Education & Work Any uber drivers out there?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by bob shovel, 15th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Its probably harder to do a cashie with uber too. Traditional taxis are good for bargaining

2. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Who cares what Melbourne does!?
    Probably just some under the table, bullying, hipster tactics to keep the circle of trust happy

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I didn't think that the airport was listed on the uber webthingy.

5. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

Hahaha...true !! :D

6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

My cabbie last week spent most of the trip telling me I should use Uber as it was about 30% cheaper, because that's what he does.

7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Uber still illegal in NSW but won't be long before that changes by the looks of things.

I used to drive cabs and I can tell you that off the meter jobs do regularly happen. So do private bookings. If you're savvy/good customer skills you can make plenty of cash. But you have to work 6 days (at least) and the job wears you out.

If/when Uber becomes legal you'll get unregulated cowboys driving around pubs and train stations picking up passengers for quick cash. Plenty of money during the peak periods due to high demand.

8. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

I drove Cabs both in Newcastle and Sydney's Mount Druitt in the 90's.
    Lower class areas are the busiest with calls to pubs etc .

Back then you could make money from Cabs but nowadays far too many and the rental fee to hire the cab for 12 hours makes it too difficult to make money as well as return it with a full tank and some owners even demand you wash the cab before returning it .

I remember one owner charging me a exhorbiant rental fee one New Years Eve then adding a KM limit and if you went over that limit it was something like 50 cents a Km .

At least with Uber your in front straight away .

9. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

10. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I use a shuttle bus when going to the airport, cheaper than a taxi or uber, a few workmates swear by uber though and have a regfulardriver/guy

11. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Drive Uber in NSW and risk having your car off the road for three months if caught by Transport officials. Uber are trying to challenge this through the courts.

Unrestricted taxi plates in Sydney are now down to $280K. If Uber doesn't get up taxi plates will jump 100K IMO.

Any punters out there?

12. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Uber will succeed in NSW IMHO.

13. House

House Well-Known Member

14. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

So if Uber is now considered illegal in Victoria and NSW, why is NRMA insuring these types of drivers? Has anyone seen one of their polices?

15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I caught a cab today with a very disillusioned cabbie. He's been driving for close to 30 years and walking away from his taxi plates. Country has gone to ******, apparently.

16. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

My Uber rides this week.
    Driver #1. Finishes work at certain large hardware store that is about an hour from his house. Turns on Uber to try and get some rides on the way home. Or rings wife and sees if she's working late, if she is, he'll drive for 4hrs until she gets home around 9.
    Driver #2. just started 2 weeks ago. Does it during school hours and then once the kids are in bed again for a few hours.

17. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

I'm going to try my first Uber ride tonight. Uber suggests fare $19-$25. Taxi fare estimator $23.18 - $32.45 (+ 5% credit card). So not a huge difference in price, but Uber is also suggesting pickup in 9min. No idea how long I'd need to wait for a taxi!

18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Things wouldn't be too rosy if you owned a taxi these days.

Firstly the value of a taxi plate is dropping.

Then you got increased competition from unuathorised drivers that are eating into your cashflow.

That's a double whammy for the cabbie.

Then there are insurances, rego and radio fees that are not getting cheaper.

But wait there's more, if the poor cabbie is still paying the plate off, better leave an extra tip And tell the driver early about the tip! You don't want him driving off a bridge en route.

19. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

If it's your first uber have a peak around for a referral code, you can get I think $20 off the first ride (might be $10).

It's a tough one, I feel for those individuals who have outlaid the money but at the same time I fully support the complete deregulation of that terrible industry that has had too much of a monopoly and power for far too long and used it to gouge everyone at every chance.

It's an industry where the level of regulation and red tape is just ridiculous and achieves nothing, it's just a shame that a lot of hard working folks who are equally victims of that are the ones who pay a significant portion of the cost.

20. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

I got a referral code off a colleague, but unfortunately, it only worked if I signed up with that code - I'd already signed up. And it would have been $10.

Turns out the trip cost $20.xx. Pretty good value. I was offered a bottle of water and mints, which would be unheard of in a taxi! Driver had been doing it full time for about 12 months.