Another newbie from Melbourne

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by AlphabetSoup, 21st Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AlphabetSoup

AlphabetSoup Active Member

Hey there everyone,

I'm a long time lurker, early 30s female from the Melbourne inner suburbs. I've been thinking that we are living in interesting economic times, and thought it would be worthwhile creating an account so I could contribute to the discussion. Currently a renter, but had been saving towards a deposit for a first home.

Will be interesting to see what property prices do, as a recession may mean I have the potential to purchase in an area I thought I had been locked out of (I work in the healthcare sector, thank goodness).

Also thinking this site will provide a bit of relief from the hectic shifts that I will no doubt be subjected to in the coming weeks.

Lovely to meet you all!
    AlphabetSoup

Jess Peletier likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum.

How are healthcare workers protecting themselves day to day?

Have you had a chat with a broker to get an idea of what you can borrow because if prices do slump, this could be an opportunity (as you have suggested).

Stay safe. We need our healthcare workers so much right now.

3. AlphabetSoup

Thanks for the welcome Wylie!

On our ward, it feels as though we are in preparation mode, but we expect things to be more challenging in the coming weeks. Surprisingly, we haven't had any confirmed patient diagnoses of inpatients in our hospital yet (an inner metro tertiary hospital), but we have a fever clinic and staff are sent over there as soon as it is suspected they might be showing symptoms. Staff with symptoms are told to assume they are infected and to self-isolate until results come through. Results are now being fast tracked for healthcare staff.

We finally received delivery of PPE (personal protective equipment)... only for someone to promptly steal half of it (!). This was after existing stock had been stolen in smaller amounts. Theft is a worrying problem. Face masks are needing to be locked in scheduled (restricted) medications cupboards. Management are advising that we do our best to limit the use of PPE until stocks are replenished, so boy is it frustrating when someone comes along and steals our PPE. We're mindful that running out of PPE later on could be disastrous.

Over this weekend, we are extremely short on hand sanitiser across the whole hospital. We can still use soap and water, which is more effective - but not always accessible (some areas of the ward are not close by to basins/sinks).

With a day off tomorrow, I am trying to get things into place for my family before work gets swamped. I help provide care for my elderly grandparent who was recently diagnosed with stage iv cancer (who lives in a seperate residence) and is now under home based palliative care, so feeling anxious regarding the transmission of virus vs. not wanting to abandon them right at the end of their life. The hospital oncology team have started doing consults over the phone (unless of course patients would prefer to come into hospital), which is wonderful.

With a terminally ill family member and another two family members that look like they are about to lose their jobs, these definitely feel like uncertain times.

I haven't had a meeting with a broker yet, but it is certainly on my to do list.

I am just so pleased that the housing deposit I have been trying to build can act a financial buffer to keep family going in times of need.

Bunbury and The Y-man like this.
  4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Welcome to the forums!

Interesting times indeed - a very good time to have access to cash, I reckon, could be very fortunate timing for you!

And thank you for everything you'l be doing in the next few months - stay safe!

5. AlphabetSoup

Thanks Jess, I appreciate it :)

6. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member