Any suggestions on this bathroom renovation

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by sue Casey, 3rd Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sue Casey

sue Casey Member

I am replacing bath and vanity and re doing shower which is leaking badly , I think that facing wall is ugly and don't know how to fix that also will old 80's floor tiles need to go ?Budget around 5k Thanks DSC00626.JPG

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

For a budget of $5k I'd simply replace the bath with a freestanding one, retile the floor and walls and put in a new vanity and new shower screen.

3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I'd probably do:

- new vanity (have a look at Lizzie's post re: timber vanities/using a sideboard)
    - retile shower with frameless doors
    - retile around the bath and up to the bulkhead
    - I would use same tile for floor and wall like attached (pick something timeless though). Maybe tile on top of the floor tiles....wall tiles and tiles alongside of tub need to be removed though, and shower needs to be re-waterproofed and redone according to you. In fact, if you're going through the trouble, maybe Wylie's right to just put a trendy freestanding bath in place of the tub

utopia ensuite.jpg

Last edited: 3rd Jul, 2020
    Lizzie likes this.
  4. sue Casey

sue Casey Member

Thanks for the ideas very helpful.I wonder if I could go for a similar look to the photo above, that's beautiful,
    using the wall behind the bath as the feature wall . I have decided to up the budget to get a really nice look.

5. wylie

What are your room dimensions? You could look at a freestanding bath with shower beside it and then a glass wall so the bath and shower are in a "wet area" with vanity outside in the dry area.

But it depends on how much room you have. I'm guessing toilet is separate?

Archaon likes this.
  6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Moving the shower so it goes vanity, shower, bath would certainly increase the budget but could give you a very different outcome/look.

This is a bit like @wylie's suggestion but you can ignore the toilet

[​IMG]

Lizzie likes this.
  7. sue Casey

sue Casey Member

Thanks Wylie and Westminter , it look great , but the room is too small, 1.5 wide with a 40cm extra width( for 1 meter) in the corner where the shower is and 2.7 long ,separate toilets, though I am inspired . from the feedback.

8. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

@Westminster could the OP get away with a deep freestanding bath? such as this?

or a 1400?

If so, 2.7x1.5 should be just enough.

wylie likes this.
  9. wylie

From your post, does your room look like this, with a 1m long piece pushed out the side? And 1.7m total length and 1.5m width where I've drawn a bath?

If so, could this work? And even better if you can swap a hinged door for a cavity slider.

Your towel rails can be on the back wall over the bath or at the end of a 1450 long bath or if you use a cavity slider you have a decent wall there to mount some towel rails.

Image 4-7-20 at 9.10 pm.jpg

Lizzie and Archaon like this.
  10. sue Casey

sue Casey Member

That is very interesting thank you, Wylie your diagram is right for the room and I can see it would work, . Would I put the glass partition opposite the recessed section at 1.7cm or closer to the bath?.Not sure about which walls will need floor to ceiling tiling, what do you think?I have a cabinet maker coming this week, he can build a vanity to fit in the recess.Thanks for the bath link westminster that would be very nice there.I really appreciate your help.

11. Westminster

Yup the bathroom in my picture is 1500mm wide so has a 1400mm bath and the shower screen is 800mm fixed panel with a 700mm opening

I think @wylie interpretation would work but for some reason my head wants the shower screen on the left side

Lizzie and Archaon like this.
  12. Westminster

I think I'd line it up with the recess (the old shower area) and run it from the left hand side so that it's sort of a clear path from door to rear wall

Your bathroom is quite small I'd be very tempted to go full height all the way around. A simple white matte 300 x 600 tile on the side walls and the grey tile on the floor and up the wall would look quite nice. The white tiles keep the costs down :)

Archaon likes this.
  13. Westminster

[​IMG]

Instead of niches you could build up a 1000mm high x 100mm deep wall underneath the window so that there is some place for things

Bit like the bath below:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Archaon likes this.
  14. wylie

I drew it that way initially and then switched it due to the door swing and easy walk from vanity into wet area - but works either way.

15. Shire86

Shire86 Member

5k budget
    Spray bath
    Install frameless Showerscreen
    Replace tap ware with new.
    Re-tile floor
    Potentially feature tile On wall above Bath

16. shane the plumber

shane the plumber New Member

From a plumbers point of view.
    Is it a flat or a house?
    Ground floor or second floor?
    If you move the plumbing fixtures the plumbers bill would be close to $5K.
    Leave the existing bath in place as free standing baths are impractical to clean around in a small space.
    Rip out the vanity and install a wall hung basin, nothing to rot.
    Strip out the tiles in the shower and re-waterproof then new tiles.
    Tiling over existing tiling is an option I would never accept on a bathroom renovation with existing waterproofing issues.
    All the best

17. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

Hi Team, old thread and looks like the most close to my enquiry.

We have this old bathroom in the home we purchased. Vendor upgraded- kitchen, laundry, main bathroom in 2017 but not the ensuite.

It's old but don't mind the tiles colour etc but the caninet is really annoying- 1 it has eood underneath and loves moisture, 2nd there is so tight space between shower and cabinet- cleaning issue...

Any suggestions how much it wood cost to replace it and while doing so if worth replacing old shower screens. Like everyone else, budget is imp and what I have read that total bathrrom reno can cost around $20-$25K.

Really like the 1st pic of bathroom @Lacrim posted above...

Some pics (excuse the busy cabinet shelf)

Attached Files:

18. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

For your concerns look at either a recessed base to the vanity (ie in Lacrim’s example) or a floating vanity.
    This should solve your cleaning concerns.

$10k budget I’d expect would be more realistic for a full ensuite reno including full tiles, shower, vanity & toilet replaced but can depend on if you have expensive taste.

Good luck!