Education & Work Any female tradies here?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Ems, 26th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I also experience the same thing- clients at first assume and are worried that I won’t know how to do my job, but once I start talking they get a shock when I can explain he ins and outs of what is causing their problem and how to fix it etc. I’ve only ever had one old man who was really rude and told me he wanted a “tradesman” to come out to look not just a girl! Having said I don’t do any of the labour, just diagnosing, measuring and quoting. I would be nervous if I had to physically work as I know that some clients would watch me like a hawk, though my hubby has clients who love to watch too so it happens to the men too.

2. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

If you work for a respectful boss which I would imagine the majority would be then you wouldn’t experience it, as they would make sure you don’t. I think you’d be fine as most apprentices work only alongside their boss as a two man (or woman!) team.
    Majority of clients would be impressed and you will find that you will hear things like “it’s great to see a woman doing this, or “you never used to see this” etc. most people will be surprised but in a positive way. I wouldn’t want to do builders work though as you would be around smart ass tradies who would give you crap to show off in front of their workmates. I’d look for an employer who mainly does private local work but not builders jobs.

3. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I've worked with a lot of tradies, and traditionally male environments, for want of a better word. Some people might give you grief, but I've had more grief with other females in female dominated environments. Electricians tend to be the more charming tradies anyway. The world's changed a lot in the last ten to fifteen years. It was much harder ten plus years ago.

If you want men to respect you, then work hard and treat them with respect. That's it. I worked at a logistics firm (first female there) and got more done in three days than the bloke I temp-ed for did for "three months". They tend to respect that.

4. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I'd also say have your wits about you, there's dodgy people in any environment. I've met young women who were naive and protected them from themselves.

If you want to give another career a go, it's a risk, and it's not easy. I'd still go for it.

At least you do not wake up one day and wish you had the "courage of your convictions".

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Eldest daughter is a shopfitter. She won several apprentice of the year awards. She loved the work at first, but found that when out on-site, some of the older blokes gave her a hard time, & all job satisfaction went out the window.

6. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Among trades I think electrician is the best since it is needs qualifications and licences and untrained/unlicensed operators usually will not risk fines and or jail if they do dodgy work that causes harm.

The reason apprentices accept low wages is that after qualifying they can achieve above average salaries. When I was young there were apprentice painters, who once qualified, could look forward to a good wage. Now anyone who needs a job advertises that they are a painter and undercut the truly qualified painter but a large margin, maybe 50% or more cheaper. They get work because most people now are willing to accept a lower quality job since they are often renovating to flip anyway and the cheaper the price to paint a property the better.

So going back to the electrician, in economic terms this trade has a high barrier to entry and as such has a more secure future for salary guarantee. It is also less arduous compared to some other trades and less chance of back injuries etc.

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

No I don't think your crazy doing a trade ,a lot of Ladies are lic plumbers now days and fix the same problems as any male plumber -so the gender difference is no longer there..
    The only problem would be finding someone to employ you ,but a least I don't think any ai non tax paying robot will replace several trades people in my lifetime,but I could be wrong..

Angel likes this.
  8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

My husband wanted to retrain as a builder when he was in this 30s but at the time, the age cut off was still 20something. We complained to the Govt, the law has since been changed.

Go for it!

9. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I dunno, I'm similar age and I don't consider myself a woman or lady!

The chorus of this song always pops into my head when I think about this... :D

10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

My daughter is studying construction management and is working part time in the industry.

She sometimes finds the sexist attitude and comments very difficult to take, especially when they come from a superior. There's no avenue out.

She is doing a thesis on the employment of women, and the difficulties they face, in the construction industry.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  11. boeman

boeman Well-Known Member

I think there are a lot of unfounded fears on here about women in a trade or on a building site.

Honestly, there are quite a few women now in trades. 50% of painting teams tend to have females. Landscaping also seems popular. I see at least one female a week on sites and its increasing each year. Building isnt as rough as what it was, the older boys are retiring and the next generation who are more liberal are taking over. Building in general, regardless of gender/race/religion requires a thicker skin, but no more than other male dominated industries. Go for an apprenticeship through a body like HIA etc and you will be looked after, I guarantee it.

Stick up for yourself in life in all facets, use the doubters as fuel to your fire.

12. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I was looking for an internal position at CBA. In one position, the male hiring manager asked me how old I was. I relayed that I got this question to my current boss at the time.

The question is not allowed however I heard from a colleague that it was because he already has a lot of female staff already needing a lot of flexibility (work at home etc) because they all have kids.

So unfortunately, females will encounter sexism (subtle and not subtle) everywhere. However, in this day and age, dads should shoulder the responsibility of kids too. So often it's the mother who ends up having to take time off work for sick kids, fathers don't seem to take so much time off work for sick kids.

geoffw likes this.
  14. Gockie

Look at this group. SALT!
    They are all about getting more women into trades. All not for profit, very affordable. They'll tour schools and do workshops there too. And workshops all over the place. This "women's shed" is at Quakers Hill Sydney.

20181112_204419.jpg 20181112_205700.jpg 20181111_160448.jpg

Dan Donoghue, Shahin_Afarin and EN710 like this.
  15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Where's your dovetails?

Although I like the glasses half-full

16. Gockie

Dovetails will be another class! :)

Angel likes this.
  17. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

Your 1st day at TAFE will be at the start of 2019
    if you haven't started to find an employer yet
    your probably not proactive enough to take on a trade

Just say'n

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia