Sports & Fitness Anybody into MMA/BBJJ/Muay Thai/other Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by juzzy, 11th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. juzzy

juzzy Well-Known Member

Getting jealous of everyone talking about weights in the other thread (I kinda miss the weights since I gave them up to focus on martial arts).

I do BJJ 4 times a week. Try to squeeze in Muay Thai 1-2 times a week too, but I will probably have to give that up in a couple of weeks when I move because my new gym will be BJJ only. Will aim to train Monday-Saturday for at least an hour a day.

2. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Slow down mate.

Phantom, neK, Terry_w and 2 others like this.
  3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I like watching the MMA's but I don't do anything.

larrylarry likes this.
  4. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I like watching it but don't do it either. My next door neighbour is good at it and I think she recently won the pan pacs in Melbourne. She has been in ufc magazine as well.

5. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Ronda Rousey is your neighbour?

bob shovel and Brian84 like this.
  6. Brian84

I wish. Different sort of fighting

7. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Can't stand UFC and cage fighting stuff. Respect their fitness and ability though. I like traditional forms MA. Karate, Kung Fu, Taekwondo etc....History, patterns/forms.

8. Vk8975

Vk8975 Well-Known Member

I did Muay Thai for 6 months. It was great for conditioning and I really enjoyed the sparring. Also met some great people in the process. I gave it up at the time because it was hindering my study and was a little to expensive...roughly $130 a month!

I initially joined up as i love MMA and I really wanted to give it a go. I am so glad I did it as it was a great experience. Sometimes you really have to bite the bullet and give things a go, especially if you are passionate about it.

juzzy likes this.
  9. juzzy

juzzy Well-Known Member

Anybody going to UFC 193 on Sunday?

I'm too cheap to spend that much on tickets, so gonna watch it at home on PPV instead. :p

Oh wow! Pan Pacs in BJJ I'm assuming?

I still get slaughtered in local competitions, so I think I'm a fair way off giving the Pan Pacs a go.

May I ask why you feel this way? The UFC originally started as a way for all of the different types of Martial Arts to come together to determine which form of Martial Arts was the most superior. It has since evolved in to Mixed Martial Arts, which takes the best from all of them.

The cage is simply to keep the fighters safe. A quick google search of MMA fighters falling out of a boxing ring will illustrate why this is required.

10. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Agree it's the probably the ultimate combat test. MA has many facets not just combat though. I just don't have a great deal of interest in watching two people beat the other senseless. Same with boxing. Just my opinion, each to their own.

juzzy likes this.
  11. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have a black belt in,nocando, it teaches you to walk away and let someone else deal with the problem..

juzzy likes this.
  12. juzzy

juzzy Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, in my experience, the more skilled/experienced the fighter, the more eager they are to walk away. They have nothing to prove in a street fight against a (usually) unskilled opponent.

Sonamic likes this.
  13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Not a massive fan of the lady fights.

14. juzzy

juzzy Well-Known Member

I think Rousey fights in particular are getting a bit old, she just murders everyone. And I don't think Cyborg can drop to her weight class without PEDs.

Hunt vs Bigfoot II isn't enticing enough to get me to spend hundreds of dollars either.

15. Brian84

[
    Oh wow! Pan Pacs in BJJ I'm assuming?

I still get slaughtered in local competitions, so I think I'm a fair way off giving the Pan Pacs a go.

Yea she does Brazilian jujitsu. They are Brazilian themselves.

juzzy likes this.
  16. Ed5000

Ed5000 Member

Hey @juzzy

Did 4 months of BJJ and muay thai earlier this year. Wasnt cheap but it was a great experience. Had never done anything like that before. Havent been back as i have now moved to the cbd but want to find a new place soon.

Anyone have recommendations for good gyms in melbourne for beginners?

17. Michael_X

Michael_X Mortgage Broker Business Member

I am a big fan of Conor Mcgregor. Can't wait for the Aldo fight!

Great to see someone who believes in themselves, talks it up but more importantly backs it with the results.

Cheers,
    Michael

Brian84 and juzzy like this.
  18. juzzy

juzzy Well-Known Member

Go train at Cia Paulista Australia HQ in King Street. Carlos is one of the best black belts in Melbourne. Former Pan Pac and Pan American champion at black belt. They are very beginner friendly, the higher belts won't bully you and there are still plenty of other white belts there too. No Muay Thai though, only BJJ.

19. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

UFC has a lot of huggings going on. What are the rules because I don't know what I should be looking at.

20. Brian84

There rules are there are no rules. Not to sure except you can't kick or punch in the crackers. I'm not into it that much to know all the rules. I just like watching it.