Anyone else re-thinking overseas travel?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by wylie, 6th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've taken two cruises within the past six months (one river cruise Budapest to Amsterdam) and a cruise from Sydney to New Zealand. We took the family on the New Zealand trip, and chose internal cabins, because we didn't spend much time in the cabin. I don't know if external cabins were even available as we booked this fairly close to travel time and the ship was full.

We've thought about another trip to Europe and are thinking of including a cruise as part of that, but hearing about the Australians now quarantined on the ship in Japan, makes me think booking anything is unwise, until the extent of the Coronavirus situation is understood and/or settles down.

We've talked about travelling again this year, but right now, I'd be very reluctant to book anything.

KateSydney and Toon like this.
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

A couple of months ago I was considering a trip to HK in 2020 given the cheaper flights & accommodation, even with the protests, glad I didn't book it.

Heading to Denmark / Norway later in the year, no plans to change at this stage (flights and most accommodation already booked anyway), but arranging some masks for the flight if it seems necessary at the time.

I guess we will play it by ear, but may steer clear of any heavily touristed spots if it seems like a risk.

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I am traveling to Europe in May. I am not re-thinking it.

ellejay likes this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I may be summonsed to NZ in the near future. Think I'll be wearing a mask in the airport and on the flight. Maybe I'm paranoid ...

The thing with cruise ships, when something like this goes wrong (think gastro outbreaks) then it goes really really wrong

Angel likes this.
  5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

There was once a "cruise" ship named Titanic. That cruise went really really wrong too.

Mel Morgan and Silverghost like this.
  6. Danny370z

Danny370z Well-Known Member

I was travelling to Shanghai on the 27th of march, luckily Qantas cancelled the flights and refunded me without hesitation. However now i have a week off and nowhere overseas to go..

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have a walk planned on the South Island in NZ by myself in less then 14 days..

Not that worried about the walking but thinking the way the air filter system work on the trip over as it a direct Brisbane to Queenstown flight just over three hours that may be a worry..

Would anyone know what the best mask is too use?..,

i was thinking of wearing my Stoney Creek full face balaclava with built in snow mask but i don't think i would get out of Brisbane with that on..

Angel, Islay and Pumpkin like this.
  8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We have a cruise booked, Copenhagen to Boston via Norway, Iceland and Greenland in August.

Planned to book airfares around now, but waiting a month or two to see how things pan out, and what connections to avoid (Hong Kong?). Only paid deposit on cruise, no more to pay until end of May so time is in our favour.

Meanwhile, cruise booked end March, South Pacific islands round trip from Sydney. Balcony cabin. Not concerned, Princess banning anyone who has been in HK or mainland China in the last 14 days before sail date. Since flights now banned, that should not affect anyone.

Daughter is a nurse, said face masks useless unless full filtered breathing included. Said surgical masks offer no protection, but get them if it makes us feel better! Apparently they are designed to stop the wearer spreading THEIR germs to others.

Perthguy likes this.
  9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I believe it's mainly due to air getting around the edges - respirators seal off the edges better.

The Y-man

10. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

My main concern would be travel insurance exclusion... Most seem to have declared exclusions for new policies so your only safety net is in countries with reciprical health care...

Also noting that many policies have wholesale exclusion for pandemic.... Read the fine print !

One point with masks was that they help you avoid touching your face....

Pumpkin, wylie and The Y-man like this.
  11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Better a week off than a wee cough.

hdb, Chill2205, VB King and 4 others like this.
  12. keenas

keenas Well-Known Member

I just flew back 48 hours ago from Bangkok via Singapore and the airports are significantly less busy than usual. I wouldn't hesitate to go again tomorrow if need be...but maybe i am stupid :D

13. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Well, they don't name Isolation Wards that for no reason. Not designed to protect patients from us but us from them.

14. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Here's a few tips for travellers

The Y-man likes this.
  15. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

refer to this.......First world problems 2020

16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I saw those :D ...including the bra converted to a mask! :eek::eek:

The Y-man

17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Apparently the old Contiki Tours now includes Coronavirus and STD checks upon boarding. :eek:

18. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Funnily enough before any outbreaks occurred, when I went back to Asia I always wondered at the back of my head what if an outbreak occurred with people literally living on top of each other.

Now with 3 kids in tow, initially I was planning a trip to Thailand and back to the ole country in Vietnam for our biannual visits but that is now obviously canned. One door closes another opens I guess, Australian cities now suddenly becomes more attractive with the fewer people and crowds.

19. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Planned a family trip to Bali in April and solo trip to America in August. Hope the virus is contained by then.

20. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Tickets bought for:
    - early March to Western USA
    - mid May to Northern China.

I am really at a loss on what we should do. Paid a lot of money for the tickets and if the Airline doesnt refund, we will be out-of-pocket a lot of money....

Interesting....