VIC Any Melbourne suburbs you would avoid?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Arecaceae, 13th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Arecaceae

Arecaceae Well-Known Member

It seems that the closer you get to the city, the higher the crime rate. Melbourne City, Collingwood, Fitzroy, Campbellfield, and Docklands have been listed as the least safe areas in Melbourne, despite being rather secure during the day. However, I've heard that further down the train line, the outer suburbs are dangerous and should be avoided.

Any Melbourne suburbs you would avoid?

2. Hamish84

Hamish84 Well-Known Member

The funny thing is, Collingwood and Fitzroy are the most desirable locations to live for the younger set (and some of us oldies), thus represent an excellent investment if buying the right property.

Silverson, MTR and Arecaceae like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

What sort of crime? Murders? Muggins? Burglary?

The Y-man

4. Arecaceae

Arecaceae Well-Known Member

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more! The inner north suburbs of Melbourne, including Brunswick, Coburg, Northcote, Fitzroy North, etc. are highly sought-after areas to live in. They are known for their trendy cafes, bars, and restaurants, making them popular. With the high demand for housing in these suburbs, property values are likely to remain stable or even increase over time, which could lead to significant returns on your investment.

MTR likes this.
  5. 5un5hine

5un5hine Member

Collingwood and Fitzroy are super desirable as above said they're trendy and "cool" heaps of cafes, bars etc heaps of options just outside your door

Docklands is literally all apartments and cambellfield is further out north and a bit of a lower socio area surrounded by tones of industrial areas so not surprised there is high crime, industrial park = large tarmac = burnout city

6. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Collingwood for the win. So you live in the Homeland near the Club

7. JL1

JL1 Well-Known Member

on the theme of north...

Broadmeadows needs a mention. Only place in Melbourne i've felt genuinely unsafe. Once witnessed a group of 12 year olds rob a corner store at 8am on the way to school (in uniform), walk out front and light up cigarettes.

I lived in Reservoir for a short while in the late 2010s. found a meth pipe in the front yard once and a friend had the spotlights stolen off their car when they stayed overnight once. Certainly mindful about locking doors (and even locked up my bike indoors), but didnt ever feel like i was going to get mugged walking around the street.

Abbotsford/North Richmond is an interesting one too. I lived on Victoria road for a while and you see all sorts of drug consumption there, from heroin junkies to italian sports car drivers pulling over for a quick rail of white lightning before speeding off again. Wouldnt raise kids there, but certainly still felt safer than Broadmeadows.

craigc, lixas4, Matt L and 1 other person like this.
  8. Elk_H

Elk_H Active Member

My partner works in the public mental health sector. She was told by peers that Preston/Reservoir catchment has the highest number of 'intense' cases in Melb.

Prior to that, she worked in drugs & alcohol. Victoria St in Abbotsford closer to North Richmond station is quite notorious as mentioned above. Public housing + injection rooms in the area. Can see drug dealers making deals in broad daylight, lots of synergies, and people straight up shooting on the street.... not very nice.

Last edited by a moderator: 7th Apr, 2023
  9. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

i know carlton, collingwood are desirable areas but when ive spent some time in the commission housing areas, ive never felt unsafe, but ive always it as YUCK. Ive seen a lot more police cars there attending to an incident

JL1 likes this.
  10. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

11. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

When I talk to people who live in Melbourne they always tell me to buy on the bayside and avoid the west or north towards Thomastown and Dallas. The east and bayside feels more like Melbourne.
    As a non Melbourne person I like Black burn and Templestowe right now and for less money towards the Mornington Peninsula although Frankston North is still a bit dodgy.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia