Sports & Fitness Any divers floating around?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Blacky, 3rd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Ok - I know there are few who enjoy the odd dive here and there.

Im talking mostly scuba diving here, as it is more common in the Australian community. I have logged several thousand dives and even more remain unlogged. Having worked as a professional diver for a while I racked up some serious underwater hours.
    I haven't had a tank on my back for a good number of years now though. I shed the tank and moved to free diving and can now dive deeper, for longer holding my breath than with a tank.

I dive mostly for the enjoyment of it, and have dived in several places around the world. However, it is still hard to beat Australian diving conditions.
    I also enjoy being able to select what seafood I want for dinner, and go and get it - basically for free.

And having worked in banks for a number of years I am well used to dealing with sharks. The ones in the ocean are harmless in comparison. :eek:

Blacky

Harro likes this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

3. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Lol - pretty sure he's actually on holidays diving right now.

4. Harro

Harro Well-Known Member

My wife and I are off to Agnes Lodge on Munda Island in the Solomons early August. Quite a remote location, but the diving is good and WARM waters! We have been every second year since 2005. It's not 5 star, but we simply love the isolation and friendly local hospitality.

Blacky likes this.
  5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Posting from a hotel in Vanuatu. Doing a week of diving on the President Cool lage. Was a 1930s cruise ship converted to a troop carrier. Amazing wreck.

I do quite a lot of tech diving in Bas Strait.

Agreed the sharks in the ocean are far less dangerous than those in banks.

Blacky likes this.
  6. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Used to dive for a living also, gave it away when one of the guys I started working with was getting shadows on his bones in the annual x-rays; luckily I never even had the niggles, though have been overboard on Oxygen in the middle of the night because someone else had

Enjoyed it immensely whilst I was doing it

7. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Hi Pete

Try to organise "The Galley" or "Doctors Office" dive, both push he envelope a bit but are fantastic dives.

8. No Probs

No Probs Well-Known Member

I'm new to diving, did a course through work earlier this year where I conducted 50 or so dives. I've only done 3 recreational dives since - it's way to cold in the drink at the moment!

9. Peter_Tersteeg

Did the Doctors office (45m) yesterday. The Galley (55m) today. Was a little narc'ed at 55m but not sevearly. The rest of it was quite straight forward.

Tomorrow, the Gauntlet. Start at the stern (65m), swimming up through the wreck and exiting from the chain locker at 20m. Should be a challenge but we do this type of thing fairly frequently so it shouldn't be a problem. I'm expecting a 2 hour dive time, most of it spent off gassing in the shallows.

10. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I like the thread title.

Oxymoron :p

pinkboy

11. Peter_Tersteeg

Not really. Divers do float, it's just not on the surface. The idea is to control your boyancy. :confused: