Education & Work Anybody here current or ex defence force? Trying to choose a role.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 19th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Another option is to just work in defence as a civilian. There are lots of IT jobs in defence sector.

Then again I was in IT in defence sector and got bored and got out of it many years ago.

2. Coconutwheels

Coconutwheels Well-Known Member

Hey there, I’m ex Air Force, 13 years permanent and still in the reserves, although haven’t done any days for a year now.

Seriously go for the Air Force, so flexible and not as regimental. I joined as a troop and commissioned half way through my career, three completely different jobs through my career and it’s actually fairly easy to change.

If you want to have a chat message me and give you my number.

Cheers,Ben

Gockie likes this.
  3. chi.lam

chi.lam Well-Known Member

From your list, Combat Engineers sounds best fit.

Your actual day to day work will be very different depending if you go Officer or Soldier. If you enjoy planning, organising and leading people, then consider being an Officer. If you like to be hands-on doing the work and don't mind following orders, then Soldier. Even as a soldier you will become a leader with experience and capability via the NCO ranks LCPL, CPL, SGT, WO etc.

But yeah, if you choose soldier, see how you go at Basic Training at Kapooka :)

Gockie likes this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Cool stuff. Well, i'm going to the engineering jobs info night tonight at Parramatta. Hopefully I'll get some answers to some questions I've got.
    And me... I'm tough. Love a challenge. But we'll see with Kapooka. I think the running requirement might be very hard though, (I hear they could be a little less "strict" on females??) plus the 6am - 10pm 35 day straight training... guess the harder thing too for me would be a "pay cut" to do this training!

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It's more the emotional side of training rather than the physical side that can be the toughest. It's like a Tiger Mum on meth

6. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Slight differences for push-ups, sit ups, and pack weight but running looks like it's currently the same (you can look up the requirements via the net). I guess they want an Army to be able to move quickly. Seems sensible!

7. chi.lam

chi.lam Well-Known Member

Depending on the sort of lifestyle you normally lead, Kapooka for most people will probably be one of the most physically and mentally demanding things you'll ever do. There'll be sleep deprivation, daily physical activity and expectation to perform under pressure. Not to scare you or anything but it's no stroll in the park. If you love a challenge then you've found it. Btw, I'm not speaking from personal experience because I went through the officer (Duntroon) route about 20 years ago. It's just what I've heard from the grunts and how they think it's tougher than Duntroon :)

8. Gockie

Thanks. I know I won't know unless I do it. :)

9. Gockie

The Engineering info night was not too useful because it was more directed for people planning to finish school/ start uni/ people partway through uni.

But that’s ok.

Back to my situation, I was looking at the jobs, the entry requirements and locations and this is what interests me.

Army Officers:
    * Electrical and Mechanical Engineer
    * Engineering Officer
    * Medical Officer

And
    * Combat Engineer

I’m thinking the jobs of “Electrical and Mechanical Engineer” and “Engineering Officer” it might be hard for me to get a role in since I don’t have any qualifications in those areas. Medical Officer is possibly more likely with my Biology degree (Anatomy and Physiology major). But going for officer my feeling is I could end up in some other role. I suppose that’s ok though. Call it an adventure.

The “Information Systems Technician” role will take a back seat based on what my colleague said (I’d get bored quickly)

Last edited: 27th Jul, 2018
  10. Gockie

I’ve been hearing conflicting advice on this.... would love to get trade skills but I don’t think they do this anymore.