Any bad stories with renting out Granny flat?

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by striple, 26th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. qak

qak Well-Known Member

2. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Granny flats where you have to walk up someones 3m driveway past the front house to accss a flat in the backyard is the pits. It creates a slummish environment and looks terrible completely looks out of place and ruins the front house.

Only see them working on a corner, side by side like a duplex or at a rear lane facing the lane street.

3. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

For a PPR there are punitive income tax and CGT consequences, same as if you have a boarder in the house. Not so bad if you intend to turn it into an investment, but those plans are often pushed out.

You can request payment in cash - but you forever risk the cold hand of the tax man on your shoulder

4. goodtimes

goodtimes Well-Known Member

I enjoyed living in a granny flat in my late 20's. Wasn't fenced off. Was extra cash for the family and the right fit for me - plenty of parking and I rented extra shed space. I enjoyed having extra space and no neighbours vs an apartment. They had kids who would come and chew my ear off but that's all good.

5. AlbertWT

AlbertWT Well-Known Member

Does it mean that you will need to apply for some sort of DA or separate address numbering when renting out Granny Flat with Real Estate agent?

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I thought I read somewhere (a while back though) that in Victoria if you want a separate letterbox (i.e. "address") essentially it becomes a duplex and not a granny flat.... but I'll defer to somoene more knowledgeable, or better still, check the official channels..

The Y-man

7. AlbertWT

AlbertWT Well-Known Member

Yes, that does make sense.
    I'm keen to hear from the experts as well.

Thanks for responding mate.