Anyone else like the look of worn / roughed up timber floorboards?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by jaybean, 8th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

Also PM said it was common of these 70's houses. Floors were done and when carpet came into fashion people laid it over the top

2. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

The very first house I owned and did a reno on was in Erskineville. Small two storey terrace. I took up the carpet and the floors upstairs were terrible - patched boards and big sections of chipboard. I was on a budget so I just put down Masonite and got it recarpeted.
    Before I put down the Masonite, I painted a message on the awful floor. I wrote, 'I bet you thought when you pulled up the carpet and the Masonite that there would be a great timber floor underneath. I thought the same thing.'

Scott

larrylarry and wylie like this.
  3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

In one of the places we just sold we pulled up the carpet. It was beyond repair! We were going to put new carpet down as the cheapest option, but the boards looked OK to me, so I went down to Bunnings & put a cheap water based covering on them & it looked great. No sanding! Just straight onto the old boards.

Tranquilo likes this.
  4. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

If anyone ever rips up the carpet in the house my parents built in the early 70s they'll find nice pine floor boards, apart from a clear black impression of an iron, courtesy of me when I was about 2.

WattleIdo and Tranquilo like this.
  5. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

When we ripped up the carpet in our PPOR (60s house) we found the living areas and hallway were raw but the bedrooms had been done previously. We sanded and tung oiled the whole lot. 8 years later still looking good.

Tranquilo likes this.