Sports & Fitness Anybody competing ?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Ace in the Hole, 4th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Timed my 100m sprint for the first time in almost 25 years.
    In the dark this evening with a slow standing start got 12.53s.
    Not a quick time, but I'm injury free and plenty of improvement ahead.
    If I can knock a full second off this time in the next 12 months, I can compete in my 40-44 masters age group.
    I think I'll be more competitive at 200m than the 100m based on my slow starts.

Simon Hampel, paulF and Propagate like this.
  2. el caballo

el caballo Well-Known Member

In the running at Stawell, but Leigh Phelan knows a win will cost him

Ace in the Hole likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I may have to give Cranky Charlie's a crack this year but will need to get over a few injuries.

Ace in the Hole likes this.
  4. el caballo

el caballo Well-Known Member

@Scott No Mates , let me guess, given the angles in skiing, knee-related?

5. Scott No Mates

@el caballo - angles and elephant snot led to my undoing, tibia and fibula not the AC ligament or ankle, thankfully.

6. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Should stick to safer sports....like bike riding! o_O:rolleyes:

pinkboy

7. Scott No Mates

Totally agree - gravity sux.

158 likes this.
  8. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

I cut short Friday's ride. The weather was terrible, we got cold and wet from the get go and I had a cold coming on thanks to the better half so was completely flat the whole ride. We found a short cut 2/3rd the ways around and pulled the pin for a 100k at 1400vm loop instead of the planned 140. First time I've ever bailed mid ride, but it just wasn't fun. So cold and wet.

Still, at least that meant I had some in the legs for Saturday so went our for the Couch-To-10k week 10, run 3 which is 5x 12 minute intervals. I worked out a trail route based on my current pace and managed to knock over my first 15k run. Very happy with that but I did pull up a little sore.

Went out slow for yesterday's session as I was full of cold by then, ran at my mates pace which is about 1 minute per k slower than my current pace. Got 3/4's thew way around and my right calf went "pop". Limped the remaining sectors back to the car.

Not too bad this morning but the right calf is very sore and painful to walk. Pretty bummed out to pick up my first proper injury. I'll see how it is tomorrow but unless it's A1 I'll sit out tomorrow nights session and see how it is for Friday. Last thing I want to do is completely bugger it up just as I'm feeling I'm getting decent base.

paulF likes this.
  9. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

@Propagate , hope your calf injury is not too bad. RICE it and see how you go but make sure you take enough time to let it heal completely otherwise it will cost you lots more in the long term. Give your body time to adapt and also another major aspect with running injuries is form so work on bettering if you think your running form form is not optimal.

Been having a minor right shoulder pain for over two months now and even though i can train hard, the pain hasn't subsided so taking a week of weight lifting which is overdue to be honest. I injured it when i decided not to use a Chain saw to cut a large tree down but instead opted for a bow saw. Took around 5 hours of non stop sowing and didn't take a rest from lifting back then.

Propagate likes this.
  10. 158

158 Well-Known Member

FB_IMG_1493333892252.jpg

Blast from the past. Back when I was a little quicker!

pinkboy

paulF, mrdobalina and Propagate like this.
  11. Propagate

12. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Was this your first Ironman-Foster Ironman 2003?

13. 158

158 Well-Known Member

2003 yes. First Ironman no. I did IMA 2002 and I also did IMNZ 3 weeks before this pic was taken. I learned a very important lesson on this day about proper tapering and structured training. I was very refreshed from racing pretty hard the 3 weeks prior, and I went 9min quicker this day in much better shape.

At IMA 2004 I ditched any racing in the preparation months, and did a week long training camp 3-2 weeks prior to race day and a good taper. To good effect, I went 9.32 and jagged a spot for Hawaii!

pinkboy

mrdobalina, Propagate and turk like this.
  14. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Good stuff, IMA 2002 and 2003 were also my first 2 ironmans, unfortunatly no Kona spots.

mrdobalina and 158 like this.
  15. Propagate

How's everyone's training going?

I've stalled due to injury, it's so frustrating I cant tell you!!!

My calf went "twang" on my last run just over 2 weeks ago. Not really painful at all, just a strange sensation, almost like someone had ran a sharp knife across the back of it and cut it open. I stayed off it all that week as it twinged with each step. I figured it was just a strain as I've upped my k's and had ridden 100k on the Friday, then ran 15k on the Saturday then it popped on the Monday's run.

Amyway, I committed the sin of consulting Doctor Google and managed to convince myself that I'd ruptured the join between the muscle and top of the Achilles tendon, cant remember what the condition is called. Suffice to say I thoroughly ****** myself off reading that.

I decided to lay off the bike the following weekend and miss the next couple of runs the following week too, just to give it a good chance to heal. It did seem to be coming good after a week of doing nothing, so I gave it a little test on Anzac Day, just a couple of very light 5 minute jogs.

On the way back to the car my hip gave out FFS!

Hobbled into the shower and an early night only to wake up at 1am with the Mother of all sore throats, sure enough by end of next day full blow man flu, which has now landed firmly on my chest.

I'm just about through the worst of that but can barely walk still as my lower back has decided to join the fun and **** itself too. I reckon favoring that calf for a week has thrown everything out a little bit and bothered the hip which in turn has bothered the back.

So, I'm sat here at work completely fed up, I'm over the worst of the cold, the calf feels OK but still get the occasional ache/twinge (not in the same spot as the "failure" though), but it's enough to keep me worrying over what I may have done to it and whether my running career is over before it really ever began and I can't go give it a tentative test as my bloody back & hip wont let me walk more than 10 paces.

Anyway, feel free to ignore this post - I just needed a "woe is me" vent.....

Going to jump on the spin bike tonight if my hip & back will hold and just turn the legs over to get some blood moving.

So frustrating, 2 weeks ago I was feeling a million bucks, I'd dropped weight, ran further than I ever had in my life and reached a point where I was starting to think distance running was achievable and more importantly was really enjoying running and now I just feel like a worn out old man.

The worst bit is I have not been able to stop thinking about the calf since I did it and I won't be able to settle until I've got a few runs back onto it to see if I have trashed it or not. The back & hip are old issues, I know they'll pass but the calf is a worry.

Bought some Skins compression tights in readiness for when I can get back out, just to give it as much chance as possible!

16. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Injuries suck, how old are you now?
    I'm just guessing, but could be a case of too much too soon.
    Slow adaptation, especially when getting older is what's needed to build the specific tendon no ligament strength.
    I've found in the past my muscles can get super strong in just 6 weeks of hard training, but the connective tissues take so much longer than that and are the first to fail.
    I actually had a calf strain myself a week ago for the first time in my life.
    Thoroughly researched it and the consensus is 4-6 weeks of no direct activity.
    I was limping for a couple of days but 4 or 5 days later was absolutely fine.
    Will test it out very lightly soon and be extremely cautious.
    Anyway, good luck with your recovery and try to work around it where you can.

17. Propagate

I think you're dead right @Ace in the Hole too much too soon. I started "running" after Christmas, very slowly then picked up the couch to 10K app and the calf went at start of week 11, at 3 days a week.

I'm 41, I've got a good engine from years of riding but never been a runner or any real sport that jars your body much so I think you're spot on about the connective bits.

I've always been able to push myself a bit so I think I've pushed a bit too hard, the app was supposed to be 0 to 10 k in 18 weeks, I hit 15k in the allotted time for week 11 so ahead of the curve but obviously the heart and lungs aren't matched well to the running legs yet.

I'll have another week of no runnjng that'll be 3 weeks off then. Did a very easy half hour on the spinner tonight, calf felt ok and the bike kept the weight off the hip. I'll put another couple of easy spin sessions in this week and see if the hip comes good to pick the runnjng up again next week.

Got a new Garmin watch so when I fire back up I'm going to look at training in the HR zones, that'll force me to wind the speed off a bit and let the body get stronger.

Hope your calfs ok! Bloody sucks to cop something, I'm no super star athelete by any means but 2 weeks of no exercise has had me climbing the walls! Especially now the weathers turned to cack too.

18. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

I'm racing in the Australasian Superbike Championship this year. Learning the ropes of road racing this year before stepping it up a notch next year.

Between this, training (cycling and running), work/business, and development, i've got a pretty full plate which is good.

paulF and Propagate like this.
  19. skater

skater Well-Known Member

All our family have competed at World Championships for Roller Skating. My last competition was in 2008, then had to quit due to Osteoarthritis. I had a full hip replacement 2.5 years ago & now I've got to be careful that I don't do too much.:(

Hubby & I have recently started doing a 'Staying Active' class for the over 50's. Now that might seem rather tame, but sheesh! the instructor is a personal trainer & there is nothing tame about these classes. It's only a small class & he seems to invent new ways to torture us each week. There seems to be one set of (easy) exercises for everybody else & another much, much harder set for myself, Hubby & one other. It's a lot of fun though, as it's held in the gymnasium (gymnastics, that is) and we get to use different equipment on a regular basis.

paulF and Propagate like this.
  20. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Ran a 10k yesterday on impulse. Haven't run since 2013. Really, really feeling it today. I backed it up with 70km on the bike this morning and 2x hours of netball training this arvo. Will be well and truly shattered in the morning.

pinkboy

paulF likes this.