Anticipating the China problem

Discussion in 'Politics' started by timetoact, 4th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

News said he apologised.

Mulianto likes this.
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Part of the issue is that nobody pushed back on China when it first started doing this kind of stuff in the Spratleys. All the countries noticed, and commented on it, but nobody actually stood up to them.

Brickbybrick, qak and Lizzie like this.
  4. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I think
    The Spratleys should be blockaded.
    They are like the Czechoslovakia that Hitler took unapposed

skater likes this.
  5. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

Outright war should be avoided at all costs but I can see a lot more grey warfare in the future. China has a lot of friends and countries that owe them now, so economic sanctions from the West might not actually matter as much as we'd like to believe.

They already hit Australia weekly with cyber attacks and their ally, Russia, funnelled money to the Taliban to kill US troops in Afghanistan. This is all open source information so makes me wonder how much more is going on behind the scenes.

I think the only way out of it is to dramatically increase the coalitions military capability, so that any conflict looks too costly and also start to mend relations with China's newly found allies.

6. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Russia, funnelled money to the Taliban to kill US troops in Afghanistan
    Maybe USA should of mind their own business? Oh wait they can't because they are the super power No.1 and must fund the Soviet Afghanistan War
    Tit for Tat round and round.:rolleyes:

Northy85 likes this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt we'll ever end up with open warfare - it'll be cyber, trade, moving of military equipment, funding terrorism, hacking elections and basically "behind the scenes" guerrilla stuff

On an interesting note about "super powers" - apparently the most powerful airforce in the world is the US Airforce - second most power is the US Navy - and the US military is bigger than China, Russia and all of Europe combined ... that's why it'll be a lot of sabre rattling for the sake of perception on the home front from the "near peers" (China/Russia), but not outright confrontation

Northy85 likes this.
  8. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

Totally agree, and probably some proxy wars like during the cold war too.

Lizzie likes this.
  9. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who can see this?
    When was the last time Russia or China send their ships to USA front coast ocean?
    Please someone in the know tell me?

10. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

Your reply implies that China and Russia are not militarily aggressive. Although they haven't sent ships to the US - a metric that doesn't really mean much considering China has only recently been able to build a ship - both countries are hyper aggressive, militaristic and regionally territorially ambitious.

Russia have a significant military presence on the border of Ukraine.
    Russia invaded Georgia over 10 years ago.
    The Soviet Union invaded and took control over much of Eastern Europe during the 20th century.

China has amassed military including possible nukes in the Fujian province all directed at Taiwan.
    China has amassed military, including ships, in the South China Sea and are regularly engaged in skirmishes with other nation's over the waters within there.
    China have a huge military presence bordering North Korea.
    China has amassed military and is regularly fighting with Indian soldiers over border disputes
    China invaded Xinjiang, Tibet and Inner Mongolia after the 1949 revolution and continue to maintain control over the regions including mass importation of ethnic Han Chinese to dilute the ethnic populations of these regions.
    China went to war with Vietnam after the CCP took over for territorial claims.
    In some circles in China, Okinawa is thought to be Chinese territory.

11. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

I think any country who has half a brain would put their military on the border closer to action.
    As long as it is their border - I can see this is a logical choice if I am going to play the MR. Military chess game in case someone tries anything brave.

12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Up to no good again.
    https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceani...gic-kiribati-airstrip-mp-20210505-p57p8o.html

Last edited: 5th May, 2021
  13. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

China has the One Belt, One Road initiative. US has the Bomb and Rob initiative.

propinvest888 and Mulianto like this.
  14. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

That literally floored me hard.
    I’m in stitches rolling on my floor.

Brickbybrick likes this.
  15. Traveller99

16. skater

skater Well-Known Member

17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

18. Traveller99

From the article. Much of this:

"Basically, it shows China has run out of ammunition," he said. "By going ‘thermonuclear' on trade in 2020, they now have no substantive ways to punish Australia any more, and have to scrap around for impact-free acts of pure symbolism."

It was only 10 or so years ago when an international incident occurred, the CCP would claim the "feelings of the Chinese people had been hurt". They're much more brash and powerful these days, yet still behave like a spoiled toddler when they don't get their way.

The two cultures are clashing because they have no idea about the other.

Lizzie likes this.
  19. Traveller99

As you'll very rarely get names put against comments made by CCP officials - particularly high ranking officials who only comment in official, staged settings - the only way the rest of the world can get an insight into the murky world that is Chinese politics is to read the Global Times and watch talk show host, Yang Rui. Yang Rui is an absolute doozy. He speaks for the CCP when he interviews and does it all in English.

20. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member