Sports & Fitness Anybody into Bodybuilding, Weight Training and Fitness, Get in Here!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Ace in the Hole, 21st Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

My knowledge is limited but I think its all about progression towards muscle ups on the rings i.e. strict pull ups, kipping pull ups, chest to bar pull ups, bar muscle-ups, ring muscle ups

Kipping is a basic gymnastics skill on the uneven bars, high bar, parallel bars and rings to generate momentum/swing power.

WOD, again its all about scaling to skill and ability levels i.e. Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced

Looking at the CrossFit Games the Masters Comps are different from the main games

2. Aaronjod

Aaronjod Well-Known Member

I'm a bit biased towards strength training w/ a barbell. Big fan of Rip @ Startingstrength.com. Initially was training and hardly seeing any results, till I got my Mrs interested. She was real careful with her food, tracking her macros etc. She literally got stronger and leaner in front of my eyes whilst I was spinning my wheels. I jumped on-board and haven't looked back. Our regime consists of 3x week barbell training e.g squat, bench press, deadlift and press. We pretty much just do those 4 + a few variations to progressively get stronger over time. Then 2x week conditioning, which usually consists of a circuit or an exercise done for time e.g 10 mins of as many reps as possible chin-ups, then 7-9 rounds of HIIT (high intensity interval training) such as prowler, sprints, rower etc. For anybody that likes to geek-out we use a guy from the states called Jordan Feigenbaum whom also runs barbellmedicine.com, for our programming & nutrition. It's amazing how well people respond to a proper strength regime, and how strong someone can really get.

3. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Damn, I wrote this thread off as a bodybuilding thread and only popped in for a look because my body clock is still messed up from coming home last night. I'll have a proper read and perhaps answer some questions and ask some of my own.

My background is Ironman triathlons and more recently endurance cycling. Currently not racing as I'm just enjoying the pleasure of no pressure and expectations.

Just this weekend I decided I'm definitely going for another WR and am planning it and looking to structure my training. This time I'm going to go all out and train properly and eat correctly to see just how far I can go up!

Already have Peaks Challenge Gold Coast in August, climbing Mauna Kea and other climbs in Hawaii in November and probably back to Chile in January with a look to have my attempt in April.

Bring it on!

pinkboy

Perthguy likes this.
  4. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Build up to 36k long run at 3 weeks out. Your other 3 runs per week should be between 10-20k with hills/fartlek/intervals. Stretch every day. Practice nutrition.

pinkboy

5. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Thanks pinkboy. I did 32km on Sat. Trying to add 2km per week to the long runs, so should hit 40km 3 weeks out. Is it bad to do a full marathon before race day?

My runs during the week is pretty irregular. Combination of fartleks, hill intervals and 10km sprints. Definitely need to stretch more.

6. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Not necessary to run 42 before race day. You're better off training to run 'faster' for 32-36 than doing a 40/42. On the day you will be well prepared anyway.

Remember, the half way mark in a marathon is 36k! ;)

pinkboy

7. mrdobalina

:eek::eek::eek:

8. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Don't scare him pinkboy!
    Agreed, no need to go past 34 kms in training. Nutrition/hydration is the key. And pacing.
    Set you target and stick to the plan, even though you will undoubtedly feel better than you expected for the first 20kms and want to up the pace too early.

9. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I will be calling on your advices soon @Baker too.

Also @mrdobalina - have you ever considered 'split runs '? Run say 15 in the morning and 10 in the afternoon. You still have fatigue in your legs, but you're able to hold form better on the second run. Strictly rest day after this though if you go long on this type of run.

pinkboy

10. mrdobalina

Thanks mate. I've been running to maintain my heart rate around 145, and pace is pretty steady throughout. I'll train up to 36km then. My training has been mainly on a flat route. Need to incorporate more hills, especially after 20km, otherwise I'm gonna get slaughtered on the actual run day.

Missus has been complaining all this running has slimmed me down too much, including upper body.

11. el caballo

el caballo Well-Known Member

AITH,

Any update? Curious to see your progress ....

Cheers
    Greg

12. mrdobalina

Any tips for building more glycogen in the body? Is it a case of carb loading a few days before long runs?

13. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Inspiring to see some expert here.

I lifted recreational weight for the best part of a decade to reach my pinnacle here...

Shortly after this, life got in the way.

I now battle with life and trying to ride 200-250km a week. I'm naturally heavy now (95kg), so makes cycling difficult. I can put down steady power all day, still hold our institutions anaerobic threshold record (Cant remember what it is) and qualified for the world champs last year. But, in a short 6 months, can barely get up the local hills.

Hopefully this thread can keep me somewhat inspired!

Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 1.39.04 pm.png

14. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I reckon a new bike will cheer you up....

pinkboy

15. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Ha ha. For once, I'm actually somewhat content! Although my mtb does need some new wheels. I had dragged my CTL up to 80 again two weeks ago, starting to feel good again, and wham - bad flu lasted 7 days and still post viral not well. CTL back down to 65ish. Argh.

16. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Hi Greg,

I got myself some spikes and blocks and an electronic timing gate thing.
    Then I got some awesome shin splints after that.
    Then I got the flu.

So I was at the end of the 2nd week of sprint training, doing twice a week, and then the shin splints just hit me real hard, pain....
    Took a week off to rest them then got the flu for a week after that, so been down 2 weeks.
    Got to ease back into it and not go in so hard this time.
    Hopefully my shins will adapt from this and be a bit tougher next attempt.
    The high impact must have shocked them a bit and they weren't prepared for this.

Do you have any good prevention/repair techniques for shin splints?

17. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I decided to take up running a couple of years ago and got intense shin pain within a couple of seconds of starting out. Pretty bad. To resolve that I had to learn to run differently. My optimal running style is fast turnover with a mid to forefoot strike pattern. That helped a lot but the main thing was to build up my distances slowly. If I increase my distances slowly, I don't have issues. Running form won't help much with sprinting I think. Changes are you increased your volume too fast. Maybe back off a bit and build up more slowly when you are ready?

18. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Were you running on grass or tartan? If the latter, I would start off on grass for a while, especially as you haven't sprinted for such a long time.

19. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Form is everything with running - even sprinting. Getting biomechanically correct technique takes time and you will be more susceptible to injury in the early stages of training until your body takes in the shock and until the adaptation of the training kicks in.

Recovery is just as important as the training itself - give your body every chance to repair itself both nutritionally and physically resting.

pinkboy

20. el caballo

el caballo Well-Known Member

Ace,

A great effort to start, and an even greater effort to continue, in spite of a temporary setback. You have won the first battle ....

A few salient points:

1) You have moved to the track and spikes too quickly. Graduate - on grass - initially via jogging and slow striding, in runners. Then move it to the track, in running flats. Then move it to more striding on the track in running flats, and then racing flats. Only then move it to running spikes, and finally racing spikes.

2) Shin splints - a nasty ailment indeed, precipitated by "going too hard too soon".

Dynamic dorsiflexion and plantar flexion movements for 10 seconds to 1 minute will also build strength and resistance in the area.

3) Perhaps supplement your land running with a session or two per week of deep end pool sprinting. A great way to build your fitness base.

Please continue to keep me apprised.

Cheers
    Greg