Health & Family Anyone else drink green smoothies?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by JenW, 25th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Starbright

Starbright Well-Known Member

Sorry.. Little containers full of supplements which I put in the fridge. That contains chocolate vegan protein powder, spirulina, chia seeds, maca, goji, any supplement you want.

Every morning pop into froothie blender, add a dash of udo's oil and a bit of water or almond milk, then blend into a thick consistency, put in bowl with muesli and more fruit on top. The freezer bags and containers really cut down on the time required each morning.

JenW likes this.
  2. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

Just having my morning smoothie now . Kale, spinach, cucumber, avocado, apple, pear, almonds, chia, lemon, ginger. I'll never go back to weetbix.

Redwing and JenW like this.
  3. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

We use one of these for a daily juice. Our juices taste terrible.....but we *try* to make an effort to get in our veggies. We usually throw in carrot, kale, apple, celery and whatever else is lying around the crisper.

JenW likes this.
  4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Ours don't taste the best either- but the worse they taste, the better for you I tell myself! Broccoli juice tastes awful, but when else are you going to get broccoli in you first thing in the morning? We combine it with a heap of other stuff, but that flavour is unmistakeable :)

Jim makes us a juice every morning, we've got a phillips juicer which works well.

JenW likes this.
  5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I've been doing it for awhile, just as a way to get some extra greens in.

So far I've worked out I don't like brocolli or cauliflower and usually cabbage except in one combination

1. cabbage + carrot + beetroot + apple + lemon
    Others are
    Kale + celery + cucumber + pear
    Beetroot + celery + cucumber + spinach + lemon

I try and only use one fruit in mine and find that using lemon or lime helps lift the boring greens. Luckily I have a plentiful lemon and lime tree so there is always some.

I usually put celery in most as it's good for fluid retention and cheap and good fibre and low calories.

JenW likes this.
  6. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

Green apple, pear, ginger, kale or spinach leaves, agave juice, ice and chia seeds

Carrot, green apple, celery, avo, ginger, spirulina and coconut water and ice.

Frozen berries, yoghurt, cocoa nibs, chia seeds, coconut water

Whatever you have lying around that you think will taste good really. Now I usually just go to the fruit market and buy whatever is cheap and cut it up into cubes, mix it with whatever else I think it will go with and freeze it in baggies. That way you don't need ice all the time and you can keep older fruit that is on sale for long periods.

JenW and vbplease like this.
  7. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

I have to say, I think it would take fortitude to drink a broccoli juice for breakfast :eek:
    I'm happy enough drinking a straight vegie drink in the afternoon though - but not for breakky. It's that sweet tooth of mine rearing its ugly head again....

8. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Try laying some kale on a baking tray, spray / sprinkle some oil on it and sprinkle with parmesan and bake till crunchy. Yum! You now have a tasty bowl of kale.

Heinz57 and JenW like this.
  9. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

my husband religiously makes green smoothies with spinach and fruit. My mum has started to as well because she's had them at my house and loved them, she uses veggies she grows in her garden and says that it has improved her health.

Me - I don't like them at all. I prefer to cut everything up and have a salad. I love eating my food and I just can't get into the whole idea of blending and drinking.

JenW likes this.
  10. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

I find they're dangerous for my health.

The number of times I have one of the wife's frozen bags of chopped fruits/vegetables/whatever junk is in these fall out of the freezer and hit me on the head while I try get some ice cream - I'm surprised I haven't formed a concussion yet.

11. Egga

Egga Active Member

Acai aswell

JenW likes this.
  12. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Oh my god. Had the bright idea of trying a whole orange in a smoothie today. Who knew that the orange pith was so horribly bitter?! This was the first smoothie I haven't been able to finish. I did get halfway through, but just couldn't bring myself to finish it. Note to self: just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

13. Westminster

Oh dear me. Yes it is well worth the time to cut the peel off the orange :confused: Things like kiwi fruit though you can put in skin and all.

14. Spanna

Spanna Well-Known Member

I love juices (have one religiously daily) however I think the popularity masks the health benefits. Most people put too much fruit in resulting in high sugar/fructose consumption.
    Others use centrifugal juicers which heat up the food killing the enzymes.
    Cold press juice is the best but the machines are expensive

15. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

I just blend whatever is in the vegetable crisper with some mint, ginger and coconut water. Sometimes it's delicious, other times not so much.

16. Westminster

I have a nice Hurom cold pressed and it's great. I use that or if I'm in a high fibre mood use my thermomix so that I get all the fibre but not quite all the goodness.

What are your favourite combos? I try and only put one fruit and make that a low GI fruit like an apple, pear or something acidic like a lemon or a lime.

17. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

When I was little and had a runny nose I used to drink smooth greenies...

Think about it.

18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Snot very nice.

19. Spanna

Spanna Well-Known Member

I looked at the Hurom, ended up going the angle because it was all stainless love it! Cold press duel orgger style is best for leafy greens

Fav is carret, beetroot, spinish or kale, an apple, ginger, lemon, cellary.

20. Westminster

Very similar to my favourite too. Sometimes goes a rather unattractive colour due to orange + purple + green but still my go to juice.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.