Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Anyone developing around Broadmeadows?

Discussion in 'General Property Chat' started by Otie, 30th Aug, 2016.

1. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

There is a lot of development going on in Broadmeadows/Glenroy in Melb at the moment.
    Is like to hear if any of these builders/developers are on here- if so would like to know how your keeping all the thieving junkies at bay?
    We have a huge issue with them thieving from our neighbours property (also vacant) as are the back neighbours. The back ones are being developed at the moment.
    We had 8 boxes of tiles stolen last night from a pallet in the backyard (can't get them anymore, discontinued and have floor to ceiling tiles in bathroom and toilet, we are now 4 boxes short!) think we have to do a feature tile in the toilet now which I'm spewing about.
    Would like to know how others are dealing with this issue as according to police it's rampant due to the amount of vacant properties being developed.
    I'm so drained from it all- every day the thieves use our yard to carry their haul thru, breaking out fence (started a fire in the shed trying to extract copper from power leads!)
    Main issue is caused from our neighbour being a proper hoarder like on TV so they are attracted due to his crap.
    We leave nothing in the house but I'm just sick of dealing with it

2. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

Yup just had thieves break into one of my properties and cost me $500 repairs. The cops basically did not care. You got insurance mate? That's what they ask you.

3. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Yeah same. Broady police have been called when we had cornered some of the junkies on our property but we had no option to let them go after police didn't come. We told them they could be armed, didn't make a difference. Police drove past an hour and a half later and didn't even bother stopping to see if everyone was okay!
    Today we found a knife dropped in our yard, though even if they get prints and get one of them it's not enough to put them in jail so they will just keep coming back

4. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

Yup and I am getting trashed on a Newcastle thread because I say we don't get our money's worth from taxes. Do you know that New York City was one of the worst crime cities in the world. They cleaned it up by the police coming down hard on the smallest of petty crimes. So basically when somebody was pickpockets they would shut the whole place down till they found him and then they went to town on the pickpocket. They realised that if you ignore the petty crimes, the problem of crime grew. They went after petty thieves and stopped murders and rapes as a side effect.

5. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Who the bloody hell steals 8 boxes of tiles? That's really pathetic.

Are they breaking windows to get inside?

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

10 m2 of tiles?

7. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

True but how do you flog off 8 boxes of tiles?

8. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I've got barbed wire on top of my temporary fencing. Was a bastard putting it on but worth the hassle.

9. Scott No Mates

Gumbytree or my bathroom is about 8 boxes ;)

10. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I've been trawling Gummy and am suss on two of the neighbours

11. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Thinking of doing the same. Your not our back neighbour on pascoevale rd are u?

12. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

10m2 if they broke a box lifting the heavy bastards. They're 600x600 charcoal porcelain
    I only paid $15 a m2 so not worth stealing but valuable to me since I needed them

13. Scott No Mates

@Otie - yup 10m2 with 15% waste for cutting/skirtings etc.

14. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Nah I'm in the inner west.

15. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Im sure these turkeys couldnt workout what 10% is

16. Scott No Mates

It's how much you 'save' if you pay cash

17. MrFox

MrFox Well-Known Member

Hire a shipping container or similar and lock the stuff in side. Lots of sites these days have cameras with motion censors so the builder can record remotely who is stealing his stuff.

18. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

We are nearly finished, luckily we are there most days doing work so its not hard to take most things home with us. The problem with CCTV is that these guys don't care if they are seen, they are that cunning before we caught on they would walk past throughout the day and say hi to us!. They wait for us to pack up when they see us leave they head in. CCTV will identify them, but it won't keep them away. We provided name, address and phone number for one of them who dropped his phone, and he still is out roaming the streets. I rang the guys dad (under dad in his phone), he even gave us the address of the halfway house his junkie son is staying at to give to the police but still nothing. I guess until someone is injured or killed nothing will happen. Felt really bad for the dad you could tell how sorry he was for his sons actions, but you can't blame the parents most of the time its just bad luck that their kids end up in these situations.
    The police over there are really stretched, yesterday at the police station there were about 15 people lined up at the desk and the police woman said there were only 2 staff on. She said they are really understaffed and they just don't have the numbers to police properly.

Hodge likes this.
  19. MrFox

MrFox Well-Known Member

Years ago when I worked for a builder we had a break in to a development in Northcote. The scumbags ripped out the kitchen sink without switching off the water taps. When I got on site in the morning there was water gushing through the front door. The pressure was so strong that it destroyed the ceiling plaster. All the carpets downstairs had to be replaced, new ceiling and paint job cost thousands. All that damage over $200 sink.

20. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Thats the frustrating thing. Everything is imported now and so cheap, its hardly worth stealing (well not worth getting a criminal record for the $50 they might get if they can even get rid of it!.
    These idiots don't realise how much easier it is (and how much better you feel) just to work to buy stuff!