Sports & Fitness Anybody into MMA/BBJJ/Muay Thai/other Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by juzzy, 11th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. juzzy

juzzy Well-Known Member

Basic rules are:

3 x 5 minute rounds (5 x 5 minute rounds for title fights or main events)

Rounds are usually scored 10 to 9. 10 going to the round winner. If someone gets absolutely annihilated in a round the judges can score them less than 9, but this rarely happens. You can also lose points for illegal moves, like eye gouging, etc. Again, rarely happens. Judges cannot see each other's score cards. Rounds are scored immediately after the round, not at the end of the fight.

You can win by KO, TKO (referee stops the fight), Submission or by Judges decision (most points at the end of all rounds).

Legal moves include:
    Punching
    Kicking
    Elbows
    Knees
    Choke holds (applied with arms or legs)
    Arm-bars
    Shoulder locks
    Leg locks
    Knee-bars

I think that about covers it.

2. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

Done Jijitsu and Muay-thai as a teen (more for self defence) and love MMA.

Everyone has their views of MMA and everyone is entitled to their opinion. 56k crazy melbournians went and saw UFC 193. There is a history to UFC and I have followed it for years, much like WWF the are focusing on the business/entertainment. When you go back to the first event - fighters would have robes on and whatever now - it is more consistent/ uniform and it is a massive influence on many. I really think UFC is struggling at heavyweight level though.

Also looking fwd to Conor v Aldo....will be interesting. Will definitely contribute to this thread going forward.

Cheers Ivan

juzzy likes this.
  3. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Used to do Judo many years ago. Thinking of some BJJ now, as son wants to have a go.

4. Michael_X

Michael_X Mortgage Broker Business Member

Anyone else excited about Conor vs Aldo this weekend?

Pumped!!!!!

Tipping Conor.

chindonly likes this.
  5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Does fencing count? Been doing it for 13 years, coaching for the last 8 or so. Fun and fairly transferable skills to any sort of martial weapon - but I'm useless in any brawl or unarmed situation.

6. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

I enjoy watching most sports, including UFC. Watched the Rousey/Holm fight at a friend's place. Mixed feelings about women getting all beat up. On the other hand, good to see women being the main highlight of the event.

The conor / aldo one should be good as well.

Am personally not into any Martial Arts, and hubby is the exact opposite as he trains in Krav Maga and is a certified instructor as well.

7. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

looking forward to it - the fight will hopefully match the hype

conor is a lunatic - i'll be tipping him also on points (only to see 5 rounds of mayhem

8. juzzy

juzzy Well-Known Member

Weidman vs Rockhold will be a good fight too.

I've got a funny feeling Aldo might just get over the line. Hoping for a close fight, would hate to see one of them get destroyed like Rousey.

Do it, it's awesome. I would love to do some Judo too one day.

9. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Do it, it's awesome. I would love to do some Judo too one day.[/QUOTE]

My old man holds a blackbelt in Judo when it was worth alot more back in the days. He used to tell me stories about the old days when his master wanted him to do correct throwing and break falls on the wooden floor. He said it saved him many times in difficult situations during his military police days to restrain unruly people.

chindonly likes this.
  10. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

My old man holds a blackbelt in Judo when it was worth alot more back in the days. He used to tell me stories about the old days when his master wanted him to do correct throwing and break falls on the wooden floor. He said it saved him many times in difficult situations during his military police days to restrain unruly people.[/QUOTE]
    I found the judo skills useful in other sports. Controlling balance and body mass in league and union. Also useful a couple of times in restraining people in some tricky situations.

11. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

Remember Sunday is Lawler V Condit plus Miocic and Arlovski - looking fwd to a great event!