Another tower disaster - Skyview Castle Hill

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Gockie, 17th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

3. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

It becomes Skyview when the cracks appear in the penthouse ceilings. As Leonard Cohen sang -"There's a crack in everything..."

4. bamp

bamp Well-Known Member

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Clearly too many corners being cut from too many companies

wylie and Danny370z like this.
  6. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

From the article first posted. Seems utterly amateur hour.

7. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

it will continue to happen until the Government implements the recommendations in the Shergold Weir report (2015)

marty998, ff3 and Stoffo like this.
  8. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

This is getting ridiculous. Perhaps changes need to happen to hold people PERSONALLY responsible for serious breaches. Instead of hiding behind companies. Like the WHS laws in Qld (and maybe other states?). If you mess up badly you go to jail and cop a huge personal fine.

wylie, Toon and gman65 like this.
  9. bamp

bamp Well-Known Member

If only govt was willing to hold these cashed up companies to the same standard as they hold landlords.

marty998, wylie, Toon and 2 others like this.
  10. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I guess that's kind of a win for the buyers....
    As when you buy "off the plan" or prior to an occupancy certificate being issued the building is not completed, so no settlement, if rectification work's take too long (if it can be patched) then eventually the sunset clause could kick in = money refunded

From the article
    The NSW Building Commissioner has intervened to stop an occupation certificate from being issued for a major Sydney residential apartment complex after confirming "extensive signs of cracking"

marty998, neK, wylie and 4 others like this.
  11. Cindie

Cindie Member

What is saw cut ? The developer claimed that this is "minor cosmetic defect and will be rectified shortly" and the spokeswoman from the building commissioners officer said they are "happy to work with the developer to rectify this issue" . So, how easy is it to rectify?

12. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Saw cuts aren't really the issue (but they are cuts made into concrete to relieve/allow for stress cracking).

The BIG issue's are in BOLD

It states basement slabs were "not constructed in accordance with the approved structural engineers approved plans" and no 'saw joints', otherwise known as contraction points, were installed in some sections.
    It also stated the basement slabs are "missing expansion joints in numerous locations causing significant concrete spalling".

*you can often cut in expansion joints, even add in supports and bracing (at the cost of space) but if the slab it's all built on isn't "as per plans" then good luck fixing that ! (Adding in steel support plates can't fix everything)

Clean Cookie likes this.
  13. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Not another one! (Palm of hand slaps forehead)

Better off buying in a 30 year old building. As long as it’s still standing and not a pile of rubble on the ground lol.

willair likes this.
  14. Cindie

Cindie Member

Ah thanks! I have no idea how these things work. What's extension joint ? Are they easy to reinstall? Will that rectify the issue? Coz the developer seem pretty confident that this is nothing

15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Are the Opal Towers 30 yrs old yet?

datto likes this.
  16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

3 years I believe.

I think they are better off removing the top 5 levels in order to relieve that downward pressure.

Maybe the use of a turbo charged high pressure water cleaner could knock those levels off.lol.

gman65, KateSydney, ff3 and 2 others like this.
  17. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

I own the site adjacent to the Toplace Box Hill High Rise shopping centre site. Council required them to negotiate with me so that I was not left with a grudge strip of land 120 square metres that could not be used.
    They went back to council and said I was unreasonable as I did not accept their offer. They were allowed not to purchase the strip without negotiating.
    Their offer for land zoned 6 storey shopping centre was $45 per square metre. That’s less than the cost of supply and fit carpet to buy shopping centre land.
    My counter offer was $500 per square metre which they deemed excessive. The residential land has been marketed at $1600 per square metre but somehow lawyers for Toplace were only prepared to offer $45 for the shopping centre zoned land.

marty998 likes this.
  18. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

This looong list of reasons to avoid OTP high rise just got a bit longer.....

19. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

skater likes this.
  20. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

It’s fascinating how quick the government is acting on vaccines where problems are about 1 in 100,000. Yet they seem deaf in these Instances where the problems are are about 1 in 3. Two deaths in 3.6 million and I would hazard to say that the upset and torment of being locked into an opal towers situation would unfortunately cause more tragedy per million persons.