(Another) Granny Flat Build - Newcastle

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by serendip, 9th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. serendip

serendip Well-Known Member

Hi all

I would like to seek some feedback on floor plans so thought I would attempt recording the whole process.

Granny flat going behind a 3br house on a 630m2 block mid-ring Newcastle. The block is 15m wide and 36m+ long, angled back fence. Block slopes up from the street. I'll need to have a large tree removed from the backyard. Due to the slope we'll be going through a DA and will seek approval for the tree at the same time.

Demographic is largely families so the anticipated tenant is likely to be either a young couple or maybe a single parent.

Anticipated rent:
    - Front house $590 (currently $500, which is under market but we'll leave till after the build)
    - Granny flat $420

2. serendip

Floor plan choices!

These are the 2 current choices as they give the most yard possible to the front house. I have a distinct preference but interested in what others think.

upload_2022-5-9_16-30-52.png

upload_2022-5-9_16-31-47.png

3. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Floor plan 1 for me.
    Bit hard without full context but looks more space in bedrooms and dining / living looks better.

4. Mezza

Mezza Active Member

Out of interest serendip, do you mind me asking which granny flat builder you decide to use and how you have found them to date?

I am looking to build a GF on the central coast and current starting the search for the right builder.

5. serendip

This is my preference as well. Due to the slope and width of the property I will probably end up going with the 2nd floor plan. It'll keep costs down, leave more usable garden for both the front house & the granny flat. It will also have less impact on the neighbours from an overshadowing perspective. The property manager doesn't think it will affect rent. Having said all that, I would rather live in 1.

craigc likes this.
  6. serendip

Hi Mezza, at the moment I'm talking to Backyard Grannys based on a couple of recommendations. I may also speak to Cubitts who were also recommended.

My experience so far is good. She is very knowledgeable, thorough and has made some good suggestions. Their level of standard inclusions is great for an investment property.

Things are going more slowly than I would like, this is not entirely my contact's fault, I'm in Sydney and hard to catch during business hours. She has had COVID & only works part time. But we've started booking catch up times & this is working really well.

On the downside they are a little inflexible so far on what they will include. For eg, the drainage for the front house could be improved, I am keen to explore getting this done at the same time, given the backyard will be a mess anyway, but so far they are reluctant to consider it.

7. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Just wondering why you are going DA over CDC - we have avoided DA wherever possible. So would address the tree issue separately and we’ll before submitting anything for the granny flat.

8. JLC

JLC Well-Known Member

I have also been looking at backyard granny's. Can I ask what they are quoting for the second plan? I spoke to them about 6 months ago for a different design but they were thinking about 190k - I imagine things have only gone up since then....

9. serendip

I don't have a quote yet, meeting 24th. Happy to keep the thread updated though. I'm going to keep some of the costs lower through using a hip roof & classic design rather than some of their more upmarket designs. It's going behind a 1959 built house & won't be visible from the street so I can't justify the higher cost.

10. serendip

I don't know the exact planning rule in play but apparently because of the slope of the block if I went through CDC the granny flat would have to come forward about 6m from the back fence. If we go DA we'll be OK to get the 3m set back. I want to leave as much as garden as possible for the front house. The angle of the back of the block will leave a good size garden for the granny flat.

That had been my original intent, to sort the tree out first then CDC for the granny. But if we have to do DA for the granny anyway, we'll do the tree at the same time.

11. Mezza

Mezza Active Member

Hi Serendip

thank you for providing the builders name and your experience to date. I would be interested to hear your experiences over the build.

how have you found the DA process? To maximise the layout, I am considering the DA avenue as well.

12. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Won’t the neighbours object to the 3 metre setback on the rear fence.

One thing I’ve learnt - neighbours hate granny flats.

13. serendip

I think it will be OK. There are a couple of things in my favour: the back of my yard is angled and we will set the granny flat square to the front, so there will only be 1 tiny point where it is only 3m. By the time you get to the other side of the block it will 8m from the back fence. There are 2 houses that partially share the back fence, the houses behind are 15m+ from that fence so the closest point will be 18m from either house.

14. JLC

JLC Well-Known Member

How is this coming along, Serendip?