Any downside of a 5% deposit for auction

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Ouchmyknees, 23rd Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

I read it somewhere on PC about putting down a 5% deposit instead of 10% after winning the auction.

I think it has obvious benefits such as 5% gets to stay in my offset longer rather than goes to the agent’s trust account.

Also if it appears that we are struggling with funds, the agent probably won’t negotiate too hard with us if the property was passed in.

Another benefit I can think of is that if we asked the agent whether we can do 5% deposit and the agent rejected, it suggests that there are a lot of interested parties so the agent doesn’t care if we bid or not.

Any thoughts on this? What’s the downside of asking the agent for a 5% deposit for auction?

2. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

No, its becoming quite common .

Ouchmyknees and Propertunity like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

No downside if it makes it easier for the agent ie more punters they will do it

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Yes we see this a lot.

Don't ask the agent. Get your solicitor to ask the vendor's solicitors.

Last edited: 23rd Nov, 2016
    JacM and Ouchmyknees like this.
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

Why even 5%? I offered a $10,000 deposit and it was accepted.

Why?

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You want a formal acceptance to an amendment to a contract term.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    Propertunity and Ouchmyknees like this.
  7. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your help! Guest how much was the property for which the 10k deposit was accepted?

8. Guest

Guest Guest

From memory I had something in writing prior to bidding, deposit terms can be written on the contract when signing.

$300k+. A $10k deposit may not be enough for Melbourne/Sydney prices, but point is even less than 5% may be fine. Depends on interest at auction, agent and vendor... can only ask :)

9. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

Wait how does this work? If you win at auction and go in to negotiate 5% but the vendor doesn’t accept and you don’t have 10%?

Or do you negotiate with agent before auction and say you will only bid if 5% deposit is accepted?

10. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

You have to negotiate the 5% deposit or any other changes you want to the contract BEFORE the auction, otherwise you are accepting the contract T&Cs as they stand.

JacM, Jennifer Duke and zed_kid like this.
  11. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes as above, all before the auction. When reading out the conditions at the start of the auction the auctioneer will say something along the lines of "10% deposit will be required, unless other arrangements have been negotiated with the vendor/agreed prior".

zed_kid and Propertunity like this.
  12. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

As a bidder 5% sounds attractive

13. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

I always ask for a 5% deposit including for auctions. This way I keep more of my cash in my accounts for longer.

For properties that are going to auction and that I am keen to purchase, this is all negotiated via my solicitor so all terms and conditions are noted. The vendor then knows that we're serious.

I also like to ask for extended settlement (90+ days) with early access to the property(s).

14. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

You can request anything you want to prior to auction, it is up to them to approve it or not. Things like settlement and deposits are quite easy, something like STB&P will pretty much be declined.

For the deposit the REA will rarely have the deposit less than their cost (including marketing). If their cost is 15k it will be unlikely you will get it for 10 - 15k but 20k and they will be more okay with. Typically 5% is easy to get however the closer you get to 1% the harder it is to be approved.

If the property passes in you can negotiate it all again.