Sports & Fitness Anybody competing ?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Ace in the Hole, 4th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

You'll be in rather esteemed company if you run 4 minute mile!

paulF likes this.
  2. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

Ace
    I'm looking at doing the Melbourne Marathon this year after 18 months off with an injured ankle.
    I've done a couple dozen Ultras', mostly at the Canberra marathon. I'm in my 50's now whish I'd taken up the long distances earlier but played a lot of sport into my 40s so lack of time and a love of bourbon curtailed that ambition. I think I love the solitude of trying to keep up my pace over the years and not having to rely on anyone else to get out of bed. I do a half marathon every Saturday - not quick but steady pace - work up a thirst. Run 6 days a week, weight training for 5. Get up at 4am every workday morning go for a run then into my home gym before work. It's all about discipline, feel like **** if I don't do it.
    So it's refreshing to see the fellow Property chatters who are having a go later in life. The hardest part is starting, once you get into that exercise rhythm you'll never look back.
    Sorry if this post is a bit long winded but just want to encourage everyone.

Gladys, TerryN, Player and 5 others like this.
  3. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

That's a huge dedication for a working guy in his 50's !
    Much respect to your work ethic.

4. Phil_22

Phil_22 Well-Known Member

Haha just the usual distraction that hits most males at that point in time ;)

Thanks for the luck.

Yep the Masters is my favourite sporting event of the year can't wait.

5. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

I'll high five ya in Melbourne when you run past me :)

6. RS Gumby

We'll be both having a go and that's the main thing!

7. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I did archery for a few years; picked up on the skills pretty quickly. Won state compound title, state recurve title + overall, one national title (indoor), made the national team within 2 years and competed in the World Cup in Turkey where I got demolished, but oh well :)

A good coach is probably the most important thing to keep you progressing along the right path.

TerryN, Ace in the Hole and Propagate like this.
  8. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

...and as you pass me doing the half marathont you can both grab me under an armpit each and help me to the end ;) @duanerek @mrdobalina

RS Gumby likes this.
  9. Propagate

Well, Monday was week 10, day 1 of the Couch to 10k program. 5 minute walk with 5x 10 minute intervals (with a short walk between each one). It felt a bit strange at first going back to "only" 10 minutes of running after building up to 25 minute blocks last week, but after the session I'd covered 13.2k and got a PR for 10k at 52 minutes.

May not seem a lot to seasoned runners, but for a none-runner who thought 10k was unachievable 2 months ago, I'm stoked!

Tonight's session is the same again, be interesting to see how that goes.

Weirdly, my appetite and cravings are rapidly changing. I managed to knock my daily morning donut(s) on the head last week after battling to try and do so for months. Most of the time I never really wanted one, it was pure addiction. After only a week of essentially cutting out sugar completely, (not just the donuts and occasional chocolate but actively checking how much sugar is in most of the food I eat), I feel so much better and the last thing I feel like doing now is shoveling a donut into my face.

I'm going to take a serious look at my diet over the coming weeks, not that I eat badly, but I am interested to see what might be achievable in terms of general health and fitness rather than the hotch-potch way I've always done it. I'm not looking to become an elite athlete by any means, just curious to see if I can actually eat clean for longer than a week! Might even knock the booze on the head for a bit. (Sheesh, did I really just say that? Maybe I'm having a mid life crisis, I guess getting fit & healthy has to be better and cheaper than a sports car and an affair).

Chris McDougall & Rich Roll have a lot to answer for, just reading "Finding Ultra" at the moment, at this rate I'll be a fully blown Vegan by the end of April ;-)

10. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Tokyo 2020 for you then.

11. RS Gumby

Great stuff Propagate
    If you can run 10k you will be able to complete a half marathon no worries
    Good to see you're experimenting with your diet - I've been a Vegan for a few years now and never felt better!!!!
    Never too late!

Propagate likes this.
  12. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Nicely done @Propagate!
    A good diet will make a crazy good difference and especially staying away from alcohol. I drink occasionally and go over board from time to time and the difference in performance is very obvious when i'm off the drink!
    You will start noticing how little food you need to sustain your body/exercise and you'll have great energy reserves on demand :)

Propagate likes this.
  13. Propagate

Thanks @duanerek @paulF I'm certainly noticing the difference already.

Last nights session was the same as Monday's, 5x 10 minutes intervals plus short walk between Looked like this - 5 minutes walk warm up then 10R 1W 10R 2W 10R 3W 10R 4W 10R and 5 minutes walk cool down. Another PR for the 10k in the middle at just over 50 minutes and covered 12.6k. So, in two sessions this week that's 26k knocked over. To be honest that boggles my mind as someone that couldn't run from one lamppost to the next a few months ago.

I touched base with the Melbourne Marathon mob yesterday. I'm definitely keen to sign up for the half but part of me really wants to have a crack at the full and there's plenty of time yet to train up to that. They said you can register for the half then upgrade to the full nearer the time if there's places left, so that's the plan at the moment. Register for the half and if my training volume works out over the next couple of months I'll look at changing to the full.

I'll have to skip tomorrow's run though, I've got a 140k gravel ride out of Yarragon with 3200m of climbing to go enjoy!

turk and paulF like this.
  14. RS Gumby

Yarragon - not far from me, i'll be doing a half around Glengarry tomorrow!

15. Propagate

Cool. Might bump into you? I'll say G'Day to any runners I come across, if you see a red bearded guy saying hello to you from a bike, it's probably me!

I'm re-riding my favorite ride from last year to show a mate the route as he couldn't make the first run of it last year.

This is the route I'll be doing:-

Bike Ride Profile | Audax - Grand Ridge Road near | Times and Records | Strava

16. RS Gumby

Nice scenery up that way although you will work up a thirst!!

Propagate likes this.
  17. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Raced in the team event a Melbourne Half Ironman on Sunday, great weather, cold, lightning, thunder, torrential rain and gale force winds.

We had a reunion of a tiathlon club and formed 12 teams of 3, good to catch up with old friends.

I managed a 1hr. 51min half marathon off 4 weeks training, happy with that.

paulF and Propagate like this.
  18. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I'm riding up and down a hill 152x times tomorrow to get a 10,000m climb day. Should be fun......NOT!

pinkboy

paulF, Propagate and turk like this.
  19. Propagate

Everesting? @pinkboy Is it a hill not done before, will you get our name on the Everesting hall of fame for it?

20. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I did this hill in September last year: Bike Ride Profile | #everest #lynettedrive near | Times and Records | Strava

Mate of mine said he wanted to try one, and this hill was his preferred option. Not my preferred because Ive done it before, but Ill have a go helping him even though I have been off the bike lately.

pinkboy

paulF and Propagate like this.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF