Anti-Development theme being pushed by Labor candidates for BCC Election

Discussion in 'Development' started by RPI, 19th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Brisbane council election: Car parks central in seven-point planning pledge

The Labor lord mayoral candidate is pushing an anti-development agenda.

Carparking numbers can often be the restricting factor in the number of units developed on low-medium development sites. Increasing the carparking requirements will lead to a reduction in the number of units/townhouses on a site which will increase prices of new units/townhouses.

Brisbane is a capital city with decent levels of population growth, which we need to accommodate. All this NIMBY stuff needs to stop.

Bran likes this.
  2. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

@RPI local residents have the final say about their own community and own areas. At the end of the day, the Mayor has one vote like everyone else.

3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

People who are not developers are usually anti development.

MTR and Elives like this.
  4. norwoodman

norwoodman Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember the case in Melbourne recently on a proposal where the developer went to full lengths to encourage sustainable commuting in its design, and yet got refused because it didn't meet minimum car parking requirements?

5. Chilliblue

Understandably so. They are putting up with all the bad and none of the good.

6. RPI

I don't think that local residents should be able to have a say in capital cities. Capital cities need to accommodate dense developments and a lot more people, if you choose to live there then you should lose the right to object to density. We can't keep urban sprawl going. There will come a time when Brisbane will need to have highrise buildings everywhere within 5km of CBD. People are not going to like it but with population growth we have no choice.

gman65 and Perthguy like this.
  7. Chilliblue

Disagree. Those are residents that are paying their rates and have a right to determine how their environment should work.

Governments at all levels need to assess and assist development and population growth throughout all regions rather than taking the easy way out.

Unfortunately this takes long term planning something which many politicians cannot undertake with lobby groups pushing their causes.

8. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Agree. We also need to see more mid/high rise in areas in the middle ring in Brisbane, centred around public transport. Not everyone, in fact most people don't work in the CBD. It's started with areas like Chermside and garden city. I suspect Brisbane has an unknowing resistance to developing high density in the middle ring due to BCC being such a huge council that focuses on the CBD.

Perthguy and Whitecat like this.
  9. Ed Barton

To a degree.

How do govts assist development? What is taking the easy way out?

And short political cycles.

10. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I'm definitely a proud member of the nimby group. Keep high density living in the 1-2km ring from the CBD. Until demand exceeds supply in this area (its not even close), then start looking at the 5-10km ring.

11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I do not live there, but agree with others, they need local support and no where should developers just be able to do as they please.

If he is taking it to an election, he must believe it will have a benefit with support, none of them seem to risk much.

12. Chilliblue

In regards to Sydney, some off the top of my mind

Developers no longer pay levies to the utilities as they used to in the past.

Where zoning was for a height of 5-8 stories, overriding those zonings for mass high rise 25+ stories.

Placing or adjusting traffic flow to better suit the developers

13. RPI

I just think that in some areas we need to look at the greater needs of the population as opposed to the current residents of the area. Being part of a wider community there are sometimes you need to take one for the team. It is not even the developers benefits that I am talking about. I am saying that the BCC council and the state government should get together and say we need this density to accommodate the population growth. Yes it is going to upset some people but that is the price of living in a capital city.

1. take all blocks within 10km of the CBD that don't contain pre-1946 buildings and are of a minimum size (eg 1000m2) and remove height restrictions altogether.
    2. all blocks that contain pre-1946 houses that are within 400m of a train station or busway station do the same as above but require relocation of the house to DCP land within BCC.
    3. require any development of more than 3 storeys or 12 units to have basement parking and significantly more basement parking than current standards

And fast track the process and get rid of the red tape and infrastructure contributions.

gman65 likes this.
  14. Chilliblue

I have no problems if it has approved by the locals through an election process and the information is clear, defined and the necessary infrastructure is either in place or been planned for.

15. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Perfect example, Princes Highway near Rockdale, used to be 3 lanes, they developed a shopping centre with high rise apartments on top, they changed it from 3 lanes down to two so that people could turn right into the area, traffic was a nightmare on this road before they created this bottleneck, this should *never* happen, but it does.

Chilliblue likes this.
  16. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

I agree with you.
    I think in Sydney the council's wanted less car parking with new developments to encourage public transport use... Now Brisbane wants more... When public transport improves to a level where it is of a decent standard and cost then I say look at reducing car spaces but not before.

17. Ed Barton

What is the current standard?

I'd assume one park per bedroom as the minimum, and perhaps two parks for a one-bed unit.

Why does it have to be basement? I read a big developer (might have been high rise Harry) complaining that he is forced to go down for parking when above ground parking is significantly cheaper to build. Of course it's got the potential to be ugly, but I'm sure they could think of ways to make it look ok.

18. Chilliblue

According to the last NSW Planning meeting I attended this is what they believe

1. no unit dweller drives,
    2. one person only per 2 bedroom unit and
    3. they need no facilities other than a coffee shop in the building.

19. RPI

I would have no problem with well designed up either, but at grade parking won't provide enough parks for multistorey

Minimum Carpark Requirements at present in BCC
    1 per 1 bed
    1.25 per 2 bed
    1.5 per 3 bed or more
    .15 visitor per dwelling

Minimum Carpark Requirements at present in BCC if within 400m of major public transport
    .9 per 1 bed
    1.1 per 2 bed
    1.3 per 3 bed or more
    .15 visitor per dwelling

Maximum Carpark Requirements at present in BCC where in City Core
    .5 per 1 bed
    1 per 2 bed
    1.5 per 3 bed
    2 per 4 bed or morre
    1 visitor per 20 dwellings

20. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The new towers at Coorparoo (I've been told) are light on in the parking department. That seems to be likely to be the case going by your figures Darryl. It is on a bus route and hopefully the next stop for the busway might come nearer but for now the busses leave the busway and enter onto Old Cleveland Road closer to Stones Corner. It is too far to walk (IMO) in city clobber and heels or in summer, so all those people will catch a regular Old Cleveland Road bus and or try to park their cars in the surrounding streets. I see a parking nightmare developing down at the junction.

Bran likes this.