Travel & Holidays Any been fishing in NewZealand South Island..

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by willair, 14th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just wondering if anyone has been fishing in the Queenstown Lake areas,we are on our way over there late next month,i,m not into the helicopter into some lost fishing spot for 2k per day,the only tour so far is a Kiwi gentleman comes in the morning picks one up from the hotel one hour drive then they show you around the village farm then fish the streams within their lands,plus drinks and wild food,for 150 kiwi dollars it's value..

MTR likes this.
  2. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Fishing in Queenstown in August?

It'll be frozen...
    let it goooooo ;)

3. willair

Bit late for that,already booked and paid for the trip ,plus the Wife wants to go there just for the snow,i might have stuffed up with weather..

MTR likes this.
  4. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Get travel insurance to cover the cancelation costs.

5. willair

Have all that in place,was going to hire a motor home but once you read the fine print most places I wanted to go into were not covered by the motor home insurance,just better to get a hotel as a base then do what ever you want,plus us dollars into kiwi dollars will cover the breakfast costs..

6. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Make sure you do the chairlift up to the top of the mountain right behind the township.

If you are feeling really adventurous, and have a fee day; do the "Awesome Foursome" - contact AJ Hacketts and ask them about it....Helicopter ride, followed by Bungee off Clipper's Canyon bridge (300 feet), then shotover jet boat, then white water rafting - a whole day of fear!!

7. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

And loathing.

8. norwoodman

norwoodman Well-Known Member

I suggest a good pair of skis and gear as an alternative - Coronet Peak and The Remarkables are truly remarkable. :)

9. willair

Thanks we intend to do that can't be any different then sliding down a wet roof,and thinking as long as I grap the gutter I'm safe..

10. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

How did you get on Willair?

Just back, caught quite a few Chinook Salmon 1-2kg range in Lake Wakitipu from a boat using soft plastics, about half sashimi and half on the bbq :) Saw a few big Browns crusing on the shore line at the Queenstown wharf too, but had a beer in hand rather than a rod

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

not location:)

12. 4point5million

4point5million Well-Known Member

I grew up in South Island NZ and used to hunt and fish quite often in isolated areas

One week we travelled miles out to this lake right in the middle of nowhere, completely off the radar in fact, deep down south and while we were out one night spotlighting for possums by the lakes edge by boat, we travelled across this river mouth and I kid you not the whole lake/river mouth was moving with hundreds of fish (trout). Never seen anything like it. Not sure what it's like now but this was going back 15 years. Was quite a phenomenon

13. willair

Yes i saw those big browns around the water taxi drop off at Queenstown ,big fish also saw a few seagulls with one leg so those fish bite anything,caught several small trout just up from H ilton Hotel we were staying at ,just use to walk up and use a private jetty that the people who owned the jetty who would come into the hotel for dinner and drinks at the hotel each night and let me use the locked jetty when ever i wanted,New-Zealand money wise and safety and all the different people for a month is a good place and we are going back,but not in the winter ..

14. willair

Just a hotel 15 minutes drive outside Queenstown ,built on the property that the first man to settle in Queenstown lived on,still had a few of the old small stone building on the property
    lake front,stunning area..

MTR likes this.