Education & Work Anybody here current or ex defence force? Trying to choose a role.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 19th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hi,
    Decided a while back to see what I could do in the Reserves.... I completely blitzed the aptitude test, maths test, plus a test of mechanical reasoning.... My Job Opportunities Report basically has everything listed except for anything requiring 2020 vision.

So now I have to find my job preferences.
    At the moment I'm looking at Military police, Combat Engineer, Information Systems Technician or Army Officer. I can pick 3 preferences. My next assessment is in a month's time.

A colleague at work who is ex Navy reckons I'd get bored as an Information Systems Technician because he basically did the same job in his Navy career. He reckons I'd be great as an Intelligence Officer but that role isn't currently hiring for reservists. He also reckons the Military police just write very petty/minor infringement type stuff, so it wouldn't be interesting. Personally I think Military police could be interesting but not if it's doing things like catching speeding drivers or issuing parking tickets. I'd have to know what I would be actually doing before going for the role.

I don't have any trade qualifications so I believe that rules a lot of interesting jobs out. :(

I have a Science Degree (Biology), 2 Graduate Diplomas in IT and a Grad Certificate in Professional Accounting. Happy to do something totally different to what I have any qualifications in, and I'd prefer to use my head (solve problems) and hands (build/create/fix things) probably more so than leading people, however when I have a great plan, I'd like people to follow my plan as I know it can lead to great outcomes. But perhaps I don't want to spend my whole time leading people (or doing paperwork/admin!)

I want to build things and I love problem solving (Plus I have a talent for that).

Any thoughts on what's good to do? I'm based in Sydney. And from what I've read it's really difficult to go from one career stream to another in the Defence Force so you want to get your choice right before entering.

Last edited: 19th Jul, 2018
    EN710 likes this.
  2. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

Bit out of date but did 14 yrs ARA and Reserves - RAEME and RAInf.
    Based on your choices:
    1/ Combat Engineer
    2/ Army Officer
    3/ Information Sys Officer
    4/ Military Police
    Make a commitment - you get out of it what you put into it - often many times more. Generally great training and opportunities.
    You would probably like the role of combat engineer....need to use your head and work with your hands - and problem solve.
    Doesn't matter what you do in civilian life....your outlook will change.
    But first you have to pass the recruit course....35 continuous days at Kapooka - you better be very fit, very organised and able to follow orders!
    Well done for the interest to serve our country.

Gockie likes this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I had come contact with the navy military police years ago when I was in the AFP. Beautiful work environment in near kings cross on the harbour - Garden Islands I think.

4. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

They do train reserve personnel. So if you are interested in doing a trade, then talk to recruitment. If you love to build things and problem solve, there's probably a trade role you could take on.

5. hobartchic

As someone else said, get through basic training first!

6. highlighter

highlighter Well-Known Member

Honestly given your educational background I'd say officer. Leadership is taught, and it's very team/problem solving based leadership. That or probably IT tech with your history. I think army also have accountants.

7. Gockie

There is zero chance your see me doing something accounting related in the army.....

8. Gockie

I've read the 35 days of basic training is very jam packed.... out of bed 6am, minimal time for breakfast, don't finish each day till 10pm.... (for me, I think the mornings could be a struggle).

9. hobartchic

I think the mornings probably a struggle for everyone :D

qak likes this.
  10. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

Sorry no offense but I cant see you'd able to go through GI Jane training ;) 35kg backpack in boots walking like 10km i think. Good luck anyways :)

11. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

I am ex-Air Force so I am somewhat biased but have you considered Air Force reserves? Plenty of job types there that will challenge your mind and, while fitness is certainly still important, it is not at anywhere near the level of focus that the Army places upon it.

12. clink

clink Well-Known Member

what do you want to do afterwards? after you finish in the reserves?

13. Gockie

I'm not sure there are that many roles available
    But I can ask.

14. Gockie

People can stay there for years....
    No specific goal.

15. Gockie

I was talking to the careers counsellor and she reckoned it was something like a 25kg pack. Which is better than 35kg!

I did a beep test tonight, first time ever.... we can put down 4.2 as my starting beep test score. 6 and above is not necessarily easy for a normal person. And we are supposed to be 7.2 for reserves....

Last edited: 19th Jul, 2018
  16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

How many push ups do you need to do to get in? I can do 50 over 10 days.

hobo, inertia and AndyPandy like this.
  17. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

That's quite an achievement. I'd struggle to do 5 over 50 days

sharon, Sackie and datto like this.
  18. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

19. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Gockie likes this.
  20. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

PS I remember my brother calling from Kapooka in tears as he couldn't take it anymore. It's a **** of a place but hopefully not so bad now. It's a tear you down to build you back up type place to learn the value of hierarchy.

Gockie likes this.