Another Hello from Brisbane

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BrissyGuy, 13th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BrissyGuy

BrissyGuy New Member

The little message at the top of the window said "please consider posting some information about yourself in the Introduction Forum" so here I am ...!

I'm a bit of a late starter as I'm in my early 40's and because of my career I've had to move all around the country although I've been living in Brisbane, my hometown, for the last 6 years.

Thinking that I may have to move again at some time in the future but not in love with the idea of renting all the time, I decided to buy a small 2 bed unit 4 years ago in the Nundah area to live in, however (touch wood) I've been lucky enough to be stable in Brisbane since then. As it turns out, maybe because I'm single and work all the time, I've paid off the unit and am now wondering what I should do...

So here I am, single, got my own PPOR, a few shares, zero debt, a decent income (anyone want to date? Lol) and with a renewed interest in the property investing world.

I wouldn't say I'm a complete newbie as I have bought and read a lot of books including those by Jan Somers, Margaret Lomas, Anita Bell, Steve McKnight and a few others and I'm also familiar with the old SS forums as well.

So for now the idea is to continue to enjoy reading and gaining knowledge here but (without any actual hands on experience yet) hopefully I'll be able to join in and contribute with my own experiences one day soon...

On that thought, thanks to everyone who contributes on these forums...!

Pumpkin likes this.
  2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Welcome aboard :)

Brissy must be a good place if it's where you've settled down after travelling the country for a while.

Cheers

Jamie

Whitecat likes this.
  3. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Howdy @BrissyGuy. You're in the right place when it comes to investing (and who knows, maybe partner too :p).

As for what to do...sounds like taking action is the next step since you've been educating yourself for some time and haven't moved beond that. You've taken an important step by signing up and saying hello..next:
    • Get in touch with an awesome broker
    • Clarify your goals and run the numbers
    • Build an investment road map
    • Pull equity from the PPOR
    • Use it for deposit/purchase costs
    • Go shopping for IPs
    That's all there is to it ;)

kierank likes this.
  4. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! How do you like living in Nundah? It sounds like it's changed a lot in the past 4 years? Keen to invest further in the area? or looking elsewhere for other reasons?

Whitecat likes this.
  5. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Welcome to the forum, and well done on paying off your PPOR. Nice one :)

6. BrissyGuy

BrissyGuy New Member

Oh thank you everyone for all the welcoming...! :)

Firstly, Brissy is definitely a good place, actually it's a great place! Stable climate and good people :) As for Nundah in particular, love it to live. Close to work, family and friends. However I'm not so sure about Nundah for investing. I walked out onto my (top floor, north facing :p) balcony and counted 11 major blocks of units that didn't exist when I bought here 4 years ago. And my place was only 3 years old when I bought it. I've also noticed that sale prices and rental in my own block increased in the first 3 years but have decreased over the last 12 months. In fact the unit right next door to me has been vacant for over a month. The first time I've seen it vacant in 4 years as usually someone is ready to move in the day after the previous tenant moves out. Also I noticed the current advertised rental price is $50 lower than it was advertised for a year ago. Lots of competition in the area.

Steven Ryan, thanks for that action plan. Exactly what I had in mind. It's a bit of a tragic story however, I did have an awesome broker. I met him through my sister and her husband when I was looking to buy my current place. He was a great guy and would do anything for his clients. Unfortunately he had a very bad run with his health and passed away over a year ago. I haven't even tried to find anyone to replace him yet... :(

And thanks Jess, I guess you could say I was very disciplined in paying off the mortgage but it just happens when it's all work and no play...

Jess Peletier likes this.
  7. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a gorgeous female pc member here from Brisbane also that was divorced, had some debt from bad investment, but had a heart of gold, a pleasant personalty and on her peak of awesomeness....?

ok, I just became a BA ;)

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.