Any bad stories with renting out Granny flat?

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by striple, 26th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. striple

striple Well-Known Member

Hi all,

We're about to buy our new house which has granny flat already built... I want to fence it off and rent it out to get additional income to pay towards mortgage... My wife disagrees and wants to leave it vacant as we have 2 young kids and she doesn't want strangers in our backyard...

Trying to gauge people's experience with regards to renting out granny flat and living in main residence... I thought if the agent does his job, we can find tenants that suite us

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Regardless of anything else, I think you need to listen to your wife. When we had young children, no way would I have wanted someone living so close with access to kids playing in the yard. An agent can do his/her job, but who's going to fess up that they might be a danger to you or your kids?

AlbertWT likes this.
  3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'll play devils advocate.
    If you were living in a townhouse or villa complex you could potentially have strangers/neighbours just as close to your kids and possible be ok about it.
    Has it been built in such a way that it can be separated off so there aren't people walking through your area to reach it?
    Is there sufficient space to fence it off and allow for privacy?
    Why have you chosen to buy something with a GF if you aren't comfortable with renting it out?

4. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Maybe compromise and use it as an Airbnb for short term rentals?

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Also make sure you are meeting any council/legal requirements.

The Y-man

6. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I rent mine out to a friend, for cash, works really well.

7. The Y-man

8. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

I have heard more bad stories for not renting granny particularly on expenses side.

As westminster suggested, you could live in a villa and end up in same situation.

Rather do your due diligence, chose right tenants, put up a fence. Or don't do it at all and not regret extra cash flow.

Btw, why buy such a house in the first place?

Regards
    Ashish

9. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I have lived long term (7 years and 16) in two properties with rental accommodation on site and no fences. I had people living in the flats that whole time - from when my kids were babies. There are still people living onsite, though it's through Airbnb now.
    If you can afford to own the house without renting out the flat, I would proceed with the purchase. Then you just wait for the right person to come along. That will happen. We had relatives living in them, single female artists, young couples, a retired woman for a long time. It worked well.
    Scott

Propertunity, wylie and hobo like this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I agree with others that if you have good separation then it is no worse than living next door to someone who poses a risk to your children. We don't know what we don't know.

It is often those we trust who can do the most harm. Predators are very good at putting your mind at ease, grooming the child.

All I'm saying is listen to your wife, listen to your (or her) gut.

With complete separation and fencing, they can be as safe as they would be with a neighbour. And of course, there are those who say parents worry too much. But once you've been a victim, you tend to look at risks differently.

11. AhmadA

AhmadA New Member

I have a granny flat in my backyard. Rented to a young couple. I barely see them for months on end. I don't have children so not something I can personally comment on but agree with others. Separate it properly and it'll just be like having neighbours ( which you have less control over then your granny flat).

Great having people help pay your mortgage.

robboat and Archaon like this.
  12. striple

Thanks for replies... I agree if fenced off it's no different to having next door neighbour... We bought house with granny flat for a few reasons... If we every move we can rent out both, if the in laws can no longer look after themselves they can move in... We're in no rush to make a decision but it would be good to have extra income to pay mortgage off quicker

13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

One of the reasons we bought our previous PPOR was because it had 2 x 3 bed homes on the one block, so a similar situation. Just make sure it is fenced & treat it like any other neighbour. It's no big deal & the income does wonders to help pay down the mortgage.

A tip though.....

Originally we planned to not tell anyone (tenants etc) that we owned the second home, although it was behind the PPOR, it was a battle-axe situation. Well, obviously neighbours talk, and the tenants knew straight away, and we'd even get people (undesirable) knocking on our door between tenancies wanting to know if they could rent the second home. Note, we lived in an area with a high amount of Centrelink customers at the time.

We let tenants & those wanting to be tenants know that they needed to contact the Real Estate Agents for anything. For those that didn't want to, or didn't understand why they needed to do this, I told them that I had a contract with the Real Estate Agent which meant that I had no control over tenant selection, but I was sure they would have no issues with them. Then I'd immediately call the Agent & let them know that a certain undesirable was on their way.

AlbertWT and goodtimes like this.
  14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

In four years, we've only had minor issues with one tenant. One was occasional extremely loud nocturnal activity noises. Then, with the same tenant, a huge fight which led us to calling police. He actually went to jail for parole violation, she broke the lease for domestic abuse - she was scared of him coming back once out.

15. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Another tip, if you're looking at building one, best not to let your neighbours know your intentions.
    People get a bit funny when they realise the property is going to be a rental. I stick with the story that I'm going to move in and I'm building a granny flat for the in laws to move in.

16. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Agree - but also think that neighbours hate granny flats full stop. Different as this one is already built so hopefully most of that pain is over.

As for having a rented one at your PPOR, I'd agree that it all depends on separation and privacy.
    It has either been done well for this or it hasn't - trees and fences can only help so much.

17. striple

Thanks all... Had another discussion with my with my wife last night. Explained if we fenced off, it'll be no different to having neighbours and extra income would come in handy... Yeah we don't plan on letting renters know we own the place... Honestly do want to communicate with them at all...

Now just got to work out best way to fence it off so we have privacy.

18. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@striple
    Post a plan. Always good to get multiple opinions

19. The Y-man

Better make sure the landlord's name is not yours then! Remember you have a shared mailbox.

The Y-man

AlbertWT likes this.
  20. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

They will work out you are the owners.
    I'm pretty sociable and have always enjoyed the people we have shared our backyards with. Right now, we have a sound artist from New York staying out the back. She and my wife have collaborated on one project and are in the middle of another. We've had lots of interesting people over the years and many we are still in contact with.

thatbum likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.