Anyone else go on stakeouts?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by monty, 9th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. monty

monty Well-Known Member

I'm in the process of buying a PPOR. A couple of times I've found a property I'm interested in and go to a couple of open homes to check the place and then put an offer in. The RE says the offer is close to what they want but they want to wait another week or two to see if they can get better offers. So the following week I go to the open home but just park up the road to see what sort of traffic they get. The markets I'm looking in aren't that busy at the moment so it's possible no one will turn up. Anyone else ever go on stakeouts like this?

Adele, Hanison, Bran and 2 others like this.
  2. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

No but that's a great idea.

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Feel free to present a signed contract along with a cheque for 10%... they may just take it.

4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Yes I try to go to opens towards the end to see what sort of numbers they had through during the inspection and see if I can sneak a look at the comments/buyer profile sheet.

For a PPOR I would also stake out friday and sat nights 9-11pm for any noise problems

legallyblonde likes this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

"Anyone else go on stakeouts?"

Are you a cop?

I want to speak to my lawyer before answering.

JacM, Hanison and JDP1 like this.
  6. monty

monty Well-Known Member

I like the idea the the agent not knowing I was there. I can then ask them if they had much interest to see if they lie.

Bran likes this.
  7. monty

monty Well-Known Member

No but I do like doughnuts!

legallyblonde likes this.
  8. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Stakeouts and general loitering the streets is what i have used in the past. Its quite useful- get to see what kind of people live in the neighborhood, traffic, community feel, etc..helps with a lot of tthe qualitative factors of buying/living somewhere.

9. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Yes
    I did a stake out of an open house a couple of weeks ago too, I had already been through and was keen to get it off the market pre-auction.
    I had @Steven Ryan on the line with minute-by-minute updates cause I'm sure he had nothing better to do ;)

Unfortunately I parked a little bit too far away to see if they were carrying EOI forms and the like. (My car is a bit dodgy, I worry that someone will call the police).

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hehe. When my brother in law was selling they got us to attend the open and to see what level of interest there was. Turns out... extremely strong with 22 offers after the first open.
    Made the street look extremely busy and crowded with cars parked everywhere....

11. monty

monty Well-Known Member

Luckily interest isn't that strong in the markets I am looking in. As a buyer I wouldn't bother do a stakeout if there were that many parties going through the opens. There are only two or three parties (if that) going through most opens I am attending.

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I go on steakouts all the time. Next best thing is take outs if you can't use the BBQ.

Some areas are deceiving especially if near schools or popular parks.

13. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Stake-outs are a necessary part of research. Done as a suburb-level thing or particular property.