Sports & Fitness Anybody into Bodybuilding, Weight Training and Fitness, Get in Here!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Ace in the Hole, 21st Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. el caballo

el caballo Well-Known Member

Ok Ace, you are clearly a highly motivated individual. Here are a couple of "tips" I'd abide by in a quest at 40yo for a 13s 100m and 55s 400m:

1) Hire a coach - when I made my comeback, I hired a personal coach at $100 per hour. Worth every cent ... until that hamstring went ...
    This will really assist you in getting the warm up and warm down routines down pat.

2) https://www.optomo.com.au/product/rumble-roller-short-blue/?gclid=CKbvm7OSo8YCFVcmvQodxYMALQ

Buy one of these - absolutely brilliant for recovery and rehabilitation. Your first few serious sessions will leave you gingerly sore in every sinew in your body ... and this tool will be your best friend. Best $60 I ever spent.

3) Attend a stretching class, and learn how to elongate tight areas (like your hips) before they injure you. Track sprinting allows very little scope for imperfection, especially if you're seeking 13s and 55s type performances at 40yo.

4) Tailor your gym sessions to being a sprinter .... not a bodybuilder. Ripped and lean, not big and bulky, like the legends below:

http://iluvesports.com/fastest-sprinters-in-the-world/

5) Ensure you buy good quality kit, particularly with respect starting blocks and racing spikes.

If you do indeed give it a go, please update with your progress, from the very first time trial to the very last. The reminiscences will be very fond indeed ...

Best
    Greg

2. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice Greg.
    Will take on board and will update with times if this goes ahead, it's quite a big comittment to do it right.

3. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

image.jpg

I like to lift stuff because my job is so sedentary. I wouldnt trade my health for all the money in the world.

4. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Training up for my first marathon in 10 weeks time. Completed my first half marathon about a month ago.

Any tips for training? My weekly long slow runs are up to about 26km. Don't know how I'm gonna breach the last 16km!

Maybe this is the wrong thread, since most lifters despise cardio right? Lol

158 likes this.
  5. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

I do. Kidding ;)

Going to be a massive thread if anything fitness is going to be discussed.

I see seveal areas emerging from this thread just after 3 pages - power training, bodybuilding, cycling, marathons, cross-fit. Each are so, so different.

6. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

For what it's worth:

I went from 1/2 marathon to full marathon in 7 weeks with no worries (actually, I went from no running and unfit to marathon in 17 weeks overall).

If it's any use as a reference, here's my training diary for those last 7 weeks.
    It's what I actually ended up doing (slightly different to what I planned).

Date | Distance (km) | Time (mm:ss) | Pace (min/km)
    Mon 27-Aug | 21.02 | 01:45:55 | 05:02
    Tue 28-Aug
    Wed 29-Aug
    Thu 30-Aug
    Fri 31-Aug | 10.01 | 00:47:35 | 04:45
    Sat 01-Sep
    Sun 02-Sep | 16.02 | 01:12:19 | 04:31

Mon 03-Sep
    Tue 04-Sep | 12.02 | 00:57:43 | 04:48
    Wed 05-Sep
    Thu 06-Sep
    Fri 07-Sep | 14.01 | 01:08:09 | 04:52
    Sat 08-Sep | 11.37 | 01:00:03 | 05:17
    Sun 09-Sep

Mon 10-Sep | 6.00 | 00:27:25 | 04:34
    Tue 11-Sep
    Wed 12-Sep | 22.00 | 01:58:58 | 05:24
    Thu 13-Sep
    Fri 14-Sep | 13.02 | 01:04:44 | 04:58
    Sat 15-Sep
    Sun 16-Sep | 43.01*** | 03:54:38 | 05:27

Mon 17-Sep
    Tue 18-Sep
    Wed 19-Sep
    Thu 20-Sep | 12.04 | 01:00:27 | 05:01
    Fri 21-Sep
    Sat 22-Sep | 11.83 | 00:59:01 | 04:59
    Sun 23-Sep

Mon 24-Sep | 12.18 | 01:02:09 | 05:06
    Tue 25-Sep
    Wed 26-Sep | 14.04 | 01:09:54 | 04:59
    Thu 27-Sep | 10.01 | 00:47:21 | 04:44
    Fri 28-Sep
    Sat 29-Sep
    Sun 30-Sep | 30.02 | 02:41:25 | 05:23

Mon 01-Oct
    Tue 02-Oct | 2.89 | 00:14:05 | 04:52
    Wed 03-Oct
    Thu 04-Oct | 13.04 | 01:05:04 | 04:59
    Fri 05-Oct
    Sat 06-Oct
    Sun 07-Oct | 21.00 | 01:48:01 | 05:09

Mon 08-Oct
    Tue 09-Oct | 5.00 | 00:22:05 | 04:25
    Wed 10-Oct
    Thu 11-Oct | 13.20 | 01:05:17 | 04:57
    Fri 12-Oct
    Sat 13-Oct | 6.51 | 00:33:04 | 05:05
    Sun 14-Oct | 42.20 | 03:37:30 | 05:09 Melbourne Marathon 2012

*** yes, I did a marathon in training for the marathon. this goes against all normal training lore.
    I was supposed to be a 33km run that day, but got home and was feeling good and wanted to know how my feeding schedule was working and what the last 'killer' 10 km felt like - it stings a bit btw.
    It was worth the experience to know how it feels, and I fine tuned my race energy intake slightly from that, but I wouldn't program it for an anyone I was coaching (not so close to the actual event anyway).

I highly recommend the Melbourne marathon, it was a well organised event.

7. el caballo

Baker

A brief word to say how great it is to have such a well qualified and eminent trainer and coach .... on a property forum, no less!! Have no doubt I will enthusiastically reading your contributions.

8. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

I was hospitalised when I was 19 then not allowed to do any exercise for 12 months. My bodyweight fell from high 60kgs to 50kg. I'm 177cm tall. I looked like a Daddy Long Legs.

A few years later I joined the gym to regain some mass...but I became absolutely addicted.

I clean bulked up to ~80kg over a couple of years.

Then I had an injury (poor breathing while doing 130kg leg extension = explosion in my head also known as an "exertion headache"). Then spent 6 weeks overseas and fell out of the habit completely. I shed nearly 20kg of mass in a year as a result of no training.

I started training again a year ago but a new owner purchased the gym and jacked memberships up 250% and that was it for me.

So I cycle and walk a LOT now, and am back down to the low 60kgs which seems to be my default body mass. I spend a lot of my day sedentary and have an innate need to compensate for that with some form of exercise so I'm always active in one way or another.

I'll take up weight training again in the future, but for now I'm maintaining my fitness on my bike and my feet.

I dug up an old pic. Those of you who have met me will know I am a lot narrower than this these days:

[​IMG]

Ace in the Hole likes this.
  9. mrdobalina

Wow.... The times you did while training were fast! You must have been a natural athlete or built of long distance running.

I've found running to be quite relaxing. Except when I hit the wall at the 25km mark :/

10. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Are you consuming some carbohydrate &/or water during the longer runs? If not, then that will probably be helpful.

11. mrdobalina

For every 10km's, I have an energy gel and drink some water. Is that sufficient?

12. Ace in the Hole

Hey Steve,

Gaining quality mass can be tough for some, it's really hard work to hold and maintain a higher than natural bodyweight, eating enough can be the hardest part.
    The good thing is that it can come back pretty quick after a layoff, so all that hard work is not wasted.

I'm similar, naturally lean and have trouble gaining weight, but it's getting easier as I get older.
    When I finished high school over 20 years ago I was only about 65kg at 183cm - 6ft.
    Over the years with short spurts of training with long layoffs in between, I now sit at about 80kg when on a layoff and relatively lean.
    Quality, permanent mass takes time.
    I can get bounce back to 85kg with a couple months good training, and then break the next plateu if I keep going with it.
    But I don't think size is for me anymore, based on current life comittments, as it takes a lot of time and dedication for little reward.

It's good looking at photos over the years showing how our bodies change over time.
    You don't see these gradual changes when you look in the mirror everyday.

13. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Eating was the hardest part for me, @Ace in the Hole . Was doing 20,000 kilojoules a day. I can't imagine how bodybuilders do it.

I noticed mass came back quicker when I began re-training, even after a few years off.

Currently just aiming to be as fit and healthy as I ever have, for the rest of my life.

14. Investig8

Investig8 Well-Known Member

That's an awesome effort Baker, for the initial 17 weeks did you follow one of those programs like C25K or 10-25K, did you have a previous base for the sport in the prior years?

15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

A couple of months ago I was right into my training: cycling to work, lifting twice a week, running interval training, pilates and yoga. However, I got out of my routine because of a work trip and got sick after that. With illness and the cold weather in Perth, I have not got back into it again. I have set myself a deadline of 1st of July. New financial year and hopefully the motivation to start exercising again. The shortest day of the year is behind us and I am looking forward to some sunlight after work.

16. Ace in the Hole

Ok Greg,

No mucking around here.
    1. I've got my coach, (someone I already know), who I've been in contact with yesterday and he emailed me a program today.
    I'll be down at the track tomorrow morning, (by myself), to do my first light session to ease into it.
    2. I've got plenty of rollers, we sell many variety of these.
    3. I'll think about this, my coach is experienced in this field so he may be able to assist here.
    4. I have an outlined program now based around sprinting, so the weights sessions will not be focussed on the mirror muscles. I'll take Linford Christie's body any day, month, year or decade...
    5. The spikes and blocks will come soon once I get through the initial stages. I'll also buy some timing gates soon for accurate times -
    http://freelapaustralia.com.au/product/freelap-sprint-coach-1/

Ready to go.
    I won't time myself just yet because I know I'll push too hard under the gun, so will make sure I'm well conditioned before unleashing maximum power.
    I'll report my first proper 100m time when I get to it in 3 weeks.

I think 13 for 100 is going to be a lot easier than 55 for 400.
    Time will tell.

17. el caballo

Ace

Legendary will be the only word to describe it if you can do it. And yes the 400m challenge for a non ex-sprinter turning 40yo is almost incomprehensibly difficult.

Financial freedom is easy ... this will be utterly brutal!!!

Best wishes mate,

Greg

18. Ace in the Hole

Thanks, first session done at the track 6am this morning.

el caballo and Patamea like this.
  19. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

13s for 100m and 55s for 400m...:eek:

Just watched this reasonably fit guy do it in 1 minute and 37 seconds

Whats a normal persons time?

Link

20. el caballo

In the spirit of this thread, just in case anyone was curious as to my chosen nom de plume, I watched this legend as a kid and was awestruck as to his brilliance. Introducing Alberto "El Caballo" Juantorena, the 1976 Olympic gold medallist in both the 400m and 800m .... simply unbelievable!!!

That he also broke the world record in the 800m further defies belief!