Anyone buying in US by Todd Hunter (wheregroup)

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by SydneyInvestor, 1st May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Paying $12+k for a property with a <$100k price point is a 15-20% markup. It would take you a long time to recover that amount from rents.

Further are you aware that you provide A/C, stove, fridge, microwave and dishwasher in most markets in the USA. These are expensive to maintain as they fail regularly. Also the tenant placement fee is one months rent and insurance is about the $1k mark and don't even think that you can actually claim on it unless it's really serious like the place burns down. Forget about landlords insurance there is no such thing. County taxes will add another $1500+ to your yearly costs.

I just lost 3 months rent on a property and unfortunately it's not the first time. Remember this could be as simple as one months lost rent, one month the get the property back into rentable condition and your months letting fee. Likely if you only had one property in this market then that is your income gone for the year. By the way changeover costs are always $3k+ and that is without changing carpets add another $2k if carpets need replacing.

We mitigate these expenses by having many properties and get income every year but I really don't think it would work for just 1 or 2 properties.

The other aspect of buying now in the USA is that you have missed the bottom by a long way. We were buying quality properties at $50-$80k and then a reno for $10-20K giving a rental income of $14k pa. These properties are now worth $150-200+k. Somehow I don't think that the $80k properties now being proposed are in the same class of quality nor that there is the same potential growth or even rental returns.

There is nothing wrong with waiting for new opportunities in the Oz market. That is what I am doing now.