Any idea of the cost to move a gas meter 2m in Brisbane?

Discussion in 'Development' started by wylie, 25th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've made several calls today to price up different costs we will face to lift/shift a house. One thing I cannot get on the phone is a ballpark figure to move a gas meter about two metres from its current position. The gas company said these jobs are quoted on site and she couldn't tell me whether it might be $1K or $20K without having a site visit.

It is too early for that, and I'm just wanting a ballpark idea of what this could cost.

Has anybody done this in Brisbane and willing to give me an idea of what it cost them?

I'm adding different figures as I go to help anybody else here in this thread -

https://propertychat.com.au/community/threads/how-much-would-it-cost.4138/#post-69244

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

About $100 :p

JacM likes this.
  3. wylie

Do I get a candy bar and a new compact car as well? :p

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Only if you pay the $100. (it must be silly Friday)

5. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

you would think if it's just 2m it'd be around $1k. i mean the copper/gal pipe is what like 300-500mm below ground level.

6. wylie

I would hope it won't cost much, but once you are forced to only one person who can do it, you lose some power... see what I did there? :p

Power company prices were ok. I just was a bit annoyed that I couldn't get any sort of "ballpark" prices for the gas meter move from the person I spoke with. She gave me the number for the gas connection people but said they won't give prices without being on site. I just want to know if it is $1K or $5K. Close enough is good enough to add to my budget.

7. wylie

Just called the people who organise the site visit. She was most unhelpful (in a helpful way, if that makes sense). She said they can give me nothing without a site visit. I said I thought I might be able to get an idea of whether it would be $1K or $10K and she just said "no, sorry, no idea, cannot give you any idea".

I'm sorry that that is just rubbish. Anyway, if anybody can give me an idea (no... Proportunity, NOT you :p) then I'd appreciate it. How ridiculous!!!

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@wylie arrhhhhh yes....the joys of price finding....:D

btw...after seeing your handle image so many times.. i picture you with nice red cheeks now...:D

Last edited: 25th Sep, 2015
  9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I rang the has supplier once and wanted to find out if my street was likely to get a main put in anytime soon or how I get the ball rolling. The lady had no idea what I was talking about and kept saying she would need to arrange someone to quote a connection for me. I told her several times there was nothing in the street to connect to. In the end I agreed and with whatever she said. A week or so later after I have up that mission I got a quote for some astronomical amount >$50k to connect the gas! Some nutbag did a quote to run a line a few Streets away to my place. Good to see all those bills are well spent!

I think your safe to say under $2k in your case.
    Say it's a day job for plumber and sidekick, say both @ $100/hr x 8hrs
    Some pipe, perhaps a new meter worst case $500
    Round up to $2k worst case

10. wylie

Thanks bob shovel. I also cannot see it being too high but to not be able to get any idea at all is crazy.

11. headsonbeds

headsonbeds Well-Known Member

Had one moved around 5 metres for around $1500. They had to do a full new pipe from the main for that. They subsidise they cost as you'll pay it back using the gas.

They can run a new plastic pipe down the old steel one sometimes otherwise they use a digless pipe layer. I can see why it's hard to quote as they may need to upgrade pipe, metre to new standards and run back to the mains.

12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Good point @headdonbeds

Do you know what side of the street the main is on?

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.