any suggestions please for neighbour causing hassles with me and council

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by justine77, 11th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

any suggestions please for neighbour causing hassles with me and council

block of flats is over 50 years old and never had any trouble before.

a neighbour at the end of an adjoining lane, we can actually only see their garage at the end of this lane, complain about noise and all sorts of things and seem to have called council on us who now are telling us to do things that we have never been told before or had a trouble with in 50 years

eg telling us to remove a small storage under the stairs which is fully enclosed and kept locked and just has maintenance items eg paint. They suddenly say that someone could get locked inside even though the doorway to it is small and always kept locked.

telling us to make the rail on the first floor balcony higher by 7 days time.

i dont know if it is linked to that or to a family matter of a tenant having trouble with an ex
    but we have noticed a yellow car loitering around in front of the flats today many times with the engine on and when we went out and stared at it we heard them saying on the phone or to people next to them and in the back of the car
    i cant now i've got to go
    and there was red flashing lights possibly photos being taken from person in the back of the car as they drove off.

if its to do with the personal family matter involving car of a child, what could they want ?
    evidence against that family
    kidnap child
    scoping place to kidnap child
    wanting to steal laptop to find out evidence
    without being ridiculous what could all the reasons be why a car with a few people inside would be loitering outside if we assume its about the family with a current child custody issue
    and what could be the red plashing lights if it wasnt taking photos.

we can put cameras around the flats i guess urgently. i'm unsure how all the tenants would think about that.. maybe we hve to say we have seen a car loitering around.

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I'm a bit confused...
    Neighbour - are they in a house separate from flat?
    What's storage below stairs and balcony got to do with child custody?

Cactus and Joynz like this.
  3. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

Hi. I can't see how the two matters are linked. But could you ring the police with the number plate of the yellow car?

Perthguy, wylie and Luke T like this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Without really understanding the link between the car, the family and the neighbour or why council has been brought into this, the thing that stands out to me is the railing height.

Why would council insist you have one week to bring railing height up to code when you've not triggered anything that normally would make this necessary? Ditto the cupboards under the stairs, except that I'm guessing they were never built in initially and the changes are dangerous somehow?

I'd stay out of the rest of it except to report the car hanging around and taking photos to the police.

Marg4000 and Perthguy like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Yellow cars are in bad taste and a crime against society. The car owner should be locked up.

Wall Street, datto, charttv and 3 others like this.
  6. justine77

exactly i was hoping someone else could explain this to me as i dont know the answer to this
    i dont know how this neighbour who lives away from the flat maybe 15 metres away down a laneway that passes by the flats, and we can only see his garage, i dont know how he can complain to the council and after 50 years and suddenly after no issues for 50 yers we are told that safe locked storage under the stairs must be removed and that the railing must be made 10 cm higher and the rails closer together to comply with new rules and that we only have a week to do this.

i also dont know if the yellow car seen loitering around meant anything to us re the neighbour or to a tenant re their custody issue , or wht they were doing there and if they were taking photos . i dont know if i should do anything about it. Just in case i asked a friend living in a block of flats opposite to keep a look out and get their number plate, If it becomes a worry i can put up security cameras.

7. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

they say a lot about a personality ....

8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You are mixing up several quite separate issues.

1. The neighbour. You seem unsure whether they called the council or not. Have you tried talking to them to see if there is an issue and what is? Is a tenant of the flats causing trouble for them?

2. The council. No matter how or why, it appears they are now involved and have issued you with orders to rectify perceived building defects. Probably best to comply, or lodge an objection to the orders if you feel you have grounds to do so. Council building requirements change over the years, so the fact things have been ok for 50 years does not mean they are ok today.

3. The yellow car. Get the registration number and report it to the police if you feel it is up to no good.
    Marg

(I once had a yellow car - it was a Kingswood and no, I didn't polish the dipstick!!)

WattleIdo and Perthguy like this.
  9. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

"SPOTTO" :p

HUGH72 and chindonly like this.
  10. wylie

Generally though council will not ask for railing heights to be raised until there is some sort of planning where you want approval to do something else. Then the whole building may need to be brought up to code.

(But maybe if someone reports something they have some power to push for this sort of thing to be done?)

And to be honest, if I had a place with low railings I'd be making them safe anyway.

Perthguy and Marg4000 like this.
  11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Hi Justine

What did the Council notice say, exactly?

Handyandy likes this.
  12. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

I assume it is the neighbour making a complaint that has triggered an inspection of the whole building by the council. Seems that rather than the council just attending to the noise complaint they have taken it on themselves to do a total building inspection.

The height of the balustrading should be a non issue as that was what it was approved at back 50 years ago. As such it still complies as approved.

The store room under the stairs may be an issue as they could classify it as unapproved modification and being part of the staircase possibly a fire hazard.

Some years ago we had a fire inspection done on a block of unit and as part of the inspection they suddenly wanted an engineers report on the cantilevered balconies. I told them no way as there was absolutely no visible reason the request a report. They meekly accepted that particularly after I walked them around the building and showed them what was done re the fire inspection and other maintenance carried out on the building. At the end they were very impressed with the general level of repair of the whole block compared to other strata blocks in the area.

datto likes this.
  13. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I can't work out what is going on, but if you have orders from the council, you better not ignore it, talk to them if clarification is needed.

Perthguy and wylie like this.
  14. justine77

wylie and handyandythank you

yes council laws have changed for the railings
    they are not low
    they are just 10 cm lower than the new requirements. they are not low at all and in 50 years have not been an issue
    apparently they also are not close together enough either

no planning approval is being sought
    nothing is being done to the building

as you say the council instead of just dealing with noise must of instead decided to do an entire building inspection

so is it true that
    The height of the balustrading should be a non issue as that was what it was approved at back 50 years ago. As such it still complies as approved.

(the yellow car issue i think can be ignored i dont beleive it was anything to worry about after all . just someone making phonecalls stopped in front for a long time or repetitively which looke like they were loitering. the lights that flashed from the back i didnt see but maybe it was the suns reflection or from stop lights. i think they live nearby and it just looked like they were loitering.)

15. justine77

so is there any way to tell the council that storage under the stairs isnt a fire hazard and isnt a danger and noone can get locked into it ?

they apparently have to fix the distance between the railing and the height of it within a week. it is not an issue it is not dangerous its never been an issue in over 50 years and theres no approvals being sought to need to bring everything up to recent code
    waht do you suggest we do please

16. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I very much doubt that the balustrading is a non-issue. There have been a lot of child falls off balconies and out of windows resulting in new laws requiring window fastenings and balcony safety.
    I have no idea why you only have one week to comply. I can only imagine that you've been given plenty of notice and haven't taken heed. Get with the times. Get with the program. 50 years ago many things were very different and parents didn't live in flats with kids and people were a lot shorter!
    Not sure when hanyandy managed to convince his inspector but he did say 'Some years ago'. I doubt anyone could do it now, especially not you.

17. wylie

My understanding is that until something else happens to a building (renovation or improvement) that requires approvals, you don't have to bring this type of thing up to code. Half of the old six-packs in Brisbane have low railings. That doesn't mean you shouldn't fix something that is dangerous.

But if the council has written to you, then you need to call them and find out exactly what needs doing, why and when.

Please don't take this as advice. I'm no expert.

Why don't you want to call council and ask about this?

Perthguy likes this.
  18. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say I am a yellow car driver, she is commonly referred to as "the custard tornado"
    Otherwise known as Hyundai Getz

Marg4000 likes this.
  19. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

In general, apart from pool fences, this sort of thing is not retrospective.

Justine can you please indicate under what code or clause the council is requiring you to change the balcony? They will have mentioned it in their letter to you.

Perthguy likes this.
  20. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Superglue their garage shut.

JacM likes this.