any honest feedback renting your property to people from the middle east

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Rockstar123, 12th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Rockstar123

Rockstar123 Active Member

Can someone provide some honest feedback on renting your property to people from a different culture like the middle east. are they fantastic tenants? tidy and look after your place? I ask because I don't know their culture very well. :)

many thanks

2. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

It shouldn’t be a factor. For some suburbs it’s likely you’ll get tenants of a certain ethnicity.

If their food ends up sticking to the walls or there’s damage, dock their bond at the end of their lease to hire a professional cleaner.

balwoges, Dan Wood, TSK and 2 others like this.
  3. Rockstar123

thank you :) I guess my worry is the bond doesn't cover my expensive fittings and appliances. So I thought I better check, if other landlords could give me some feedback. thanks

4. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Being a property manager for a few years now, I can tell you there are both ends of the scale and in between from all cultures/races/age groups/demographics etc. Also, the best applicants on paper can turn out to be the worst tenants, and the high-risk applicants on paper can turn out to be great tenants. At the end of the day, the RTRA Act says the only criteria an application can be judged on are the ability to pay the rent and maintain the property, the Lessor/Agent should be blind to anything else to avoid discriminating. I can tell you I have been wrong on many occasion where my personal thoughts would say no but following the guidelines I say yes and they have been perfect, so it just goes to show, and vice-versa of course no doubt. As a Lessor you should ensure your tenancy documentation is done right and no mistakes, with adequate special terms and conditions, backstopped by a landlords insurance policy worth its weight, and thorough date & time stamped photos accompanying entry, routine and exit reports, to protect your asset.

5. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

I have had tenants from all over the world, one of my houses attracts new potential Australians. I’ve had refugees as well. People from NZ, Iraq, Philippines, India. No problems with any of them. Rent always paid on time or early.

Edited to add that I agree with the previous and where the potential tenant comes from shouldn’t be a factor in your decision.

Perp, EN710 and Rockstar123 like this.
  6. Rockstar123

Thank you! that's excellent to know. Could you recommend some Landlord insurance in your opinion are reliable when it comes to claims? I have so far looked at racv insurance, find the rest of providers to be overwhelmingly confusing. Would love to hear recommendations.

I understand you tend to find good/bad tenants all over the world but just thought its safe to check in case certain culture background has more of issue than others, or certain culture are more of a hygine freaks than others. :)

are there way to identify a potential bad tenant on paper? (Say they have good reference?) LOL, sorry I'm just looking for ways to protect myself, to avoid regrets later. I believe my leasing doc is good, I mean, what else would I know? I'm not a professional agent.
    Cheers

7. Rockstar123

Thank you! I think their prev track record is more important IMO, however others have told me that their "good tenant" left their places in a mess. So am a bit worried. and not sure how to spot these signs beforehand.

8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Are you using a property manager or self managing?

Best way to protect yourself is to employ a professional to take care of it for you, and then make sure you have good insurance.

craigc, Gladys and Michael Mitchell like this.
  9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yeah, well that wont work, I know first hand how many thousands some people can cost, but I would look at each tenant on the merits, I have no particular concerns from the Mid East.

I have had cooking absolutely ruin and cause a lot of damage, as well as people not so up with how things are done here.....

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

My Muslim tenants rank as the nicest, cleanest, respectable and trouble free people!
    Really just the best. Note, I’ve had no issues with tenants of any ethnic background, I’ve had great Chinese and Indian tenants too.

My 3 problematic tenants have been Aussie born and raised ones, but currently I have a good set of (what I think are) Aussie tenants in a property.

Perp likes this.
  11. neK

neK Well-Known Member

There are good and bad people.
    Race or religion plays no part.

My usual questions to the Property Manager:

1. Were they rude or disrepectful to you, the property, or people around them?

2. Do they smell?

As long as they pass these two questions, then it’s worth progressing to the next stage :)

craigc, spludgey, Dan Wood and 2 others like this.
  12. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

A question to ask is how many people are going to be living there. Those that are newer to oz around here are known to cram a few more people in.

13. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I have to wonder why or even who looks into what religion or where somone who applies was born....

The things you need to know are neither of these when looking for suitable tenants.

14. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Don't be so precious.
    If you have to worry about expensive fittings and appliances that means you over capitalised.
    If what you put in fits the area, then dont be worried about the tenants, the ones that can afford it will most likely look after it - because in order to earn that level of money, one would need to understand the basic concept of cause and effect ie if i stuff it up, im gonna have to pay for it.

qak, The Y-man, Perp and 1 other person like this.
  15. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Yes there are. Cultural background is not one of them.

- Luke

spludgey and Arnel like this.
  16. Rockstar123

we are using PM, its a new one, so doing a bit of checking myself as our last one wasn't responsible. I wouldn't self manage, time poor and don't know enough.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  17. Rockstar123

partially true. :) however not over capitalised, just moved out of your last family house. Yes if we knew we are going to rent it out earlier, we wouldn't have, its a bit later to say over capitalised. Just need to find some nice.

18. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Really hope you are not assuming different cultural background based on surnames.

19. Rockstar123

that's a brilliant point, I have actually never thought about it before. I'm sure it a learning curve for all landlord to find THAT good tenant. :)

20. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Are these Muslims from the middle east or Indonesia?