Technology & Social Media Any photographers? Need help to find a camera ...p900?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Ardi, 20th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ardi

Ardi Well-Known Member

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice on this thread.

I learnt a little anout camers and most likely overloaded on reviews and technical details. So i ended up buying a smaller Lumix TZ80 for this trip, mostly as i won't have enought time to learn how to use a dslr properly and the p900 is just too big.

Will give this little one a crack and then i will look at a dslr when we return and have done more research and a possibly a course or two.

Hopefully i can get a few reasonable snaps on the trip!

geoffw and EN710 like this.
  2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Happy shooting!! ....uh...hang on.... :p

The Y-man

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

A friend told me you really need to hold the camera in your hands to know which suits you - and I agree. I was shopping for a camera recently - was going to go a DLSR. I held the Canon and they just didn't feel right for me - my finger just wouldn't find the shutter (irony as the SLR I grew up with was the Canon AE-1). The Nikon bodies were much better, but then I picked up a Olympus EM-10 ....and loved it. Yeah it's a micro 4/3 - but it's so light and looks awesome (just like my parent's Olympus form the early 70's!!) .......... and was on a runout special (MkII has just been released) with the standard 14-42mm (28-84mm in film format) pancake lens for about $500

Just bought a Samyang 12mm F2.0 (equiv 24mm in old format) for under $500 to go with it - hoping to do some night shots this weekend....(hope it's clear!)

The Y-man

p.s. I pulled up some photos of the Olympus OM-1 from the 70's - it is amazing what extent Olympus went to to make the OM-D look so retro - including the switch gear and even replicating the film winder as a thumb hold!

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That looks like a nice little camera for the sort of trip you are doing. 30x zoom but able to be popped into your pocket.

If you are buying it before you get away, try to take as many pictures as you can to get the hang of it. Read up on composition and making good photos rather than the technical details. You may need to know some technical info, but you will be able to get some great pictures without too much knowledge. Get to know how to use features like movies or panorama if available- but don't overdo pano. A full pano doesn't get shown properly, to show the full width on a screen it has to be displayed with a low height. But play with it.

Make sure you get a power adapter for the recharger. A travel adapter will suit many countries, but do your research first. A spare battery will be useful- keep it charged and ready. There's nothing worse than missing out on great photos because you're out of juice.

Google photos has a few things which are done automatically. It can stitch together photos to make a panorama; or it can make a moving gif based on several consecutive photos with movement in them. It's done automatically if you upload them to Google Drive.

EN710 likes this.
  5. househuntn

househuntn Well-Known Member

I'd be going genuine battery, or at the very least a reputable 3rd party brand if they exist. Not ebay made in china.

A spare memory card would be good or an extra large capacity card

The Y-man likes this.
  6. geoffw

Good points.

Try to load pictures onto the cloud whenever you can- Google Drive or Dropbox, just in case you lose a camera or memory card.

7. Ardi

Ardi Well-Known Member

Couple of photos from the first two days. Will get some more uploaded when we are back in civilization, trecking with the gorillas tomorrow!

Attached Files:

The Y-man, Touristy and geoffw like this.
  8. househuntn

househuntn Well-Known Member

Really like the composition of the first pic!

9. geoffw

Any more photos? How was the trip? How was the camera?

10. Ardi

Ardi Well-Known Member

Will try and get some up tomorrow. Trip was absolutely unbelievable, would highly recommend it! I was really impressed with the camera, although i mostly just went with the auto 'point and shoot' settings. But cannot get the flash or night shots to work. I really think the camera was a great travel camera especially with the size and the zoom!

11. Ardi

Ardi Well-Known Member

Few more pics......Vic Falls, dinner (best pork crackle ever), croc and finally in Rwanda! Gorilla pics to follow.

Attached Files:

geoffw and The Y-man like this.
  12. Ardi

Ardi Well-Known Member

Gorillas in Rwanda

Attached Files:

The Y-man and geoffw like this.
  13. Ardi

Ardi Well-Known Member

And the last I will put up for now. These are some of the ones I think are a bit better out of the lot.

Attached Files:

The Y-man and geoffw like this.
  14. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

good stuff
    @Ardi

Trying to find a thread on camera and this comes very close!
    I have a Nikon D80 and I want to shoot some junior cricket games for my son's club. I am looking at AF-S 70 - 300 mm F4.5 - F5.6G VR. Now what's the difference between an Australian Warranty and Manufacturer's warranty? Something to do with grey import. I assume all lenses I buy from retail shops are legit. Any retail or online shops that you would recommend? I would like to get the lens before Saturday this week. Thanks!

15. GreatPig

GreatPig Well-Known Member

Australian warranty means the grey importer provides the warranty, not Nikon, and only in Australia. Plus it's usually shorter. From what I've seen, they all use the same warranty service provider, and the reviews of the warranty service weren't good when I looked a few years ago.

I've bought stuff (DSLR+lenses) online from CameraPro in Brisbane - usually a decent price for manufacturer warranty - but my last camera I got cheap through Leederville Cameras in Perth (though that was a good special at the time - never bought anything else there).

If you order online, I very much doubt you'll get it by Saturday though.

16. radson

radson Well-Known Member

yeah, its rare I will present any photo even off my iphone with a spin through lightroom. Crop, highlights, shadows, exposure, vibrancy and clarity normally get a nudge or two. Makes a difference between ordinary and special.