take the best of what others are doing and get ahead rather than blindly following along in reaction mode.

Francesco and wylie like this.
  9. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Dubai Brisbane flight cancelled. Got through to Emirates but they can’t help me because booked through Qantas codeshare. Qantas wait time approx 3 hours although I have heard rumours of 10 hours. Could they not have put some of those grounded staff onto the phones?

10. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Planned to travel next April for a family reunion but also happy not to travel overseas. Holidays are expensive hobbies.

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to travelling mid-2021, before travel gets overwhelmed again ... personally I'd love to be in my own virus free "bubble" travelling around Italy and Eastern Europe right now, seeing all the sights without the hoards of tourists jostling and blocking the views ... ah ... in my imagination atm

12. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

I did not self quarantine myself, but I am in the age group most at risk from Covid 19. The most deadly symptom of Covid 19 is the pneumonic acute respiratory disease. During the overseas holidays, temperature scans were in most airports, however temperature scans were also implemented in Singapore hotels.

When we returned, Covid 19 infection was already detected in the Gold Coast, so it is debatable whether I was coming back to a hotspot or not. We live in a Brisbane community with high numbers of international residents. Realistically, everyday is a risk until a vaccine is available.

As retirees, we are naturally mostly socially distancing from others other than when we needed shopping at the supermarkets.

My son and daughter returned from overseas holidays a fortnight earlier than us and were required by their employers (Commonwealth and Telstra) to be tested before returning to work. Thankfully, both tested negative.

13. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

i have huge trip coming up august, given that 6 months of lockdown means end of sep,
    i used my points, and I have a good cancellation policy (I think), so im expecting it to be either cancelled, or I will cancel it myself,
    lucky hotels have not been booked yet