Any Melbourne defectors out there?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by JL1, 24th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Looks good, but do you feel lucky

2. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

don't quite get it, lucky we didn't buy? wanted something a little bigger

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Meaning, are you gambling??? With Melb economy and continued shut downs and job losses??? Its very early days

I think protecting capital is far important atm

its just my opinion, and I could be wrong

4. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

And of course with a great tax advisor you can have the option of 6 year absence rule or choice of main residence exemptions.

Regional Vic property could be going to boom given the Melbourne debacle!

Well played sir.

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  5. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Yep. Gone for good - for work and housing affordability reasons. Could never imagine moving back.

JL1 likes this.
  6. TangibleGoodwill

TangibleGoodwill Well-Known Member

Heavily invested in Melbournes west.

Processing Euro passports for the wife and three kids.

Spending a year or so abroad more for the kids life experience. However totalitarian government of late has made the decision easier to make.

JL1, Someguy, Silverson and 1 other person like this.
  7. essendonfan

essendonfan Well-Known Member

We are now 90% in the camp of buying OO in Sydney vs an investment property and future OO in Melbourne. Start of the year it was 85% buying in Melbourne.

Love Melbourne and family, but love the weather, industry, and lifestyle in Sydney.

As others have mentioned, I am very concerned about the Melbourne state government.

Certainly watching from afar and will not be putting money into Victoria, just yet.

Last edited by a moderator: 31st Aug, 2020
    JL1, John_BridgeToBricks and MTR like this.
  8. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

Melbourne is experiencing a cold Covid shower. Once the dust settles it will be important to take note of who exactly made the move(or didn’t).
    I have a family member who works for a bank as a premier banker. I have been getting updates every couple of days of another client preparing to make the move.
    Just like new York and San Fran when the wrong people start leaving you quickly realize just who you need and how much you need them. Highlights how these places were made as great as they are/were.

As other posters have noted, there were moves we were planning on making in a few years from now but current events have sped up the process.

MTR likes this.
  9. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

Just a question for everyone have you seen any ASX listed company move their headquarters away from Melbourne?

The pain in Melbourne is going to be shared Australia wide as once companies start cutting back due to massive drops in profit they are going to cut back Australia wide not just from Melbourne (especially after job keeper wraps up). If anything this last outbreak from Melbourne has proven businesses can run leaner because they have to and COVID is the perfect storm that allows owners to restructure business (not goof for employees)

10. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Why specifically ASX?
    I worked for a company listed on the TYO and no signs of moving the Aussie HQ. The better half works for a company listed on the FWB - again no signs of moving.

I hope Orica and Coles stay put - I have money in them HQ buildings!

The Y-man

11. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

I fully relocated to Melbourne end of June renting my Brisbane property to family, did 4 weeks down there and came back as lock down kicked in. 2 weeks in a hotel but at least it’s free to roam up here

All my stuff is down there so will go back soon, it’s just a matter of when as Mr Andrews is really screwing the place and seems to be doing as he pleases and not listening to experts

12. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

Just saying ASX as don't want people to say their Uncles business HQ has moved to Brisbane due to second wave in Melbourne. No ASX company during reporting season has mentioned anything like this from what I have read

Melbourne's demise relative to other cities I think has been overstated. Look at the rich list and the up and companies on the rise (Afterpay, Zip, Kogan, Airtasker, Pro-medicus, Canva,Wisetech, Envato) are mainly head quartered and have founders coming from Sydney 1st and Melbourne 2nd.

I can see Sydney making small gains over Melbourne out of this but for all those buying in regionals and other cities outside Melbourne and Sydney I think the top paying jobs (Talking top bracket jobs outside of mining) will still be found in Sydney and Melbourne

13. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Well we know one company famously headquartered in Brisbane which is in a bit of financial strife - not sure what is going to happen with the lease.... (owned by ASX:CLW areit)

The Y-man

14. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

With the greatest respect to all posters I think this is a bit of an exaggeration. Melbourne, and Victoria as a whole, will recover. How long that takes I'm not too sure but I'm confident we will get through this.

Gockie, abc, Bunbury and 3 others like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am glad you are optimistic about this, but the virus comes back. No guarantees where and when

Last edited: 31st Aug, 2020
  16. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

This makes zero sense. All Sydney or Brisbane or anyone needs are a few loose canons and they're all in the same boat as Melbourne. Why would you escape one city and all the trouble it entails if the odds of it happening elsewhere are either identical, or only lower by the smallest possible margin?

That being said, a lot of investing and life choices in general are not rational, so maybe this will push a lot of people out. Who knows.

wylie likes this.
  17. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

One name, Daniel Andrews. Not that Brisbane's premier is any better.

I totally agree with you and of course this will all pass, things will go back to normality some what. Humans have short memories and are often reactive.

I am surprised though id say 90% of the people I spoke to in the first 4 weeks of relocating thought I was mad for moving from Brisbane to Melbourne. Not because of Covid but more because of lifestyle, weather, and the fast rat race feel that Melbourne was quickly becoming. Many like that of course but I think more and more people are figuring out the sun, relaxed lifestyle, and substantial housing you can get for less $$ takes the cake over a slightly better coffee and restaurants

MikeyBallarat and craigc like this.
  18. jaybean

I remember during the bush fires a friend's wife was ******** on Morrison and I said during the time in a few months she'll have forgotten what she was even upset about.

I was right. She's moved onto complaining about a completely different set of things now lol

Codie likes this.
  19. jaybean

All you need are a few strays and it's the same everywhere else. It's a virus that only requires a few to get things started again. If you're renting and have no kids sure what's the big deal. But if you're having to sell and buy in another city it assumes the other cities have a much lower chance of being hit by a second wave. That's not a gamble I would be willing to make for all the trouble it would take to sell / buy and relocate the kids, find new schools etc.

The premier though yes I can see that. But it also assumes the others are that much more competent. I would disagree with that.

Last edited by a moderator: 1st Sep, 2020
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

You also have option if you own home in Melb to rent it out. Would never sell until certain its suits

Last edited by a moderator: 1st Sep, 2020