Anyone done a JV with friends?

Discussion in 'Development' started by albanga, 11th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Hey All,
    As my subdivision/renovation project winds down I want to start exploring my next project which will likely be a 2 townhouse development.

I could probably stretch myself to take this all on myself but am thinking about involving either 1 friend or potentially a few to spread the risk and stress.

Has anyone done this? I know involving friends/family with money is not always a great idea but I am a big believer that if you have a common goal and most importantly EXIT strategy it can work really really well.

If someone has done it I would also be keen to understand how you presented this to them including figures. I am confident I can produce the numbers as I have done this myself (to an extent) but if someone has a breakdown they would be willing to share it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

sanj likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Depends on how its being financed too. That's where care is needed.

Unit trusts, disc trust that own units, companies and other ways can all be considered and vary with prop location. Important that each seeks legal advice. Independent legal advice. Beware even a basic unit trust may require a unitholder agreement to govern exit, valuation and dispute resolution.

A JV may give you opportunity to use scale. Little profit in 2TH but 4 might be very different with similar risks.. Chat with BeDeveloper about his views on this. He has a calculator that assists. Most clients who have gone this way would all look to go 3-4 and avoid 2.

SOULFLY3 likes this.