Any timber flooring guys out there?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Depreciator, 11th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I'm up to the flooring in the 'renovation I didn't want to start':

Another reno I didn't want to start

The old cypress floor has come up and the new cypress flooring will go down on the weekend - probably.
    The rest of the house has cypress and I reckon it's been down for at least 40 years so it has that nice gold/honey colour.
    New cypress looks nothing like it.
    What are my chances of staining the new stuff so it gets a bit closer to the old stuff? I'm not expecting an exact match, just something close.
    Any preferred stains?
    I will finish it in a hard wax oil product.

Scott

2. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

We and a few of our friends have used a bloke from Strathfield, i am pretty sure he is called Miracle floor sanding.
    He was fast, professional and top notch, I will confirm his details tomorrow with my mate who put me onto him.
    His price to was excellent

3. CU@THETOP

CU@THETOP Well-Known Member

Dunno about the staining business but I'm having my hardwood box brush (?) floor done by a retired sander who tells me:
    Always punch the nails first- otherwise sanding pads get damaged leaving scours on the surface;
    Rough sand, polyvac, fine sand polyvac;
    Make sure it is edged with a separate machine so they don't gouge the skirting boards;
    Oil based only- water based gum up the sanding pads when you want to remove it:
    Make sure they don't water down the polish;
    My guy- a perfectionist- is doing 4 coats- the usual seems two- better polishers will do 3 coats;
    If oil based you can touch up if it gets marked a year or two later without having to sand the whole lot back to scratch- after touch up it will look like new- so I'm told.

4. Depreciator

Thanks for that. I'll probably sand it myself with my trusty Festool Rotex 150. Boy, it's a great thing. Brand new flooring won't need too much. I'll be putting the skirtings in after the floor is finished. I'm looking forward to having a floor in the room - I had a mishap the other day and nearly ended up in the kitchen below.

5. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Yep - get some Granat and then really enjoy it :) . If I hadn't decided on bamboo on top of the existing, I'd be using mine (on 120sqm!).

6. Depreciator

120sqm is a fair bit. I think that would tip me over the edge.

7. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

Our PPOR has cypress right through. We sanded and oiled all floor areas except the kitchen with tung oil 7 and a half years ago and then did the kitchen 3 years ago after I removed the old vinyl that was stuck on top of it. The main areas have definitely ambered more than the kitchen but over time the two floors are getting closer in tint. The brand of oil makes a difference too. And give it lots of sunlight.

I wouldn't be staining it, just give it time to work its magic.

8. Depreciator

That's good to know, Davo. I thought it would take longer than that to start to colour. I'll have to do some research on oils.

9. Depreciator

Okay, so the cypress floor went down. There was a 2mm height difference between many of the boards. Different batch from the mill? Lazy operator? I thought I would get away with just a finish sand, but no such luck.
    So I found a floor guy and he came over at 5pm yesterday for a look. He said the height difference wasn't unusual with new cypress. He asked whether I was in a rush and I said I was. Then I said, 'You know, Lois, if I helped you get the sander upstairs now and if I do the edges while you do the main bit, we can knock this over in 2 hours and you'll go home with $300 cash in your pocket that you weren't expecting.'
    We were all done by 7pm.

10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

You have to care full with this gear,i have used it many times to blend in the wood on floors,what i do is dilute the acid down then just do a few test runs on small pits of timber till they match it takes a while for the acid too eat into the surface..
    Oxalic Acid 100% - 1001 uses.... and still counting! Brilliant for Rust & Iron Stain Removal.

11. Depreciator

I found a Feast Watson stain that gets me close to a colour match.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia